• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Poll of the Week: Least Interesting Villain Award

Jo Marshall

Poll of the Week: Least Interesting Villain Award  

18 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, who is the least interesting villain in Star Trek?

• The Son'a (Insurrection) — Facelift Monsters.
    • The Kazon (VOY) — Have warp starships, can't make water. Just...
    • The New Essentialists (DS9) — Space Librarians. Decent Bolian, though.
    • The Catullan (TOS) — Space HIppies, killed by Space Hippy Grass. I am not even joking.
    • Lore (TNG) — Hear me out, now. Does anyone actually know what he was trying to do in "Descent"?
    • The Tak Tak (VOY) — Space Interpretive Dancers.
    • Shinzon (Nemesis) — *sigh*
    • “God” (TOS) — What does God need a starship for?
    • Soran (Generations) — The definition of if you're a bad guy and trying to kill someone, just do it. Don't give the speech first.
    • Other! Did I miss your favourite? Let me know!

Star Trek has a long and torrid love affair with bringing wonderful characters and protagonists to life, presenting a fantastic array of challenging situations, pitting themselves against insurmountable odds and, sometimes, some really cracking villains.

Who can forget the golden moments of Gul Dukat in Deep Space Nine as he evolves into a character some of us actually care about? Or the ripping emotional tension we get from Khan Noonian-Singh? We cheered the intelligence and the guile of the Klingon General Chang, sporting his eye-patch of doom (bolted to the face for full metal), and some of the worst enemies the Federation has ever seen came as the Jem'Hadar, the brutal troper force for the Dominion ready to commit unspeakable acts for the glory of the soldiering life. 

However, let's face it — some Star Trek villains are just... bad. 

While we had Khan, we also had the Son'a — who, if remembered for anything, it's the facelift. In the late nineties, it seemed everyone wanted to get young again and have their skin pulled back until a display of any emotion would literally crack the face open in ways a dubious plastic surgeon would be proud of. The Son'a were riddled with toxins they had to expunge, and instead of throwing themselves into a New Year Resolution of kale smoothies and yoga on Thursdays, they did... this. And then killed an Admiral no one cares about with a facelift. Take that, beauty standards!

But for a series spanning six decades now, not every villain is going to be perfect, and for some, they are a product of their time. 

So, this week, we want to know...

In your opinion, who is the least interesting villain in Star Trek? 

• Like 2

While the Catullans were laughably bad, they were neither evil nor boring.  It's a goofy space romp with a silly moral.

But Shinzon... oh.  he's terrible.  Just horrible.  One big pure pile of gold-pressed latinum gilded targ droppings.  He's gotta win this golden razzy.

• Haha 3

On one hand I am very glad to see that I am not alone in thinking the Kazon kinda stink.

On the other I am CRUSHED I am not seeing any love for Tom Hardy in the most insane Prismatic armor shader I have ever seen. Dude looks like an Eldar 40k mini. IT RULES.

• Haha 2

Well, I didn't vote for the Kazon, but good point about them not being able to make water even though they have starships. I mean, huh?

• Haha 2

First, love this poll idea. +1 to you, @Jo Marshall!

Second, it's gotta be the Kazon. I mean, when even the Borg reject a species as not worth assimilating because they detract from perfection, YIKES.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Tony, aka Kells said:

I mean, when even the Borg reject a species as not worth assimilating because they detract from perfection, YIKES.

Yes!

• Haha 1

Yeah 👀 pretty telling if you're that terrible at being a species.

The New Essentialists were the least interesting for me. If they'd come knocking a few years earlier, mayyybe there'd be some mileage in what they were trying to do. But turning up to Risa, of all places, expecting them to be ready for an attack that just wasn't going to happen just... yeah.