• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Poll of Week: Inspirational Trek to the Stars

Jo Marshall

Poll of Week: Inspirational Trek to the Stars  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favourite inspirational quote from these Star Trek legends?

• Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.
    • You know the greatest danger facing us is ourselves, an irrational fear of the unknown. But there's no such thing as the unknown, only things temporarily hidden, temporarily not understood. - Kirk
    • Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. But I'd rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment, because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived. - Picard
    • To all mankind -- may we never find space so vast, planets so cold, heart and mind so empty that we cannot fill them with love and warmth. - Garth
    • Human beings do not survive on bread alone ... but on the nourishments of liberty. For what indeed is a man without freedom ... naught but a mechanism, trapped in the cogwheels of eternity. - Harry Mudd
    • Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end. - Spock
    • I don't care if the odds are against us! If we're going to lose, then we're going to go down fighting... so that when our descendants someday rise up against the Dominion, they'll know know what they're made of! - Sisko
    • You can use logic to justify almost anything. That's it's power... and it's flaw. - Janeway
    • Up until about a hundred years ago, there was one question that burned in every human, that made us study the stars and dream of travelling to them, 'Are we alone?' Our generation is privileged to know the answer to that question. We are all explorers, driven to know what's over the horizon, what's beyond our own shores. And yet, the more I've experienced, the more I've learned that no matter how far we travel, or how fast we get there, the most profound discoveries are not necessarily beyond that next star. They're within us, woven into the threads that bind us, all of us, to each other. A final frontier begins in this hall. Let's explore it together. - Archer
    • Other! Did I miss your favourite? Let me know!

Gene Roddenberry cut to the bone for science fiction fans across the world when he created a small starship show about a "Wagon Train to the stars" and, arguably, helped to usher in a new attitude for the modern times. Inspiration took hold in many hearts when they heard those opening lines of the first Star Trek episode, explaining to viewers his vision for the future we could have, stretching ever forward, and Trek has continued to deliver hard-hitting moments of wisdom and wonder to motivate and inspire ever since. 

Star Trek has inspired multiple generations; from the cast and crew attending the rollout of the Space Shuttle Enterprise with NASA, Nichelle Nichols inspiring recruitment for the space program encouraging a new wave of talent into the industry and a young Whoopi Goldberg to act, DeForest Kelley inspiring young people to start medical school, and countless astronauts who cite Trek as their motivation to reach for the stars — including Terry Virts, who had the auspicious honour of delivering the Vulcan salute to Earth from the International Space Station on the day of Leonard Nimoy's death. 

There are plenty of inspirational quotes throughout The Original Series to list here. Under the direction of Roddenberry, every episode delivered a moral tale to the viewer, to show how humanity has infinite potential to move past contemporary cultural realities of human rights, commerce, religion, sexism, war, and instead strive for peace, equality, abundance, and pursuing technological and scientific advancement. This has spread across the vast catalogue of Star Trek, giving us a space adventure that explores strange new worlds and new civilisations, boldly going where no one has gone before. 

What's your favourite inspirational quote from these Star Trek legends?

graffiti-spock-leonard-nimoy-wallpaper-p

Edited by Jo Marshall
typo
  • Like 1

I personally picked this one, because it's just... true.

You can use logic to justify almost anything. That's it's power... and it's flaw.

How I see it, logic is in the eye of the beholder. Two people can have conflicting views on a certain matter - but they're both logically sound from their own perspective.

Logic is all relative - even the most seemingly illogical acts must have some sort of logic, that may appear to be extremely convoluted and confusing to us, but make perfect sense to the ones making those acts. And that is justification enough, at least in my opinion.

• Like 2