• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

JP PNPC Ensign Tenai Pex and MSNPC Jemmar Darven: How About A New Identity

Sneaky spy stuff is always fun to write with @Serala

(( Government Sector, Keibrom, Tibro ))

Jemmar began to put the suit on as the Trill man turned around and seemed to keep watch. Once done - and he had to admit the guy had done a decent job at figuring his size - he tapped the man on the shoulder to indicate he could turn around. Then he spread his arms as if to say, “Well, whatcha think?” Instead, he was handed a small device, an emitter of some kind.

Pex: Activate this. It will change your appearance and voice making you seem slightly younger.

Darven: :: chuckling slightly :: Slightly younger for me is still old. Still, pretty nifty. And my, how Federation technology has improved since I left. Some sort of portable holoemitter, I would imagine, no?

Pex: Well, it is my job and apparently the obligation that I have to help you. I am not sure as to why, but an order is an order no matter who or where it comes from.

Darven: Well, I’m sure all this skulduggery is new for you. SFI doesn’t really engage in that much anymore, but back in my day, covert ops were pretty common.

The remark would have been true for most, but not Tenai. If the older man knew his true past then he would probably regard Tenai in a different light. That was not something Tenai needed nor did he want to explain his past to the man.  

Pex: Depending on the situation they are still used, but most commanding officers are not fond of them due to the somewhat shady results they can bring forth.

Darven: Hmm. Well I have been out of touch for a while, so I’m sure you would know better than me.

Jemmar clicked on the device and clipped it on his belt underneath the jacket of the suit. He couldn’t see his face, but he did notice that his hands had less wrinkles than before.

Darven: So, what’s our next step, Spots?

The nickname was curious and Tenai wasn’t sure how he felt about it, but he would leave the comment alone.

Pex: Well, do you think you can act like a Starfleet officer again?

Darven: Do I think…? :: chuckles :: Young man, I never really stopped being a Starfleet officer, even after my forced retirement. When you do it as long as I did, there’s some things you just don’t forget. They become habit. Yes, I think I can manage it.

Jemmar was curious, though, as to why the Trill man had brought a suit rather than a uniform, but figured he knew what he was doing, so he left the question unanswered for now.

Pex: Well, it’s good to know that you have a sure mind of yourself, but do not question any of what I do if you want to get through this alive even if you think it is a mistake. Do you understand?

Darven: I got you, son. Don’t worry. I reached out to you for help. It would be quite ungrateful of me to try and tell you how to render that aid.

He nodded. It was nice to know that the man would do what he asked especially considering his plan was a bit on the crazy side. He pulled out a comm badge and handed it to the man of whom he was starting to enjoy the company of. As his job left him secluded it was nice to have someone to talk too.

Pex: I’m sure you recognize this. Pin it to the suit and we shall begin the journey.

Darven: Aye, cap’n. :: grinning in good humor as he pinned the comm badge to his suit :: After you.  

As the Trill man began to lead the way, Jemmar fell inside next to him. Normally, when on a mission, Jemmar was quiet unless need required him to speak, but he had been away for so long he felt the need to get some news, starting with why their ship was here, in Valcarian space.

Darven: So, not that I’m complaining, mind you, but I was wonderin’ why you folks decided to pay a visit here.

Pex: Well, I really don’t know. The Captain didn’t seem to provide me that information. I am a lowly Ensign who hasn’t really been considered to be privy of the full reasoning. I know we came for a celebration, but I’m sure there is more to it than that. Have you heard any scuttlebutt of things going?

Darven: :: again that knowing chuckle :: Oh, down in the slums one hears all manner of scuttlebutt, Spots. Some of it’s true, some ain’t. Takes a keen ear to hear the difference. Like, for instance, did you know them Romulans is back?

Pex: :: A slight nod. :: I did see that as I was heading down to the surface of the planet. I am unsure as to their reasoning of being here, but from what I saw they had only a scout ship; however, I am uneasy that there could be a D’Deridex looming in the darkness. 

The thought of that made his stomach churn. He had fought those ships before and it was never a fun experience, but the Scimitar was worse. Dios he hoped they didn’t have one of those.

That news took Jemmar by surprise, to be certain, and he had no doubt it had shown on his face. He was skilled in maintaining his poise even under shocks like that, but he had let his guard down a bit with this Trill.

Darven: I didn’t know they had a ship here. I was referrin’ to the Tal Shiar. I seen one of them the other day having a secret, clandestine meeting with a hooded Valcarian. The Valc gave the Romy a data crystal. Don’t know what was on it, but the Romy seemed pleased to receive it.

The news was not what he was expecting. This could be an issue though he wasn’t sure as to the mission it seemed like that happened before the Romulans arrived in the atmosphere according to the man’s crude timeline.

Pex: Ok, well I am not sure about that, but I feel like that could be a true issue in the end. Let’s double-time it back to the shuttle. Are you up to quickening the pace?

Darven: Heh, I may be old, but I’m not dead. You have to stay in shape in these places if you want to stay alive. Let’s go. But, what about the quarantine checkpoints? How are we going to get around those?

Jemmar took off at a quickened pace. A jog would attract too much attention, but his current pace would get them there more quickly without attracting undue attention.

Pex: I meant no offense by asking if you were ok. As to the checkpoints no need to worry, as Starfleet I can get through, but getting back to the ship could be an issue due to the ridiculous transporter interference here. I have a shuttle, but I’m not sure if we can get off the planet with it.

Pex had looked at the wristpadd he had looking at the conditions of the planet and things seemed to be deteriorating quickly. The planet seemed to be completely locked down and Pex needed to get back to the Atlantis.

Jemmar glanced over at the younger man. He seemed worried. Jemmar wasn’t exactly sure why. Could be the quarantine in general, the heightened security making his task nearly impossible at the moment, or something else. Concern, maybe? Concern for his fellow crewmates? That seemed logical. Jemmar had a family once. If they had been here now, he would be worried sick about them. No doubt this man was facing similar concerns. He might even have a significant other here.

Darven: Then we might still need to find a place to lay low until things settle down. Heck, we might even be able to just wait inside that shuttle until the whole situation blows over. So, what else has you worried there, youngster? The quarantine itself?

Pex: Well, I know that multiple teams off the ship have been sent to different areas of the planet and they could be part of what made the quarantine happen. Well, let's head for the shuttle there is something waiting there for you anyways. We are almost there. Once there we can chat more. If that’s ok? 

Darven: Sounds good to me. But next time, you can just tell me to shut up. I don’t mind. :: he smiled to show he was just kidding with him ::

Tenai nodded and led the way down the many streets that could confuse anyone though thankfully due to Tenai’s former life he had a good memory. The streets were full and some blocked so no one could get past. All of them heading for the checkpoints that were causing a ridiculous inconvenience. Pex got them through with some smooth negotiating and talking before they were in the safety of the shuttle.

Jemmar was pleased to note the efficiency of the Ensign. He managed to smoothly talk them past the checkpoints and in short order they were at the Starfleet shuttle. He had never seen this model before, but that wasn’t so surprising considering how long he had been gone. He wondered if he would make it back to Earth and whether his family was still there or not.

(( Shuttle Elysium, Landing Pad 6, Keibrom, Tibro )) 

The inside of the shuttle seemed quite luxuriant to him. Hanging on the aft wall was a plaque dedicated to the memories of several people. He wondered what the story was there. Aside from the Trill and himself, the shuttle seemed empty, though it was capable of holding about a dozen people including the two crew positions and ten passenger seats.

Darven: :: letting out a low whistle of appreciation :: This is nice, Ensign. Can’t wait to see what else you guys have developed while I was gone.

Pex: Glad you like it. It should make hiding out a little easier; however, it won’t matter once you get on the ship. 

He pulled a PADD out of the storage area and passed it to the man. This was the culmination of his plan and it took many hours digging through databases and covering the tracks of what he did.

Darven: What’s this?

Jemmar took the PADD and read through it.  It was ambitious, but it just might work.

Pex: Well this is your new life. Welcome back to Starfleet and the Federation Lieutenant Eugine Hull. It has been a while from what I can see. I think it’s time you come back after years of spying. :: Tenai grinned. ::

Tenai handed the man a Federation uniform with the two pips to show the rank of the man. 

Jemmar was impressed, though the Ensign was slightly off. He hadn’t been spying, although he had picked up several good pieces of intel. No, hiding was the better word. But hiding was no good if one got dead anyway. If he had to be Lieutenant Eugine Hull, then that’s who he’d be. It wasn’t the first time he’d had to assume a new identity. Besides, officially, he was dead anyway.

Darven: :: smiling :: Thank you, Ensign. This means a lot. How you going to explain all this to your Captain?

The question was a good one, but the answer was not what the man would expect. According to the information on the PADD Pex had been ordered by Intelligence to come to pick up a member of Intelligence. It was scary, but his skill at his job should get him a promotion. Being a Commander at one point and going to Ensign was rough, but no one knew the truth on the ship.

Pex: Leave that to me. You don’t need to worry about it! The main thing is your safe now and that’s what matters to me.

Darven: I am glad to hear that. I am really looking forward to getting home. I wonder if my family will even be there, or if they’ve moved on? Wish I knew. I really regret that I had to leave them behind like I did.

Pex: Sometimes doing what’s best hurts the most. I could look into our database and see if your family is still around, but that is only if you want to give me your real name. If not that’s ok I understand. I should properly introduce myself though. I am Ensign Tenai Pex, Senior Intelligence Analyst aboard the USS Atlantis. 

Darven: Pleasure to meet you, Tenai. And since we are safely ensconced in a Starfleet shuttle, I guess it would be okay to introduce myself. :: sticking out his hand in greeting :: My real name is Commander James Davis, Starfleet Intelligence, retired.

Pex: Oh well ahem. Hello Commander. :: He said awkwardly. ::

Darven: You seem surprised, Ensign. Do you know my name?

Pex: Well not exactly, but I feel like you should be telling me what to do.

Darven: Don’t be ridiculous. I’ve been retired for decades. Well, dead actually. But for now, let’s just go with Lieutenant Hull, shall we. I still have a number of enemies out there who, hopefully, think I am dead. It would not be good if they learned I was still alive.

Pex: Your secret is safe with me Lieutenant. :: He said smiling. ::

• Like 1