• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Poll of the Week: Nothing Says Sharp Like a Dress Code

Jo Marshall

Poll of the Week: Nothing Says Sharp Like a Dress Code  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which Starfleet uniform era was your favourite and why?

• ENT - 22nd Century Purple Jumpsuits
    • TOS - 23rd Century Duty Uniforms
    • TNG - 24th Century Jumpsuits (with the skants)
    • VOY - Coloured Shoulder Jumpsuits
    • DS9 - "Our Shoulder Pads must rival Cardassians!" Jumpsuit
    • JJU - Kelvin Shirt, Pants (and skants)
    • PIC - New and Slick, Looking Good
    • DIS - "Costume Designer Nightmare" Mini Deltas

Like all military organisations, wearing a uniform shows who you represent, develops a sense of commonality, solidarity and equality. It makes the person wearing it instantly recognisable, stand out in a crowd, distinguish themselves for the service they provide, and has an impact on others, especially those within the Star Trek universe. The same uniform is worn by everyone from the Captain down to the Crewman, the only differences being the pips on the collar and the colour to denote the department.

There are some cultural influences on Starfleet uniforms we've seen over the years, including the addition of Worf's baldric, Nog's headdress, and Kira's Bajoran earrings. Either symbolic of their family or their religion, and culturally appropriate for them. We'll not talk about Troi and her casual attire...

Colours and uniforms have changed through the run of Star Trek, showing the changes in style and function throughout the years, and how Starfleet adjusted for them. While we were used to seeing the department colour taking up the dominant part of the uniform, during the Dominion War, this left Command Officers at risk, so it was reduced to just the collar, the rest of the uniform black and grey. 

Each of the series of Star Trek has introduced the viewer to a new uniform, in one way or another. Looking back through the racks and wardrobes of the costume department, some are favourites, and some can be confined to the charity bin of history.

This week, we want to know...

Which Starfleet uniform era was your favourite and why?

Edited by Jo Marshall

I must be a heathen here and vote for the JJ ones due they are actually a nice redesign of the old ones... and kinda looks comfy to throw yourself into an alien planet into them XD

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Genkos Adea said:

Honorable mention to the WoK red jackets as well!

These are my favourite uniforms! In my opinion, the best uniforms definitely came out of the movies--both the red jackets from Wrath of Khan and the grey-yoked shoulders from First Contact. ❤️

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Quinn Reynolds said:

These are my favourite uniforms! In my opinion, the best uniforms definitely came out of the movies--both the red jackets from Wrath of Khan and the grey-yoked shoulders from First Contact. ❤️

Oh heck yeah both those uniforms are divine

• Like 1

In an alternate world Oddas has mandated her crew into the Wrath of Khan uniforms, those are just the best.  The Second choice is the DS9 Uniform, mostly because I like DS9.

• Like 3

TOS Movie Era are some of the best if you look at military style uniforms. If you see the cosplay LD's, those are pretty slick too. All very nautical. It's hard to say what my favorite is. Ideally, I think there'd be a combination. Officers who may be involved in communication and diplomacy, I'd prefer something professional looking, like a real version of the LD uniform. For Engineers who have to crawl around in Jefferies Tubes, coveralls with grey shoulders, shows less dirt. I do really like the All Good Things uniform as well. To me that one just looks really professional. The Picard uniforms are nice...except the Ops one! Why does Science/Medical get a nice deep blue and Command gets a deep maroon while Ops gets a bright yellow!

• Like 1

It's really hard to pick just one 😄 Weirdly, I've always liked the idea of Officers and Enlisted having a different uniform, because of the difference in duties. If you're in an office all day, no need to wear a jumpsuit to crawl around in the tubes in. 

Think I'd have to go with the new Picard ones. As much as I love classic Trek uniforms, they say future to me.  

• Like 1