• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

The next show

So I was thinking about what the next show should be and thought I'd enlighten you all to my idea, and warn Paramount that IF THEY WANT TO USE THIS IDEA, THEY HAVE TO PAY ME LOTS AND LOTS OF MONEY! So there -- because every time I have a great idea, someone else makes it up and gets the credit.

But seriously, after giving Trek a few years to rest, I think they should go in a different direction than they have in the past. They've been completely off-base with the recent rumors about a movie that goes back to Academy or whatnot. Forget the movies and forget rehashing the same things we've seen a dozen times. What we need is a regular creative show to spark people's interest again.

And what have we seen become very popular in sci-fi lately? Nitty-gritty and the dark underbelly. Take a look at two popular shows: Firefly and Battlestar Galactica. The two of them share both of those characteristics.

First, look at Battlestar Galactica. This series has done great, and one of the major factors is a darker view of what's going on. From BSG, a new Trek series can take this darker, yet ultimately very inspiring and motivational outlook because it shows how humanity can persevere in the face of terrible circumstances. I don't want another DS9 again, because that was just depressing, but it's still possible to show us difficult times without making it a war.

Second, you have Firefly. Although it was not wildly popular, it still has a large fan following. And I'm not saying that you copy the Space Western idea (which Joss copied from Roddenberry anyway...), but instead, take from Firefly the premise that you have a crew who isn't working for "the establishment."

So basically, I think that a Trek show which actually shows us how Federation society works, from the view of society, would do very well. We've always seen things from the StarFleet POV. Now show us what it's like to be a Terran who's just squeeking by on what she can get. A diverse crew from species we didn't see too much of on the shows. Less Vulcans, more Deltans -- etc.

The show could focus more on going from world-to-world making a living. Shows us the bars that the TNG crew never went to. Avoid a Firefly rip off, but make it a new prospective on the Federation. It can't all be utopian fishcakes, right?

I would agree, but I think the federation is far too rosy and happy for the underbelly to be nearly as dark as is needed. I would actually suggest switching the series to a compleatly different side of things. For example a series which focused on the Romulans or Klingons which examines their culture and issues within it rather than beating the old ideas of the Federation again and again.

Also like Babylon 5 and BattleStar Galactica build your stories long before you begin the series and STICK WITH IT! If you wish to add social commentary than fine but do it within the bounds of the series, the followers of trek are long done with the segways of Voyager and TNG.

Also like Babylon 5 and BattleStar Galactica build your stories long before you begin the series and STICK WITH IT! If you wish to add social commentary than fine but do it within the bounds of the series, the followers of trek are long done with the segways of Voyager and TNG.

That's a good point. A pre-planned plot arc across the whole series would do wonders for Trek.

As far as using Klingons or Romulans, I think you'd have a hard time selling this to the general public to watch. The main reason being that people need to connect to the primary characters to feel compelled to watch. A show like Bernie Mac is popular with the African-American community because the majority of the characters are African-American, and the show humorously touches on those social aspects. Similarly, all the captains of Trek have been human because people can identify most closely with those character's emotions and motivations.

But I do believe that there would be plenty of good plot work that could be done by having the crew explore business and society in Romulan, Klingon, and Cardassian space. This gives you the "stranger in a strange land" plot angle, which can work well.

Didn't firefly get cancelled due to low viewing figures? Not exactly the kind of think paramount would like to be even remotely associated with.

Yes but it was also arguably in the worst veiwing times possible which is thought to have contributed to it's downfall. It was however sucessful enough to spawn a movie which has done well in theatres.

Didn't firefly get cancelled due to low viewing figures?  Not exactly the kind of think paramount would like to be even remotely associated with.

Erm, yes and no. It was cancelled because Fox never gave it a chance. The show was intended to be shown with a pilot which explained the background of the characters, but Fox decided they wanted to show a regular episode instead -- so the pilot wasn't aired. Also, as Sirkit said, it was on at a bad time. Fox didn't promote it like they should have, and took it off the air before people even knew about it.

Yes but it was also arguably in the worst veiwing times possible which is thought to have contributed to it's downfall. It was however sucessful enough to spawn a movie which has done well in theatres.

The movie really only did marginal... but the DVD sales for the show itself were phenomenal :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I think the real key is the writing.

Fire Fly worked not because it was gritty, but because the writers took us some place different and showed us a new world, while at the same time give fantastic characterization. The Fire Fly movies was very good, but it felt a bit watered down because the characterization wasn't as uncomprimising; the use of language not as lyrical.

I'm watching Far Scape season one right now and am finding the same thing. The writing and ideas are fantastic.

What Star Trek has really lacked is good story tellers. They did dark on DS9 and a bit on Voyager. It worked on DS9 when the characters were strong. Voyager I know some loved, but I never felt deeply for the characters in part because they didn't seem true to themselves. I don't think Janeway the scientist would ever have been as . . . well I leave that.

Enterprise had a chance, but than fell to formula.

Give the show good writers who have something they want to say and will feel the episodes with emotion and we can save the franchise.