• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Lower Decks Interview: Lieutenant Lorian Lovar, USS Embassy

StarBase 118 Staff

We’re here with another interview with a newer member of our community. The title of this column is “Lower Decks,” hearkening back to the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode titled “Lower Decks,” in which junior officers aboard the Enterprise-D speculate on the reasons for recent unusual actions taken by the command crew near the Cardassian border.

This month’s interview is with the writer behind Lieutenant Lorian Lovar playing a Vulcan male Science Officer assigned to the USS Embassy.

GALVEN: Thank you for allowing me to interview you! Could you tell us a little about yourself for our readers out there?

LOVAR: (Writer) Thanks for having me! I’m definitely a huge trekkie, which I’m sure is a surprise to everyone here. I love all kinds of sci-fi stuff just in general actually. I’m also an avid gamer, coder, and dnd player.

(Lovar) I’m happy to be here! As you mentioned I’m a Vulcan science officer, but I don’t practice emotional suppression. Not too much anyway. I love cracking jokes with my crewmembers and gardening. I’m a botanist you see, plants are my passion. I’m lucky that I was able to be assigned to the Embassy after my leave, they have such a nice garden. Let’s see, what else… Oh! I have a cat named Captain Patches and I love him.

What has been your favorite moment writing with UFOP: StarBase 118?

My favourite moment has to be when Lorian found out about his brother’s disappearance. Simming the raw emotion behind his actions, the complete grief he faced. I think it was some of the best writing ever I’ve done.

Do you take any inspiration from movies/TV/books when writing for your character? 

Oh absolutely. I use Paul Rudd’s likeness for Lorian so obviously I make the occasion Antman reference. I’m trying to watch [...] his stuff to get a feel for the kind of comedy Rudd does so I can implement but I also like to add in my own stuff.

Now Lorian isn’t the typical Vulcan and will use a rather strange emotion that most of his species don’t and that’s a sense of humor. How are you using that for character development?

It’s definitely a fun tool to use while writing. Obviously he was never taught how to handle emotion because he grew up on Vulcan, all he knows is suppression. So when something bad or really good happens he’ll often overreact a little. It allows for really emotional dialog and descriptions from the character when the need arises. It can also make for some really comedic scenes.

Out of all the number of duty posts, you chose science officer. What advice can you give new and older members who want to choose that particular duty post?

Try to specialize in something you aren’t familiar with and learn along the way. I personally have never had an interest in botany but chose it so I could learn something new. It’s been an interesting journey of knowledge for me to be honest.

And lastly, do you personally have aspirations in the fleet? Are there any OOC activities you’re associated with, or any you’d like to join?

Well I’m secretly planning a coup to take over Star Fleet and install a new Vulcan empire… I’m kidding of course, but I’d definitely like to advance enough to get my own ship. That seems like the end all be all for Lorian. As for OCC activities I’m not in any at the moment but I’d love to join one.

Thanks for your time, Lieutenant Lorian Lovar!

You can read more about Lieutenant Lorian Lovar on the wiki.

The post Lower Decks Interview: Lieutenant Lorian Lovar, USS Embassy appeared first on UFOP: StarBase 118 Star Trek RPG.

ufopsb118?d=yIl2AUoC8zA ufopsb118?i=Z0m4Y49SYvA:cJicn4sSd0s:D7Dq ufopsb118?d=qj6IDK7rITs
Z0m4Y49SYvA

View the full article

• Like 1