• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Lower Decks Interview: Meidra Sirin, USS Resolution 

StarBase 118 Staff

We’re here with another interview with a newer member of our community. The title of this column is “Lower Decks,” hearkening back to the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode titled “Lower Decks,” in which junior officers aboard the Enterprise-D speculate on the reasons for recent unusual actions taken by the command crew near the Cardassian border.

This month’s interview is with the writer behind Ensign Meidra Sirin playing a Vulcan/El-Aurian hybrid  female Counselor assigned to the USS Resolution. 

GALVEN: Thank you for allowing me to interview you! Could you tell us a little about yourself for our readers out there?

SIRIN: I grew up in a household where my dad was 100 percent Italian and mom was not. I saw how two different cultures coexisted without one overshadowing the other, and I think that is why I chose a hybrid for my character here. I love psychology and history, and it’s been fun creating someone with some of my traits, yet really different in other ways (I don’t get into drunken brawls with Klingons)

What has been your favorite moment writing with UFOP:StarBase 118?

Being allowed to help create a new species for our game. I worked with another writer, who is an amazing talent. We took a germ of an idea, and built on it to form an entire new world that hopefully will be put into play again someday,  It was sad for me to say goodbye to them, and hopefully others enjoyed the Da’al too.

Do you take any inspiration from movies/TV/books when writing for your character? 

I’ve seen pretty much every incarnation of Trek made, even if it was only a few episodes here and there. I think of how I’d act as a real counselor, and then try to incorporate it into my sims. I’m an avid reader, and love Douglas Adams, so also try to put a bit of the absurd into my writing. Depending on who you ask, I’ve succeeded.

What are your thoughts on what you’ve learned in the Academy as you look back compared to now?

I was terrified that I wasn’t a good writer when I was going through the Academy, until I realized that to really succeed here, you need to let go of your preconceived ideas on what makes a good writer. We are all constantly learning. My mentor has been such a great help to me, and I’ve grown more confident in my contributions.

What is your process for ideas regarding character development?

For Meidra, I thought about why a fifty year old Vulcan hybrid would be in StarFleet. It’s a bit older than the usual cadet, and I slowly built a backstory for her that explained it. I gave her enough flaws that she has a long way to go to become the person I believe she’s meant to be. So far, it’s been a long road, but she’ll get there.

And lastly, what kind of advice would you give those who would like to sim in your specific duty post?

Have fun with it, but research a bit about the role you are taking on, you can learn so much that will help you create a strong, vital member of your crew. Ask questions, everyone here is very helpful and if you’re asking a question, the odds are, someone else has wondered about it. 

Thanks for your time, Ensign Meidra Sirin!

You can read more about Ensign Meidra Sirin on the wiki

The post Lower Decks Interview: Meidra Sirin, USS Resolution  appeared first on StarBase 118 Star Trek RPG.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/ufopsb118/~4/tKRHvw-beCI

View the full article

• Like 2