• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Award Nominations process suggestions from 2019

After you submit award nominations, you're brought to a form where you can suggest changes to our Awards Ceremony nominations process. On the whole, everyone expresses great satisfaction but how things work! But as with last year, we have some suggestions that came through that I'd like to address: 

The checkmark for the award type doesn't show up when clicked. The text becomes bold, indicating its selection, but no check.

This is an issue with our forms plugin conflicting with our website theme. It's been difficult to fix, but hopefully folks can navigate the form well enough seeing the bold indicator with the selection.

If you're an expert in CSS / WordPress plugins and themes – and want to help with this – email me at t.wolf@starbase118.net and I'll send you the information I got back from our form plugin support about it and see if you can help us resolve it! 

There's no check to see if the submitted email address is correct. Unless the check is made when the form is submitted.

I figured it would slow down submission of the form and frustrate people if they had to check the email address twice. We have everyone's email address on record and can pretty easily track back to what we have on file for you if necessary – but you wouldn't get your nomination "receipt" via email, for sure. 

Leave nominations open year-round.

We've gotten this a couple years in a row and I've just asked the Captains Council to consider this suggestion specifically. Hopefully we'll have a decision by the end of the ceremony this year. 

• A short description of what each award means?
  • An ability to see all the awards and descriptions with a dropdown would be helpful.
  • Have a description of all the awards on this page! I don't know them all by heart, and have to jump back and forth between 6 different tabs to choose the best one.

I must admit I'm always a little perplexed by this one. The nomination panel page is already quite large, so I'm trying to minimize the size of it?

We have links to the list of all awards and their descriptions under the dropdown boxes where you select which award your nominating someone for. And the idea here is you'd open the Hall of Honor – which is linked from the nominations panel – and decide which awards you want to nominate for, and then go back to the form to do the nomination. From what I gather folks are doing that in reverse, like going to the form and looking at the names of the awards and deciding who to nominate for them? 

Do we really need to have a list of all the award descriptions on this page as opposed to just having links to the Hall of Honor on the wiki? Open to feedback – please respond below! 

Consider allowing anonymous submissions. It is tiresome having to add your own details every time when submitting multiple nominations, if the form could remember what you filled in those sections previously, it would make it easier and quicker too.

We're not going to allow anonymous submissions. The only way to make this a little bit faster is to have a profile on the site so it can recognize you when you load the form. As such, I've added a registration form where you can do that. Once you're registered and logged in, you should find your email address and character name filled in the form each time you arrive on it. 

Have an option to not submit supporting sims for staff awards.

Sim links are optional. It says that right on the form, and we hide the sim link box automatically for staff awards where a sim link wouldn't make sense. 

Allow multiple citations of various awards with a waiting period of 2 or 3 years before they can be eligible to receive it again.

The Captains Council is in discussion about this right now. We're hoping to have a solution before we launch nominations but if not we'll have something to say about it for next year!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! Please feel free to add more to the form this year so we can continue to improve the process!