• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Poll of the Week: Space Corvette

Jo Marshall

Poll of the Week: Space Corvette  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these favourite Starfleet-designed shuttlecraft is your favourite?

• TOS: Type-F Galileo Shuttlecraft
    • VOY: Delta Flyer
    • INS: Type-11 Shuttlecraft
    • VOY: Type-9 Shuttlecraft
    • TNG: Type-6 Shuttlecraft
    • DS9: Runabout
    • None of the above! Tell me more below!

When we talk about shuttlecraft, we mean the fictional vehicles used within our science fiction universe. They are vehicles built for quick trips in space, for small crews and cargo, and for transporting between the large orbiting interstellar starship and the planet surface down below. Because of the ever-growing nature of starships and how they operate in space, landing these huge space vehicles became more of a hazard and a hindrance to the plot; instead, the ships stay moored in space like sea-fairing vessels of old would remain out of the shallow waters while "launchers" in the form of shuttlecraft are used to ferry the Away Teams down through the atmosphere. Used alongside the transporter technology, a starship crew has multiple options to land on the surface of a planet or slip through space. Relied on for so much, yet the humble shuttlecraft has limited capabilities, making them perfect for the short-range transport and runabouts for longer-range travel where taking the starship wouldn't be possible. 

On many ships around the ‘fleet, shuttlecraft have become personal projects, with some characters developing their own shuttlecraft through the sim over time, whereas other characters detest using them for one fear or another brought on by experience. Fans of Star Trek have recreated shuttlecraft on top of their minivans, showing the love there is out there in the real world for these people carrier equivalents flinging us through space. The design and style of shuttlecraft varies across the Trek but that’s for another poll; for this one, we want to put your helm officers’ love to the test.

This week, we want to know which of these favourite Starfleet-designed shuttlecraft is your favourite?

• Like 4

I've always wanted more information on the Nova's waverider. It's an atmospheric shuttlecraft. I would imagine on a science vessel it has to be pretty neato. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dr Moon said:

I've always wanted more information on the Nova's waverider. It's an atmospheric shuttlecraft. I would imagine on a science vessel it has to be pretty neato. 

Ooooo you've got one there! Almost like a Nova-class equiv of a Captain's yacht. 

Always liked the Danube class runabout. They didn't have the sleekest hull but they looked...tough...like they really could operate alone and hold their own against a larger vessel. I'd like to give special mention to the Bajoran Interceptor too - always liked that ship.

Runabout's all day every day!

It's so much more than a shuttle with the whole modular thing going on, which also makes them great to use in the game too.