• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

ST: Enterprise Cancelled

Idril Mar

Posted from:

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/article/9469.html

Star Trek: Enterprise Cancelled!

After four seasons, Star Trek: Enterprise has reached the end of its mission ...

PRESS RELEASE

UPN and Paramount Network Television have jointly announced that this will be the final season of Star Trek: Enterprise on UPN. [Production will continue until the end of this season, which will finish shooting in March.] The series finale will air on Friday, May 13, 2005.

"Star Trek has been an important part of UPN's history, and Enterprise has carried on the tradition of its predecessors with great distinction," said Dawn Ostroff, President, Entertainment, UPN. "We'd like to thank Rick Berman, Brannon Braga and an incredibly talented cast for creating an engaging, new dimension to the Star Trek universe on UPN, and we look forward to working with them, and our partners at Paramount Network Television, on a send-off that salutes its contributions to The Network and satisfies its loyal viewers."

David Stapf, President of Paramount Network Television, said, "The creators, stars and crew of Star Trek: Enterprise ambitiously and proudly upheld the fine traditions of the Star Trek franchise. We are grateful for their contributions to the legacy of Trek and commend them on completing nearly 100 exciting, dramatic and visually stunning episodes. All of us at Paramount warmly bid goodbye to Enterprise, and we all look forward to a new chapter of this enduring franchise in the future."

A prequel to the original "Star Trek" series, STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE premiered on UPN on Sept. 26, 2001, and aired for its first three seasons on Wednesdays (8:00-9:00PM, ET/PT). On Oct. 8, 2004, STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE moved into its current time on Fridays (8:00-9:00PM, ET/PT). Through its four-year run, STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE produced a total of 98 episodes and earned four Emmy Awards.

I know of a couple sites that are trying to save it.

http://www.enterprisefans.com/

http://www.saveenterprise.com/

They're trying to raise funding for run ads, convince CBS to take up the show for its 5th season.

I don't have a paypal account, but my Dad does. I'll see if we can chip in. Both of us like the show. I think they made a lot of improvements with the 4th season.

In other words, Enterprise being cancelled sucks.

I can't believe it's been cancelled, I was just getting into it. I was starting to think that it was a great show. :(

I never got into it even though i am a big Scott Bakula fan...i think it was the idea it was 100 years before original that's what some ppl off... what do u think?

The only thing that bothered me was that it seemed much more high tech than the original series, but sometimes you just have to realize the advancements in our own technology and use your imagination so as not to be bothered. I would have liked if they had not used technology (such as PADDs) that showed up on the later shows but were not a part of TOS. Still, I loved the show, and I'll miss it. I think it is a bunch of bologna.

Well, just remember what being cancelled did for TOS. I know that seems silly to say so, but being cancelled is the best thing that ever happened to Star Trek. The mania surrounding it has died way, way down. This means we get to take a break, regroup, and come back in fighting shape.

The only thing that bothered me was that it seemed much more high tech than the original series, but sometimes you just have to realize the advancements in our own technology and use your imagination so as not to be bothered.  I would have liked if they had not used technology (such as PADDs) that showed up on the later shows but were not a part of TOS.  Still, I loved the show, and I'll miss it.  I think it is a bunch of bologna.

If I remember, they did have PADDs on TOS. They just were bigger and didn't call them PADDs in the shows.

I'm upset that Enterprise is cancelled, but they'll catch a huge amount of flak over ending it right before the Romulan War. That's what really kinda cheeses me off.

People have to remember that even though it may seem that the technology used in Enterprise is much more advanced then in the Original, you also have to think that today the producers have a more advanced special effects technology to work with while back in the days of TOS they did not have all the special effects that we have today. So yeah, they are going to use it because we have been used it through out the movies, Voyager series, and Deep Space Nine.

Here's another way to look at the whole technology thing.

Yeah, some of it looks more advanced then in TOS. That really can't be avoided. Some of the technology we have today looks more advanced then what they had on TOS. So, the producers had to make things look more advanced then today, while still giving a lead up to TOS. Hard to do, but I'm not complaining about what they did in the series.

Heck, I've got an NPC in the works who carries a phase pistol, and his freighter is armed with four phase cannons (allbeit modified a bit).

I did mention the technology bit, and that is why I said we have to use our imaginations. I suppose they did use PADDs in TOS, if that is what those big, clunky black things were. I was only seven when I was watching the show, so I don't remember much, but basically it irks me that the Enterprise creators went so far off the mark. Their PADDs look much more like those used in the later series. It's like TOS never existed.

Which is, I'm sure, what Rick Berman is aiming for. Once Gene Roddenberry died, he really took over and started to paint the Star Trek universe in his own colors.

The only problem with making things look less advanced then TOS (including PADDs) is making it believable as a future for us today. Right now we've got PDAs better then TOS PADDs (if my memory of what they looked like is accurate).

Besides.... I think the Enterprise PADDs are cool...

And kinda like with the whole writing thing, they couldn't really see 30 years into the future, know what technology level they'd have to show now and plan accordingly in TOS. Cut 'em some slack, ok? :)

Being in the UK, Season 4 hasn't started airing over here yet. However, my view of Seasons 1-3 is that they undermined everying that had been established by the other 4 series before it, such as First contact with the Klingons (Chronology gives it as 2210?), Suliban and Xindi (If they are that important, howcome we never see them in any of the other series?), the ship itself (uh, Akira?), to name but a few...

Unless season 4 is a drastic improvement, I think I'll be glad to see the back of Enterprise.

I find the argument that "We don't see them in later series..." weak and, frankly, a cop-out. Come on... what would a sereis be like if all you could see were planets and species that you already knew about? You have to give them a little leeway to make up new stuff or they are stuck in a rut.

I don't want to see Enterprise go because, just like the 60s, it may take 30-odd years and a number of big-grossing films before they decide there's enough of a market to bring it back again in any form.

I'm not incredible sad to see the show go, but this season so far has been a vast improvement on the previous seasons.

I think they will bring it back in a couple years set after TNG and pickup where they left. I will be a little upset if they disregard the so called 8th season of DSP (a fabulous set of books, pick then up if you haven't).

But back to enterprise, I would have love to see more politiking in regards to the formation Federation (West Wing in space?)

I for one will be okay with this brake as long as they keep the four hour block in Spike TV going.

I find the argument that "We don't see them in later series..." weak and, frankly, a cop-out. Come on... what would a sereis be like if all you could see were planets and species that you already knew about? You have to give them a little leeway to make up new stuff or they are stuck in a rut.

Yes, but what about all 150 members of the yet to be founded Federation. I can't believe that Earth, Andor, Denobula and Vulcan are the only founding members

I think you'misinformed there...

The Founding Members are Earth, Vulcan, Andor, and Tellar Prime, though some sources also cite a fifth as Alpha Centauri. This is canon, not speculative. Denobula eventually became part of the Federation, as did the Lunar Colonies, Mars, and the other myriad members we know from TOS-VOY. The anti-Romulan Alliance that we see at the end of "Babel-One" and into "United" is the core of the Federation.

Sorry to stray from the topic, but wrong statements need to be corrected.

Today I recieved an e-mail from UPN as a response to my, and many other people's mail, concerning Enterprise. I have posted a copy below for your information.

-----------------------------------

Hello,

Thank you for writing to UPN. The STAR TREK legacy has spanned nearly four decades and has spawned five television series. Ten years ago, STAR TREK: VOYAGER was instrumental in helping launch UPN.

The latest incarnation, STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE, has reached the culmination of its journey. This painstaking decision came after it was recognized that despite having many loyal fans like you, the audience for the show was declining steadily. Therefore, ENTERPRISE is set to decommission and will be given a grand send-off on Friday, May 13th at 8 PM ET/PT on UPN.

This does not mean that STAR TREK is gone forever. Paramount, the studio that produced all five television series and ten feature films, is looking forward to the next chapter of the STAR TREK saga.

We know that this information may not make you feel any better but we want you to know how much we appreciate your input and we sincerely hope that you will continue to share your thoughts with us in the future.

Cordially,

UPN

Viewer Services

------------------------------------------------

For a standard e-mail from a large coorperation, I must say they know how to answer lol

Not what I wanted to hear though. But I won't give up yet. :w00t:

I think you'misinformed there...

The Founding Members are Earth, Vulcan, Andor, and Tellar Prime, though some sources also cite a fifth as Alpha Centauri. This is canon, not speculative. Denobula eventually became part of the Federation, as did the Lunar Colonies, Mars, and the other myriad members we know from TOS-VOY. The anti-Romulan Alliance that we see at the end of "Babel-One" and into "United" is the core of the Federation.

Sorry to stray from the topic, but wrong statements need to be corrected.

I was mentioning the species who could be Federation members who actually get seen semi-regularly..

Name me 2 episodes before Season 4 with Tellerites in them? Then compare to the amount of appearences the Suliban and Xindi get despite not being important enough to even be mentioned in future series.

And what about members who join soon after the founding?

I should point out, I have already said I haven't seen Season 4 yet (including the episodes mentioned above) due to the fact they haven't started airing here in the UK yet. I don't read the spoilers either, so references to an Anti-Romulan Alliance mean little to me.

I don't think they will make a 5th season of the enterprise, yes it has some potential but come on do you really think they whould keep on going with the enterprise, althought a regurly show has 6 seasons, but do they have enough money for a 5th season?

TNG/DS9/VOY all had 7 seasons.

ENT, apparently, will have 4.

TOS I can never remember. I think it was around 4, though.

"The Original Series (often abbreviated TOS) ran on NBC from 1966 through 1969, for a total of three seasons and 78 episodes (counting the two-part "The Menagerie" only once, and not counting the first commissioned pilot, "The Cage," which did not air during this time)."

- source: Startrek.com - http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/feat...ticle/7693.html