• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Does this mean the end Starebase 118?

Kwame Alexander

I've seen this, and it might be cool, but I see a number of reasons that SB118 will live on...

One, everyone here has 60 terabyte drives and video cards capable of rendering millions of frames a second in stunning color and realistic physics with sound cards currently untouched by THX, Dolby or Creative Labs...it's called a brain. No limits baby...

Two, I've talked to Wolf about how much money the UFoP takes in from its players. We're all cheapskates... (Hint: Go Here!)

Three, can they possibly compete with the level of plot and player involvement that we do?

Fear not, I think SB118 will survive this.

Edited by Cyrus Kai

There will always be room for good, old-fashioned role playing :) MMORPGs like Star Trek: Online are a notoriously lacking in characterization, and very strong on shoot-em-up type atmospheres. Apples and oranges, really.

Personaly, I don't think any of us have anything to worry about when it comes to star trek online. I mean, even if I (and I'm simply using myself as an example) were to sign up with star trek online, I'd still be part of this group. Frankly, I think that it doesn't get any better then good old fashioned PBeM rpgs. There's just so much more you can do with an rpg like that (especially with a group like this one). But i have to admit, the online game does look ipretty cool.

I second Kai's opinion. The main strong point of our community here lies beyond graphics and pre-made games. We use the one thing many media forget, our own brain and fantasy. For me, UFoP will always be my favorite since I use my character not only for a hobby, but to process real life events as well by letting similar things happen to my character and watch how things unfold, learn from them. Try to find a game that can do that!

Television, games and things like that (no matter how much fun they are at times) really lack the personal touch. RPG (within UFoP mostly) rests upon YOUR mind, YOUR fantasy. There is not a game in the world which can replace that.

I also agree with Wolf, apples and oranges. Of course, who knows what way RPG will develope in the future. I myself am 'constantly' thinking of how to make RPG more visual. I find our fleet sites fulfill that hunger a bit. But who knows, perhaps UFoP will find even a better and more visual way of simming (animating plots at the end of every mission per ship might be a possibilty in the future).

I will bet on our winning 'horse' anyday.

Strikes me that UFOP has four distinct features.

1) Star Trek

2) Role Playing

3) Writing

4) Community

The people I've met in the club seem to be attracted to all these features to some degree. If Star Trek online could offer all three it we would have to compette against it. I suspect however that it is really about war gaming and does not have much for writing.

I suspect that there will be some UFOP members who join Star Trek: Online, and there's nothing wrong with that. I may even do so :) I enjoy MMORPGs, but I find that it's easy to get tired of one (or all of them) after a few days of blurry-eyed, late-night playing.

But, as mentioned, we provide a different type of service. And I think in the end, we'll still keep a strong membership.

If it's like Ultima Online I wouldn't like it.

I tried Ultima Online, spent the money not only on the software but then to join the online group. Total waste of money. I hated it. It was hard to control and hard to play. No creativity needed. It totally sucked!

I love SB118, I love most of the people, the interaction and the creativity we have here.

MMORPGs can't even come close to imitating what we have.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Plus, as a pro (and con) we're not limited to what a computer can render. Sometimes it leads to the USS Make-Stuff-Up, but I think in general that freedom is a good thing.

And we're all control freaks, anyway. We'd all get bored of not being able to be in charge of things, even if only our characters. Here you're free to try anything, they're you're dealing with a lot of rules.

Give me freedom, or give me a $60 box and a $25 monthly fee! :D

I think the key difference between any MMORPG and PBEM is simple: Who's in the driver's seat?

With MMORPGs, aside from mods, you're subject to whoever is creating the game. Sure, you can make your character look different and you choose how they respond, but it's scripted and predictable. With UFOP, the world is YOURS. You can write and create whatever you wish, at any time, with almost no barriers. THAT is where UFOP's strength lies and why it will easily survive Star Trek: Online.

• 4 months later...

I have a feeling (as long as I can afford it) that I will be playing both of these games. I may or may not decide to use Pietro in STO, but I know for sure I plan on keeping him here. Besides the fact STO is probably still quite a long way from being released anyway - we're running strong, and will continue to.

... which is why UFOP needs to make its biggest push ever, this year, to gain new membership :) We need to secure our ranks and finally push ourselves into the spotlight. We are perhaps the longest running group under one leadership entity on the internet today, and every captain in our group can trace his or her "geneology" back to the first ships in UFOP over 10 years ago. Pretty amazing, if you ask me :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My thought's on this Online Trek Game are this:

Who has any kind of control on it, you would get people who just run around killing and maiming those who they are not supposed to just for the fun of it, a bit like World of Warcraft really.

If there are no rules and no-one to govern the game it really wouldn't be Trek like in my opinion.

I like it here in UFoP, always have, probably always will too, it gives me the escapism that I need from my boring mundane real life job, though my life is good recently, and looking to stay that way for quite a while too I hope.