• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Poll of the Week: Best Looking Uniform?

Randal Shayne

Poll of the Week: Best Looking Uniforms?   

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which uniforms do you think looked the best?

• Original Series (Red, Gold, Blue)
    • Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek II- VI (Monster Maroons)
    • The Next Generation (Mandarin collar)
    • Voyager/Early DS9 jumpsuits (mostly black with some color on the shoulders)
    • First Contact (grey shoulders, colored collar)
    • Enterprise
    • Discovery
    • Something else? Let us know in the comments section!

There's no getting past it; the United Federation of Planets has got style. Every live-action show has made some change to uniform audiences were introduced to in the 1960s. Often, it's a complete departure from precidented looks, and other times, its merely a subtle shift, but whether you prefer the utilitarian jumpsuit of Enterprise, or the "Monster Maroons" of Star Treks II-VI, it's likely that you have a favorite. 

Which of the uniforms, in your opinion, looks the best? Give us your vote, and let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

A big thank you to Lieutenant Kayla Drex for this poll idea! 

Edited by Randal Shayne
  • Like 1

I chose Enterprise because it has pockets. Now, for some, that may not be a big deal; but anyone with any sense knows that pockets are super useful for anything. Tricorders go in pockets. Black holsters like on TNG don't work well without a belt that doesn't have pockets. Pockets for the win. Zippered pockets are better.

I chose the early DS9/VOY style because it's the most practical for a day-to-day duty uniform of the "futuristic" fashions. The Enterprise uniforms are also practical of course but much closer to our current flight suits that astronauts and military pilots wear, whereas the DS9/VOY ones look distinctly scifi.

And actually, since one possible interpretation when we saw Generations with both TNG and DS9/VOY uniforms on one ship and then Voyager with the DS9 uniforms on a starship is that the uniforms are actually just another class of uniforms in the overall same set as the TNG ones, then it works even better.

• Day-to-day duty uniform "class B": DS9/VOY uniform
  • More formal "class A" uniform, seen on many starships especially more prestigious assignments such as the Federation flagship: TNG uniform with collar
  • Dress uniform: Shared by both styles

ttds_404.jpg

While the First Contact uniforms are popular, the overall gray versus the more colorful look always felt more military than "explorers" like the original vibe TOS had spearheaded. That's partly why although not as popular with many fans, I've embraced moving forward with the All Good Things future uniform as it's a return to a more colorful Starfleet, and honestly, for those who like to keep the gray, they don't look bad together:

CommandUniform.jpgSkyBlakeUniform.jpg

Uniform-Red-2395.pngUniform-Red.pngUniform-Gold-2395.pngUniform-Gold.pngUniform-Blue-2395.pngUniform-Teal.png

The TOS uniforms of course are iconic, although not really that practical. I like the Kelvin uniforms, too, seen at the beginning of Star Trek 2009, which actually look a bit similar to the All Good Things/Endgame uniform.

hemsworth-georgepub.jpg

• Like 1

I used to like the DS9/Voyager style uniforms back when I first got into Trek, but as I watched the TNG films and the later parts of DS9 those uniforms grew on me, and as far as canon uniforms go theyre my favourite, but my actual favourite uniforms designs are the 2410 variants from Star Trek Online, with a minor change of using the AGT combadge instead of the default STO ones. I particularly like dress jacket's recall of the monster maroons from the TMP-era (though in STO I choose to use it as the standard duty uniform much like the monster maroons were the standard uniform in the late 2270s).