• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

[2005: JUN-JUL] Writing Challenge Discussion

Jordan aka FltAdmlWolf

Is it permissable to use non-canon information, such as the events from Star Trek books, in order to create a story? The story idea I've had floating around in my head deals with the events from the Worlds of Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Trill and the neo-purist movement that caused great devestation to the planet.

Most definitely.

Just remember that it has to be a Star Trek story, but cannot include Canon characters, like Data, Picard, etc.

Yes we've had that aspect of Star Trek history from a novel mentioned before... no problem at all... I look forward to it -always like the trill!

hmmm... mind you if this carries on I can tell I'm going to have to fork out and buy that novel!

Don't worry. All of my characters are from my own head. There is one part where I'm going to need to mention a treatment that was implemented by Dr. Bashir, but I won't mention his name, and it will be only in passing. There will be no direct conversation or actions that involve him.

I'll have to look up that story of yours Idril.

Rocar, definitely get the book!

You can mention canon characters. What we don't want is a story about the crew of the Enterprise, or a story where the crew of DS9 is all there. We want it to be based on your own characters, in your own story. But mentioning canon characters, locations, ships, etc. is okay.

I think it would be easier to create a story from scratch...

• 4 weeks later...

Excuse me, where did our stories go?

Or were they that bad that they were withdrawn..

I'm sure there were a couple more up there....

The databases got lost, the forums are reset, more or less, to a few weeks ago.

I'm working on writing an entry of my own, I should be able to make the deadline.

I have decided to write another piece as I have missed out before for being late,

I am not sure where my other work is, probably lost in some unknown parallel

universe.. Anyway, I hope you like this and I hope it gets better reviews than my

last one...

I know I should have saved my work to repost be believe me, I'm a far worse

critic of my own work than any of you could possibly be...

Hope all you Yanks had a good day yesterday, take care..

oh my gosh...its a good job i didn't delete the copy of my story...

Yes, per the e-mail to the fleet, the database for the forums was deleted by our previous host, and had to be restored to a previous version dating from 6/18/05. Although it wasn't my fault, I still apologize to those who lost stories. I know losing a labor of love like that can be quite annoying.

not your fault, these things happen :)

Yes, per the e-mail to the fleet, the database for the forums was deleted by our previous host, and had to be restored to a previous version dating from 6/18/05. Although it wasn't my fault, I still apologize to those who lost stories. I know losing a labor of love like that can be quite annoying.

LOL Not exactly a labour of love Sir, but thank you for the apology, as adjacent said, it's not your fault.. If I had to write a story a day and loose it would be worth it to stay in the group.. I've had loads of fun here and made some great friends.. I salute you sir, great job, to you and everyone involved in making this group what it is...

Is it okay to put in more than one entry? I was inspired.. :)

Great turn out, great posts.. I'm glad I'm not a judge...

Sorry for putting one in twice, I wanted to edit it but that

function was not available and I know how strict the judges

are... You can delete the other one, please.. <_<

I thought the judges would be annouced on the 17th...have they been annouced or did i miss something?

That kinda fell by the wayside. :-\

I know Idril and Rocar are judging. I'll announce the third judge in a day or two.

Well done everyone who posted a SIMM, this is the best turn out I

have ever seen for a writing challange, you should all feel proud..

Good luck...

you see? when there was only me and two others? I was quite happy with 3rd place but now its all gone a bit Pete Tong! Before I only had Nathan and Daydan to compete with.

Now there's Ethan (who- let's face it ought to be feeling smug right about now) and Deran and Reed and bah- just going through the list is making me depressed, such a lovely turn out (Note to self, next time you enter make sure there's no one else to compete with :D).

With that said good luck one and all.

you see? when there was only me and two others? I was quite happy with 3rd place but now its all gone a bit Pete Tong! Before I only had Nathan and Daydan to compete with.

Now there's Ethan (who- let's face it ought to be feeling smug right about now) and Deran and Reed and bah- just going through the list is making me depressed, such a lovely turn out (Note to self, next time you enter make sure there's no one else to compete with :D).

With that said good luck one and all.

I'm not sure how to take this..

<_<

Well.

Take it well...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.