• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FltAdml. Wolf

Questions about our group

I'm not 100% sure if this is the right place to post my question, but alot has changed organisationally since I was last here. Several weeks ago I submitted a request to return to the group after several years away from simming. I haven't heard back yet. I know that there are probably 100 places that things could have gotten hung up, the web app, my own e-mail account, etc. Regardless, I am interested in returning and so I figured I would post here to see what I need to do to further the process along. Thank you in advance.

I'm not 100% sure if this is the right place to post my question, but alot has changed organisationally since I was last here. Several weeks ago I submitted a request to return to the group after several years away from simming. I haven't heard back yet. I know that there are probably 100 places that things could have gotten hung up, the web app, my own e-mail account, etc. Regardless, I am interested in returning and so I figured I would post here to see what I need to do to further the process along. Thank you in advance.

It's probably hung up in paper work. :unsure5: The EC has to approve returning players now. I'm sorry you are having to wait.

Edited by Toni

Guest Tribbles_Are_Cute

Hello Everyone! (I hope I'm posting in the right area)

I have a couple of quick questions,

Firstly, I submitted an application a couple of days ago, and haven't heard anything.

I am not sure if I should re-submit (in case I accidentally made a mistake in my email address) or wait it out.

Do you notify applicants even if they don't make the cut?

Secondly, I have a growing interest in the Gideon race but haven't been able to find much on them :sad4::(

Is there a place you can recommend? I did have a look at the SB118 wiki (I loved the range of playable races!) but was hoping for a bit more.

Thanks in advance! :wub1:

Firstly, I submitted an application a couple of days ago, and haven't heard anything.

I am not sure if I should re-submit (in case I accidentally made a mistake in my email address) or wait it out.

Do you notify applicants even if they don't make the cut?

Secondly, I have a growing interest in the Gideon race but haven't been able to find much on them :sad4::(

Is there a place you can recommend? I did have a look at the SB118 wiki (I loved the range of playable races!) but was hoping for a bit more.

1) Online Application - can't help you with that, but I can yodel it up to the brass! - I promise you'll hear from them shortly, if not already!

Yodel-eh-he-ho! Hey Brass!

2) Alright, the Gideons... I'm glad you like the race... is there a lot on them? Besides our SB118 Wiki - which is one of the more comprehensive ones out there - I would point you to:

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Gideon

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Gideon_%28planet%29

also look at the wiki for the episode that featured Gideons...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mark_of_Gideon

- now if you still find yourself unsure of what the Gideons are like... try and make them your own. The info may be out there, but the Gideons aren't exactly the most well known of the Canon Trek races, you have a lot of latitude to add your own views and perspectives to them!

Welcome!

Guest Tribbles_Are_Cute

Thank you LT Thomas Gregory!

I have already looked at the Alpha Wiki stuff as well as the episode on Gideon. I just wasn't sure if there was more.

You were quite correct when you said there wasn't much on them.

From what I have seen they are basically like Terrans except they are super healthy. eg. they regenerate, are immune to most diseases (except of course Vegan choriomeningitis ;) ) and as such have dramatically increased life spans, plus their home world is incredibly overcrowded (or was at the end of 'Mark of Gideon').

Thanks again, hope to be in service soon! :thumbsup:

Guest Adani

Hello Everyone!

Ah so I just had one question in regard to the training program which I start tomorrow(Can't post it on that topic because I'm still seeking activation on my Forum account), It says I should be looking for a yahoo! group invitation, now when should I recieve that?

Thanks!

-Vesper

AKA

Adani

It sounds like you have already received confirmation of training. As soon as the Training Staff is all set, they will add you to the training yahoo group along with the rest of the cadets. It should only take a couple days or so. Either way, the Academy Staff will be in touch with you!

Good Luck!

Hey guys! Probibly just being antsy. I sent an application for re admitance sometime last week and haven't got word back. I'm hoping I didn't give the wrong e-mail. ;) Here's hoping for a class

Hey guys! Probibly just being antsy. I sent an application for re admitance sometime last week and haven't got word back. I'm hoping I didn't give the wrong e-mail. ;) Here's hoping for a class

Sorry about that! Yes, your request to return was received. Next class probably starting on Monday :)

:) Fantastic, its going to be great! Thanks!

Forgive me if this is the wrong place to post my questions and if so, feel free to delete this and send me a PM instead. :)

First, I sent an e-mail to FltAdml Wolf prior to posting since I didn't realize this option was here. I say that just so I don't appear to be spamming you across all mediums.

A friend and I came across your primary information site (which looks incredible!) and are very interested in participating. We both are familiar with PBeM, mature gamers with many years of RPGs and such behind us. As they say, "With great power comes great responsibility", well, I've found that with maturity and age comes great amounts of stuff stopping me from enjoying the ridiculously long, but greatly enjoyable tabletop games with friends that I used to enjoy. So, to keep from entering RPG rehab or forced to troll shadowy allyway sites and unsavory types to get my RPG fix, I'm hoping this site will keep me able to enjoy writing and immerse myself in the Star Trek universe with others of similar mindset.

A few questions came up as we were talking about the site and excitedly perusing through all the great information.

1. What year are you set in.

2. Does the site year move forward or do we sort of ignore the passage of time to facilitate staying in the preferred era?

3. Do you support Enlisted characters?

4. Is MACO a possible career path?

5. How do you request a "restricted" race? For example, on a previous site that fell apart, I was enjoying exploring the Cardassians. The time period (and direction) for that board was in the Star Trek Online (2409+) universe where Cardassians are more common in the Federation. Obviously if your time period doesn't support them, I understand any restrictions and fully support that. I only ask so I know what the process would be if the option is there to explore.

6. Have you considered, again tempered with whatever time period leanings, opening up other organizations either as "exchange officers" or even a parallel writing such as the Klingon Defense Force or Andorian military or other similar non-Federation organization?

Thanks for any guidance and time given and again, if I've posted in the wrong place, please feel free to send any information by PM and delete or move this post as you see fit.

Looking forward to hearing more...

I can answer a couple of the questions - I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to answer the rest :)

The current game year is 2387 and we move along in 'real time' so there is progression. So, currently it's August 2387, and in a couple of days it'll be September 2387. There's some information on the main site about the stardates we use. As we have several ships in the fleet it helps keep some consistency and makes it easier to refer to past missions.

That said, as this group has been running since 1994, it has a fair amount of its own history now, some of which isn't canon. For example, a few years ago there was a brief war between the Federation on the Gorn.

I'm not sure what the score is on Enlisted characters so I'll let someone else answer that. Certainly an Enlisted officer who decided to take a commission to Ensign would be a great character.

Likewise, I'll let someone else answer about restricted characters. They're usually considered on a case-by-case basis so I suspect the best bet might be to 'pitch' your character concept. Although I'll let someone who knows for definite confirm that!

As for MACO - I'm not familiar with them, although we certainly have Starfleet Marines here.

Hope that's helpful!

First, I sent an e-mail to FltAdml Wolf prior to posting since I didn't realize this option was here. I say that just so I don't appear to be spamming you across all mediums.

Responded to your e-mail, as well :)

It's not really something we've done, but it's not out of the question. The sim really revolves around commissioned officers, and is set up to follow a natural officer path. I'd recommend that if this is something you're interested in, you follow the regular procedure, and just make note of your desire to be non-com when you fill out your end-of-training Placement Questionnaire. We'll talk with Commanding Officers around the fleet and place you with someone who will accommodate your request.

Per Memory Alpha, MACO was not a part of StarFleet, and apparently doesn't exist anymore as we haven't seen it onscreen since then. As Sinda mentioned, Marine is certainly an officer path (though the one less taken, by most of our people).

5. How do you request a "restricted" race? For example, on a previous site that fell apart, I was enjoying exploring the Cardassians. The time period (and direction) for that board was in the Star Trek Online (2409+) universe where Cardassians are more common in the Federation. Obviously if your time period doesn't support them, I understand any restrictions and fully support that. I only ask so I know what the process would be if the option is there to explore.

Sign up requesting a Cardassian. We'll review the profile, and assuming there's nothing too outlandish, it shouldn't be an issue ;)

6. Have you considered, again tempered with whatever time period leanings, opening up other organizations either as "exchange officers" or even a parallel writing such as the Klingon Defense Force or Andorian military or other similar non-Federation organization?

We've talked about it in the past, but couldn't find enough people to help start it. Do you know about a dozen people who might want to sign up and start a pilot project? :P

I can answer a couple of the questions - I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to answer the rest :)

The current game year is 2387 and we move along in 'real time' so there is progression. So, currently it's August 2387, and in a couple of days it'll be September 2387. There's some information on the main site about the stardates we use. As we have several ships in the fleet it helps keep some consistency and makes it easier to refer to past missions.

That said, as this group has been running since 1994, it has a fair amount of its own history now, some of which isn't canon. For example, a few years ago there was a brief war between the Federation on the Gorn.

I'm not sure what the score is on Enlisted characters so I'll let someone else answer that. Certainly an Enlisted officer who decided to take a commission to Ensign would be a great character.

Likewise, I'll let someone else answer about restricted characters. They're usually considered on a case-by-case basis so I suspect the best bet might be to 'pitch' your character concept. Although I'll let someone who knows for definite confirm that!

As for MACO - I'm not familiar with them, although we certainly have Starfleet Marines here.

Hope that's helpful!

Sinda,

That was very helpful! Thanks for chiming in. :)

I only ask about the current "year" since that sets the politics in place. As such, unless I'm mistaken, we are still allied with the Klingons, have an open conversation with the Romulans toward peace, and speaking of the Romulans, may have just (or soon) experienced the Supernova destruction of their world. Also, as the dominion war is now a comfortable memory, we should be allied with the Cardassians as well. If so, I would be very interested in incorporating a Cardassian if possible. :)

As for MACO, according to the Memory Alpha site, they started out as a military organization prior to Star Fleet and filled the role similar to the modern day marine corps. Generally they have only been explored in the Enterprise television series, but the Star Trek Online timeline, which I think is canon, has stated that they continued on into the 25th century as opposed to previous thinking that they were absorbed into the Star Fleet forces. Again, I only ask so I know what is "canon" for this site regardless of what any other source, even the 'official' ones say. Also because my friend has been RPing a great senior enlisted MACO on the other site and would probably be excited about the possibility of creating a similar (enlisted or officer) individual here if possible. If not MACO, I have noticed a "Marines" forum section which seems that some sort of similar group is an option if not "MACO" themselves per se. :)

Speaking of the enlisted, I asked because my friend which played the MACO had him as a senior enlisted, as opposed to an officer. So, technically he was more "advanced" in his career than other starting out individuals, but as he was enlisted (even senior enlisted), he was still technically junior, and always will be per his rank, to even an Ensign. However, as anyone in the military can attest, even though the bottom tier officer outranks us, we have earned respect by being one of the grizzled old-timers that a smart officer will look to for advice before making their final decisions. If that option was there, I can see it working just as any other position on the ship as has been shown by others such as Chief Miles O'Brien who was an enlisted troop though just as valuable to the Star Trek lore as any officer. Also, within the scope of this site, I suppose it would work the same, just with less concern of rank progression though technically progression along the enlisted track could be followed as well, I suppose.

Anyhow, thanks for the insight and I'm looking forward to hearing more before I put in an application!

Well, looks like you wrote as I was writing so forgive the "overlap". :)

It's not really something we've done, but it's not out of the question. The sim really revolves around commissioned officers, and is set up to follow a natural officer path. I'd recommend that if this is something you're interested in, you follow the regular procedure, and just make note of your desire to be non-com when you fill out your end-of-training Placement Questionnaire. We'll talk with Commanding Officers around the fleet and place you with someone who will accommodate your request.

Thanks! Again, the only reason I ask is that I'm sort of "fact finding" for both me and a friend and I know he would be more interested in being Senior Enlisted rather than an officer, though I also know he could handle either. I think he just likes playing the grizzled old Sergeant who can spend his day yelling at young enlisted troops without all the paperwork that officers get stuck with! :)

Per Memory Alpha, MACO was not a part of StarFleet, and apparently doesn't exist anymore as we haven't seen it onscreen since then. As Sinda mentioned, Marine is certainly an officer path (though the one less taken, by most of our people).

I used that same source and though it never said it doesn't exist, it did point out that it wasn't seen again in any of the sources. However, and this is why I asked about timeline and canon before, the Star Trek Online source does indicate that it does exist though it was never explored in any previous medium so I wasn't sure if it did or didn't. Much like the enlisted crew question. Though they aren't explored, with the exception of Miles O'brien, we know that there were enlisted crew throughout the Star Trek timeline.

Again, if "our canon" is that it doesn't exist or it was absorbed into Starfleet as a "Starfleet Marine" entity, that's fine. I just wanted to make sure I knew what the options were. :) As for it not taken by most people, I think you will most assuredly have one person who will jump at the chance and he'll probably brow beat me into joining alongside him. Is that how most of us got conned into joining the real military? High School buddies: "Come on! I'm going to join, we can join at the same time and see the world!" :)

We've talked about it in the past, but couldn't find enough people to help start it. Do you know about a dozen people who might want to sign up and start a pilot project? :P

Be careful what you wish for! The same friend that I refer to above is a severe Klingon afficienado and would probably love to run a Klingon Defense Force ship, even if only as a "pet project" to see how well it would work... If that is a possibility, let me know and we can throw some more ideas at you later!

Lastly, thanks for the speedy and informative replies! Look forward to some new recruit applications later today...

Again, if "our canon" is that it doesn't exist or it was absorbed into Starfleet as a "Starfleet Marine" entity, that's fine. I just wanted to make sure I knew what the options were. :) As for it not taken by most people, I think you will most assuredly have one person who will jump at the chance and he'll probably brow beat me into joining alongside him. Is that how most of us got conned into joining the real military? High School buddies: "Come on! I'm going to join, we can join at the same time and see the world!" :)

Hehe!

We've never had MACOs, as far as I know, in our sim, so I'm going to assume that they were absorbed into the StarFleet Marines for us :)

Lastly, thanks for the speedy and informative replies! Look forward to some new recruit applications later today...

We look forward to seeing it!

Hello,

I applied and was accepted about a week ago, when will the next training session start?

Starts today :)

You should receive your welcome letter later this afternoon.

Guest Guest

I have a question not for group command, but for people who recently joined and are new to this.

How much time you are spending doing this?

On what is most of your time spent?

Are you big Star Trek fans and do you spend a lot of time researching for your writing?

How much were you writing before joining?

I have a question not for group command, but for people who recently joined and are new to this.

Are you big Star Trek fans and do you spend a lot of time researching for your writing?

Hiya.

I'm a newly joined individual. I was excepted into the fleet after my Cadet Cruise in July this year and as such am still a little Ensign :teehee:

To answer your questions.

1. I sim whenever I can. I can usually do one sim a day :) That being said sometimes I won't sim for up to 4 days. It depends on the time I have and if I am waiting on other simmers. The longest sim I've ever written by myself took about an hour & a half. Recently I wrote a much longer sim with another member of my crew which took 3 days, where I spent about an hour a day writing a little bit.

2. I spend the majority of my time simming. After that, probably on my ship's forum. There are other activities you can do to help out though, like the wiki. Due to my work and other commitments, I'm sticking with simming right now. The beauty of the group is, you only need to give as much time as you have.

3. I Love Star Trek. But believe me my knowledge is not that great, I only started getting into Star trek after the most recent movie. My biggest fear after joining was my limited knowledge about the trek world would be a huge disability for me. I couldn't have been more wrong! As an officer on my ship said to me: sim what you know, the Star Trek stuff will come later; and she was right! As for research, if I am stuck I usually head straight to Memory Alpha, ( http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main ). I don't spend vast hours glued to my screen looking up trek stuff, but if I know a certain something is coming up in a sim, or has been mentioned in a sim, I can usually find it, or something similar, on Memory Alpha.

4. Before joining UFOP the only writing I had done was short stories that I kept hidden away in the deepest, darkest parts of my house. UFOP is the only time I have done anything even remotely 'public'. So my writing experience is not vast. During a Cadet Cruise you get shown the style the group sims in and after you get assigned to your ship and ( If it's anything like the amazing USS Victory ) you will be assigned a mentor, who answers your questions, and helps you along the way. So you don't need to be an accomplished author, I know I'm certainly not :P

I hope that was helpful!

Take Care

~Tressa

I'm not really new -- I joined in December 2008 -- but I thought I'd toss in another perspective, since I expect we all have slightly different answers to your questions.

1. I spending time reading sims every day, but usually only sim 3-4 times a week myself. I would say on an average week, between reading and writing I spend something like 10 hours a week. That being said, I'm also currently writing 3 characters, which new players rarely do. When I first started out, it was probably closer to 6 hours a week. I clearly wasn't as dedicated as Tressa :whistling:

2. It really depends on the week. Sometimes you'll have a week where there are only 2 or 3 sims a day, so most of my time is spent writing. Then other weeks, you'll get a dozen or more sims in a day, so on average you spend more time reading than writing.

3. I'm not a huge Trek fan and would classify my Trek knowledge as average. I do some research on things that important to the plot or timelines, but not a lot. The most research I do is medical research, as one of the characters I write for is a doctor.

4. I was writing quite a bit before joining, but found this to be a good way to keep the creative juices flowing when I'm having trouble with one of my other projects.

Edited by Whale

I'm only a Lt (jg). I feel I can answer. :)

I generally spend a good couple hours a day simming. But I have many NPC characters that take up my time... ;) All that is required is three sims a week, which I would say is about three hours work per week.

Hmm! I guess I spend most of my time thinking of witty things to say and interesting reactions. I'm dumb, so this takes ages. :)

I'm fairly big. I've seen most of DS9, all of Enterprise, some TNG, all the movies, no original series, some Voyager... :)

A lot! I still do. :)

Thank you for your answers. I’m sorry I didn’t respond before. Because of the job, more task then job actually, which I accepted I'm moving from my hometown in Oregon to a place on the diametrically opposite part of country. I'm in academy but it seems I'm going to fail it this time because of internet problems.

I always considered me being huge fan and knowledgeable about Trek, seeing all shows at least three four times (have them all on DVD), all films are safely stored in my collection (some in several versions) and reading more than 200 Star Trek books. Then I met that 12 years old kid who pulled me dramatically down to Earth with his knowledge of Star Trek. I was fascinated with him till I found out that his knowledge is not much better than mine, but much different than mine. While I can tell you exact exchange between Spock and his parents in Journey to Babel, he can tell you all the specs of any ship, not just federation, but some like Sarr Theln Warship, for which I have never heard.

I am reader, I was never writing before in my life.

Those two facts made me afraid of joining. I know for this Fleet for good five years and only reason I now decided to join is the fact I met several people who are members here on facebook. My decision is actually very odd, since one of girls dismissed me like a stray puppy. :sad4::huh2:

Thank you for your answers. I’m sorry I didn’t respond before. Because of the job, more task then job actually, which I accepted I'm moving from my hometown in Oregon to a place on the diametrically opposite part of country. I'm in academy but it seems I'm going to fail it this time because of internet problems.

I always considered me being huge fan and knowledgeable about Trek, seeing all shows at least three four times (have them all on DVD), all films are safely stored in my collection (some in several versions) and reading more than 200 Star Trek books. Then I met that 12 years old kid who pulled me dramatically down to Earth with his knowledge of Star Trek. I was fascinated with him till I found out that his knowledge is not much better than mine, but much different than mine. While I can tell you exact exchange between Spock and his parents in Journey to Babel, he can tell you all the specs of any ship, not just federation, but some like Sarr Theln Warship, for which I have never heard.

I am reader, I was never writing before in my life.

Those two facts made me afraid of joining. I know for this Fleet for good five years and only reason I now decided to join is the fact I met several people who are members here on facebook. My decision is actually very odd, since one of girls dismissed me like a stray puppy. :sad4::huh2:

Before I joined, years ago, I too was an avid fan and I had read several novels. I was never a writer and I still do not concider myself a very good writer, but the people in this group helped and the creativity this group allows, increases those skills over time. I am sorry to hear RL has taken you from training, but I am sure there will always be a spot open if you wish to return.

Before I joined, years ago, I too was an avid fan and I had read several novels. I was never a writer and I still do not concider myself a very good writer, but the people in this group helped and the creativity this group allows, increases those skills over time. I am sorry to hear RL has taken you from training, but I am sure there will always be a spot open if you wish to return.

I didn't fail yet. I just got to my new town and I'm looking for a lodge for a few days till my house will be ready for living again. Now I have stable Internet connection. My Commander told me what I have to do to make it and I have high hopes to be with you in a jiffy.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.