• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Poll of the Week: Best Female Character of TNG

Jo Marshall

Poll of the Week: Best Female Character of TNG  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favourite female Star Trek: The Next Generation character and why? 

• Doctor Beverly Crusher
    • Counsellor Deanna Troi
    • Guinan
    • Tasha Yar
    • K'Ehleyr
    • Ro Laren
    • Rachel Garrett
    • Who did I miss? Let me know below!

Following on from last week's poll for Best Male Character of TNG , this week we want to explore what made the women of TNG special and which of these wonderful women captured your attention week on week. 

Were you a devoted fan of Beverly Crusher? Most often the soothing voice in troubled waters, our forthright Doctor Crusher could whittle the woes in the medical world with nary a scalpel spent in the process. In the series, she slipped into the role of the ship's Chief Medical Officer with ease, providing the contrary opinions to Picard, and the sole parent of Wesley. Arguably included to have some of the most unresolved sexual tension on screen to date, Beverly remains a firm favourite among Star Trek fans the world over. 

Or maybe you were a Troi fan?  Our non Starfleet uniform wearing half Betazoid Counsellor has inspired Counsellor characters in our Star Trek setting and continues to do so. From her affable attitude and easy way with patients, to her motherly attention to Alexander, her relationships with Worf and Riker, and the unforgettable holodeck simulations of the "Wild West" (she rocks the Stetson, 😉), perchance for poker nights and a love of all things chocolate, Deanna lives up there with the greats. 

We'd be remiss if we didn't include the wonder that is Guinan in this list, and for good reason. Far more than just the bartender (or bar keeper?) on the Enterprise, she was the sage advisor to all who came seeking wisdom for their problems, and those who didn't realise they had any until they walked through the doors of Ten Forward.  She could frighten a Q at twenty paces, or melt Worf on the phaser range, and did all of it with a calm smile, a cheeky grin, and a trusted demeanour. 

And then there's the wrong side of the tracks. Who liked Ro Laren? A Bajoran Starfleet officer raised in a refugee camp during the Cardassian occupation, Ro had a tough childhood growing up, watching the atrocities of the regime first hand. Initially assigned to the Enterprise as part of a conspiracy (I won't spoil it, the storyline is really good), she left in the end to join the Maquis.  With extremely strong characterisation and acting, the character became a firm favourite overnight. The "rebel with a cause" captured the hearts of everyone and devastated more when she didn't come back. However, she paved the way for the wonder of Kira Nerys, which, fear not, we'll explore in another poll! 

So, this week, we want to know - Who is your favourite female Star Trek: The Next Generation character and why? 

Drop a line in the comments to show off which of these wonderful women inspired you on your Trek journey!

P.S. Don't worry, @Theo Whittaker, we will be doing a Voyager one, too! 

• Haha 1

Why are you asking such tough questions! 😱 This requires thorough reflection.

• Like 2

Such a hard choice, to be honest. And what about the Dax's (Jadzia and Ezri)? I cast my vote, but honestly it was a tie.

• Like 1

I think Pulaski could have been a great character with more seasons of character development 

• Like 1

On 10/23/2020 at 7:52 PM, Serala said:

Such a hard choice, to be honest. And what about the Dax's (Jadzia and Ezri)? I cast my vote, but honestly it was a tie.

We'll do DS9 too!

I think Ro's character was a popular choice because of her characterization. She was different from the other crew members. Less polished. Shady background. Not perfect. There was conflict with other members of the crew and she seemed to have a chip on her shoulder. She was someone more imperfect that we could relate to rather than someone on a moral pedestal we could strive to like the rest of the cast. Conflict helps to make good stories and so while she wasn't on the show as long as some of the other characters, her appeal grew quicker. I found her to be someone that I did not initially like but grew to love. And maybe its the nature of that changing viewpoint that speaks to her popularity. Our relationship with her is different that someone like Wesley - started out as an overachiever, let a few million nanites out on the ship, ended as an overachiever.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Jo Marshall said:

We'll do DS9 too!

Right, 'cause this poll was for TNG and I just can't read! 😂

14 hours ago, Jo Marshall said:

Ro is blowing it out of the water here 👀 What made her so popular?

For me, it was the 'tude. She wasn't just the stereotypical Starfleet officer. If she thought there was a better way to do it, she'd let you know, regs be damned. Also, the come from behind story. When she was first introduced, she had been in the stockade for something that I was never quite sure about. Everyone disliked her. But she proved herself and even earned the respect of both Picard and Riker. And Guinan, and you know if Guinan likes you, you gotta be okay. 😀

Edited by Serala
  • Like 3