• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Poll of the Week: Prequel Captain?

Randal Shayne

Poll of the Week: Prequel Captain  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which captain would you like to see featured in a prequel?

• James T. Kirk
    • Jean-Luc Picard
    • Benjamin Sisko
    • Kathryn Janeway
    • Jonathan Archer
    • Someone else?
    • Prequels are evil on principle!

Prequels are a sensitive subject in many television and literary communities. While some believe them to be generally interesting, positive ideas, the sudden abundance of stories-before-stories has others taking a more cynical viewpoint. Whatever your stance on this issue, it’s difficult to deny that the Star Trek captains we know and love have had very interesting histories, oftentimes touched on in their respective shows in interesting ways. Kirk’s days at the Academy and his time on the Farragut and Republic had profound effects on his decisions and character years later. Picard’s early command of the Valiant and his background in archaeology have been touched on in novels, and might yield an interesting dive into how he became the man known more commonly to fans. Archer’s time as a test pilot during the race to Warp 5, and the resulting tensions and issues with the Vulcan people, might well be a fascinating examination of how Earth grew and changed from war-ravaged hell to peaceful utopia. This week’s poll asks which captain you’d most like to see a prequel series focus on. Give us your vote here, and don’t forget to leave a comment! 

I don't know that I would go as far as to say they are evil, but I'm not sure I need another prequel.

That said, if they were going to make another prequel, I'd want to see one with Sisko, mostly because when people ask me 'Picard or Kirk', the answer is always 'Sisko'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I'd have to choose a captain, I would say either a new captain from the eras of the Trek canon that weren't explored - either the early 23rd or 24th century.

First captain that pops to mind might be Rachel Garrett, possibly the adventures of the Enterprise-C. Possibly including the full story behind Narendra III.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Going for the non-complicated option: no prequels.

Would be more interested in seeing how for instance a lower rank person we've seen in one of the shows, advances in career or maybe end up doing something totally non Starfleet and then returns for some odd reason and see how they adjust or cope with possible changes etc.

• Like 1

I'm happy with what we've gotten already because anymore prequels would just be too much with what we have already. That being said, if I had to choose, I picked someone else from the names shown. I would really like to see more of Captain Christopher Pike because I enjoyed the one from the Abramserve, but then Discovery's Pike happened and I would absolutely watch a show based around him and his Number One. 

• Like 1

Depends on how you define "prequel" in our current Trek circumstances -- since Discovery is in both past and present, and Picard takes place after Nemesis, we can't really call any of the shows "prequels" anymore. I disagree that prequels are evil on principle. I'm still crossing my fingers for an Anson Mount Pike show.

But I can't see any of these captains in a show. We already know all we need to know about these guys. If we need another prequel, I'm thinking more of Erika Hernandez, Demora Sulu, or Rachel Garret -- both captains who were important in Trek history, but typically glossed over in one or two episodes (or in Sulu's case, a scene in a film) with next to no screentime. Actually, now that I've spent time thinking about the possibilities, I need a Demora Sulu show. Please, CBS.

• Like 1

I’d love to see a show based around the Enterprise B or C, but I guess those are topics for another time.

for prequels, I’d have to say Archer. I’m not really a fan of Enterprise, or of Archer, but something set in that period, with humanity on the cusp of such a huge moment, could be really interesting. The decisions they make, and the sacrifices, as humanity changes from its selfish last to selfless future.

• Like 2