• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

The Elinor of Kanist Order of Excellence winner: Vice Admiral Quinn Reynolds

StarBase 118 Staff

Join us for a special interview in our series of interviews with winners of awards from our recent 2020 Awards Ceremony. The Elinor of Kanist Order of Excellence is a new award for 2020 that recognizes those who have served the fleet as a staff member for at least 5 years, attained the rank of Rear Admiral or higher, previously been awarded the Picard Award and Staff Member of the Year Award, and continue to serve the fleet to the betterment of all members. This is the highest staff honor, celebrating longevity, dedication to the fleet, and the perseverance for wearing the Admiral’s belt.

Last month we looked at the namesake of this award, Elinor of Kanist and her legacy for the StarBase 118 Community.  This month we’re interviewing the writer behind Vice Admiral Quinn Reynolds, the first player to earn this prestigious award.

Taybrim: Tell us a little about the writer behind the character — where in the world do you hail from?

Reynolds: I’m from no particular place in the United Kingdom—I was born in Scotland, but I moved around a lot in my youth. I’m currently living in Yorkshire, England with my partner and our son.

One of Admiral Elinor of Kanist’s legacies was founding the Training Team, and you are our current Academy Commandant.  Tell us more about your involvement with this important taskforce.

Like many, I started as a training officer back when I was a Lieutenant and I very much enjoyed that time. I took a break from the Academy for a while to concentrate on my captaincy and then returned as a Cadet Steward, moving into the Deputy Commandant role and finally Commandant. As Commandant I have a wide variety of responsibilities: reviewing applications, overseeing individual classes, answering questions and offering guidance to our training officers, acting as a Fleet Placement Officer, overseeing the ongoing development of our processes and more.

What do you feel is the most fulfilling part about leading the Training Team?

The success of our trainers! We see it in a variety of ways, from people completing their requirements and moving up through the ranks, to the chatter of members who fondly remember coming through the Academy and the people who helped them find their place in the fleet. I am very proud to be a part of a team which works so hard and has such a profound impact on the fleet.

You are also recognized as a fleetwide mentor.  What are some of your proudest moments in mentoring fellow players?

I think it’s the times where you help a player achieve their goals. Whether they’re trying to improve their skills, want to write a mission, or explore a specific storyline with their character, it’s really satisfying to guide and support them and see how proud they are when they make their aspirations a reality.

If you had to give one piece of advice to an up-and-coming player, what would that be?

Take feedback in the spirit it’s intended. Even the best of us can struggle with this, but we always give it with the best of intentions; to make the sim fun for everyone, and to help each player achieve their goals. Listen earnestly, keep an open mind and put the feedback into practice—you’ll reap the rewards.

Over all the years you have been a staff and player, what is one of your most fun memories about StarBase 118?

There’s been so many, it’s why I’m still here! One of my favourites comes from all the way back in 2007, when I had just joined the group. I was an ensign and a little lost because LOAs had conspired to leave me as the only Player Character on the ship—so the captain stepped in with a PNPC and wrote the rest of the mission with me. He led with a fantastic example of simming, I got some great feedback, and I had so much fun along the way. It was a really wonderful experience, and the events of that mission still affect and influence Quinn to this day, 14 years later.

Thanks for your time, Vice Admiral Reynolds!

You can read more about Vice Admiral Reynolds on the wiki.

The post The Elinor of Kanist Order of Excellence winner: Vice Admiral Quinn Reynolds appeared first on StarBase 118 Star Trek RPG.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/ufopsb118/~4/kiev5p0Xi6w

View the full article

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1