• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Ensign Caitríona Cayne - Caitris' Melody (Part I & II)

(I keep forgetting to post this…) Some of the Gorkon Crew are visiting the Holodeck for an adventure game during shore leave. I'd say a welcome read for something non-trek. :-) Well done guys.

(( Weta Holoarena 4 - Wellington, New Zealand ))

::After her journey home to Earth, Caitríona Cayne returned to the USS Gorkon feeling fresh and new outlook on her life aboard the ship. The meeting with her brother went well enough - at least she returned all in one piece, however, while she was down there she took Counsellor Fortune's advice and took up a hobby.

::They both seemed to decide that one involving some form of physical work out would suit her and surfing was what stuck out the most for Caitríona. She grew up very close to the sea and she always adored being in the water, she was a great swimmer and could definitely handle the cold waters and waves. Her attempts to surf on Earth were interesting but it got the job done all the same. She has now returned to the Gorkon with a refreshed purpose - she didn't feel so negative about herself, nor would she want to again.

::So now here she stood in the middle of the Holoarena, feeling like a completely different person - she looked like a different person too, because the woman who stood there was not Caitríona Cayne - she was Caitris.

::Light snow while fell from the sky like a feather that drifts lightly in the breeze, landing in copper hair which was tied tightly into a pony-tail, a braid of intricate patterns which flowed down to the woman's waist. She wore a tightly fitted jumpsuit, green as the lands from which she hailed and golden elven patterns trailed along her curves and edges extenuating the woman's smaller frame. On top of this a white cloak as bright and as white as the snow at their feet, it almost disappeared off her back, blending into the surrounding area.

::She stood at a distance from the others for now, as she tilted her head to look out into the expanse of the forest, her pointed ears would come into the view of anyone who noticed her. They were obviously different from a Vulcan's - they were far more tapered at the top and slightly longer. As the cold snow drifted down and landed onto those tips, her ears twitched - the joys of the twenty-fourth century meant she could make her ears similar to the old descriptions of elves, and that wasn't the only thing different - her eyes were now a bright green similar to her clothes under the cloak, a stark difference to the woman's usual icy blue. After pulling up her hood and facing the others she began to make her way towards them - being an elf, her stealth overall would be far better than it actually was. With the help of the computer, there was no crunch, no sound, nothing, coming from her as she walked to the group.

::Reaching her hand behind and underneath the heavy cloak which draped around her like it was her - she pulled out what looked like a lute, but the item was grotesque, the wood looked rotted and strings, worn. Holding the lute comfortably between her body and arms the woman began to pluck at the strings with her right hand - the left moved along the top, she stroked the item as delicately as it appeared to need. The sound which came from the lute was quiet at first, building up slowly to quite a melodic piece. She could feel her own ears tingling as she played - like energy was gathering, was it coming from her or the lute? Either way, both were needed to create the energy that was emitted.

A. Sevo: Welcome, all!

MacFarlane: Good t’ be ‘ere. This promises t’ be a good adventure.

Adea: I’m excited to be here.

::Caitris (Cayne) who was pacing around the back behind the others, her fingers still plucking gently along with the instrument she held walked towards a woman she hasn't met and the Doctor - Adea. He was the only one in the group she was familiar with, and he even mentioned to Caitríona she should come along on this little adventure of theirs in passing. Now, the small creature which seemed to be the Doctor's - she wasn't so familiar with, the bark from Toto caught her attention and she smiled happily towards him as she continued her pacing. She began to hum gently - this projected the energy she was building slowly out into the air, she could feel some of it die down as she released it, her ears not so sensitive.

::Her hearing after getting these newer ears seemed different, especially from some enhancement from the computer itself. She could hear someone approaching and turned a little in her pace, she saw as the larger woman approached.::

Rhone: Greetings. I am Rhone. Might I join your quest?

::Glancing at the woman - the bright green eyes of the copper headed elf cut through everyone else who stood between them. She was interested in the larger woman, for a moment at least.::

Cayne: Greetings Rhone.

A. Sevo: If you’ve got mounts you’d like to use, import ‘em into the program and tack them over by Serenity and Diablo over there. :: She pointed to her white unicorn and Toran’s black horse. :: Behind the sleeping tents, we’ve got tents for blacksmithing, alchemy, and the like if you care to gear up.

::Her attention was now brought back to the leader of their group - she suspected they were the one responsible for their gathering, she was already thankful for that. This was going to be a good adventure.::

MacFarlane: One step ahead o’ yeh. ::She put her fingers to her mouth and let out a piercing whistle:: Aurora! ‘ere girl!

::Out of the woods trotted a second Unicorn. Similar to Serenity, her coat was pure white, however, her mane was shot through with streaks of chestnut and specks of black. Just as Ayiana had reconstructed her Skarbek mount, Tasha had too. Doctor Adea had a brown horse, who quickly trotted up to the stable, alongside a Gypsy Vanner breed of Rhone’s. Her horse was much larger and more muscular than the rest of the mounts, probably to account for Rhone’s size. Out in the distance of the woods, Caitis (Cayne) could hear her horse approaching after she shifted her fingers to create a higher pitch. Once he came towards the clearing the brown horse looked towards it's other and settled, remaining still like a statue as the music became soft again.::

A. Sevo: I’ve got some stew brewing in the campfire. Not sure what’s in it, come to think of it. Tread carefully.

MacFarlane: ‘as long as its ‘ot an’ tasty I’m ‘appy.

A. Sevo: Dunno. The program started up with it brewing. Think it’s rabbit and potatoes.

T. Sevo: :: Having already swiped a bowl. :: Tastes delicious to me. I’ve had much worse.

MacFarlane: Response

::Finding her place amongst the others, Caitis (Cayne) who stopped playing the Lute but still continued to hum the tune was finding it easy to integrate and feel comfortable - there were so many strangers but she wasn't Cayne here, plus having Adea - a familiar face helped to. She decided to sit near the Scot, she could tell from her accent - they had a very similar culture after all and that would definitely be a good place to start. She reached out and took a bowl from the larger pot of stew, noticing Genkos giving a smaller bowl to his animal companion.::

Rhone: I have some bread of a sort, could I barter for some stew?

A.Sevo: Help yourself.

MacFarlane: So, are we stickin’ t’ th’ names we already know each other by, or ‘ave yeh all come up with new ones?

A. Sevo: I...hadn’t thought of it. For now, I’m just Ayiana the Mage.

T. Sevo: Toran the Righteous!

MacFarlane: Well in tha’ case, I am Tasha o’ Clan MacFarlane, fiercest Barbarian in th’ land.

Adea: Well, you can call me Genkos, preacher of the faith, healer and this is Toto. ::he barked:: He won’t respond to anything else.

Rhone: I am Rhone, The prince’s champion. :: She placed a reassuring hand on the hilt of her falchion. ::

A. Sevo: Surprised you didn’t run off with the prince.

::Feeling a bit strange choosing a different name before she came here, Caitris (Cayne), decided to stick to her guns. She was feeling this character and she didn't want to change anything now, before speaking she set down the bowl of stew near her feet. Her hands found the familiarity of the lute again and plucking the strings, taking over from the humming sound.::

Cayne: Well I haven't met some of you - most of you, yet. I am Caitríona Cayne, but for our little adventure - why not call me Caitris, your faithful elven bard.

::She tilted her head to look at the Scottish girl, fighting the instinct to talk to Genkos - she needed to talk to someone she doesn't know, meet new people. That's why she was doing all of this really.::

Cayne: Where in Scotland are you from?

Cayne: Oh really? I love Glasgow, it's a beautiful place - and yes, I'm Irish. I am down south near Cobh. ::She nodded with a smile.:: We will have to talk sometime, maybe have a drink after all of this?

Adea: So once we’re fed and watered, do we just roam into the forest and see what happens, or do we have a quest?

::That was when her attention was brought to Adea. A quest - it was something that was on her mind too, she was curious what exactly they would be doing, which only added to her excitement.::

A Sevo: I’ve got the program in Sandbox mode for now. Once everyone’s here, I’ll enable questing. We can do just about anything we want here, from saving old ladies from bandits to toppling the Empire. The program is remarkably dynamic. We can just start exploring if we want. I suggest we head down to the nearby village and ask around about any problems. Seems a good way to start.

Adea: ::handing round a leather pouch he kept in a thong around his neck:: Anyone want a nip of this before we start. It’s “holy water”.

:: Without wasting time, Rhone took Genkos up on his offer, quickly taking a swig of the drink, nearly coughing it back up in the process. The pouch was passed around the group quite quickly. ::

Rhone: Consider me blessed.

Adea: Bless you child.

A. Sevo: Why Father, isn’t drinking a sin? :: She said sarcastically, smirking at Genkos as she took a sip. It burned on the way down, similar to Cory’s moonshine. ::

Adea: My backstory doesn't say whether or not I'm a good priest.

::Caitris took the drink next, her left hand coming away from the top of the Lute but her right still plucking away. Seemingly, she was the last person to take a sip from the pouch. Shaking it, it seemed to still be quite full - it was pretty impressive considering how many of them were here.::

Cayne: Is this a magical pouch? ::She asked with a raised eyebrow and smirk on her lips as she handed the pouch back to its owner - completing the circle::

MacFarlane/Adea/Anyone: Response

:: Once everyone had arrived and was sufficiently prepared, Ayiana mounted Serenity, who gave a slight neigh. Genkos mounted his own Chestnut, and heaved Toto into his lap. He squirmed and yapped excitedly. Rhone swung and climbed aboard Nakkin, needing to nearly do the splits for the massive warhorse. Caitris (Cayne) disappeared into the edge of the woods and mounted her companion, stepping back into view and now the horse was revealed as it came into the light. His coat was as dark as the shadows of the forest it came from but seemed to shine in the light as it stepped into the open, particularly from the snow which was on its feet. The horse also seemingly, didn't make noise as it trotted, similar to its companion now on it's back.

::She approached the others, she didn't hold onto the reins of the horse - in fact, it seemed he didn't have any. He listened peacefully which she continued to pluck delicately on his back, her melody ever flowing, ever controlling.::

A. Sevo: Computer, disable sandbox and enable questing.

::The chirp of acknowledgement was the only indication that anything had changed. Caitris (Cayne) watched the others as they looked around - particularly, the bigger woman, Rhone. Her hands now began to move faster, the tempo picked up to mark the beginning of their adventure.::

A. Sevo: Alright, let’s go, my merry band of...um… Y’know what, we need a name.

::She slowed the music down again - it wasn't time to go yet, it seemed.::

T. Sevo: The Gorkonites! :: He raised his pipe mace in triumph. He looked around at everyone else, hoping for agreement. :: Anyone? No?

Adea: I quite like the Gorkonites. It sounds suitably Arthurian.

::Arthur being an old Terran legend, about whom many many holoscripts had been written.::

MacFarlane/Rhone/Anyone: Response

A. Sevo: “Drunk and Disorderly?” Hehe.

Rhone: Filthy Casuals….?

::Caitris (Cayne) giggled as they joked about - her laugh, however, blended so well into the music she played, it was barely noticeable.::

MacFarlane/Anyone: Response

Adea: Can't we stick to Gorkonites? It's easy to remember, easy on the ear, and it's thematically appropriate.

Cayne: I agree - also, I think we should just get on with it. ::She smiled at everyone and plucked at the strings of the lute harder, the tempo picking up again.::

MacFarlane/A.Sevo/T.Sevo: Response

Adea: Let's ride!

::And so they set off - Caitris (Cayne), stuck to the back - after letting down her hood to feel the cold air across her face she smiled, looking around and plucking the strings of the lute in her hand. She began to sing - with the help of the computer, just like had this whole time with the lute..::

Cayne: ::Singing:: Io Ihol atten Eitná neme-vîta sílo dínniël iso olth a fasah lamanto dînea! A Hîro Akumunnûn gilthoniëla, lev lionet ia Cúviël!

::Happily singing - she was distracted. Hearing the noise of the others not of their party too late. She stopped dead in her tracks - her voice silenced, the lute now quiet but tense, the strings sounded strained. A small band of raggedy looking troops appeared. They had filth-encrusted armour, and only a few had any kind of metal swords - the rest carried thick sticks, heavy farming tools and one had a bow. The latter was notching an arrow. They were clearly deserters from some kind of army.::

The Bowman: Stop or I shoot!

::Caitris (Cayne) watched as the big one brought out her weapon - although the action was obscured from their potential rivals, it was visible to Caitris from this angle. A subtle note played, the deception lingering in the air.::

Adea: What do we do now? Fight them?

::Watching as Rhone approached, Caitris (Cayne) watched kept her ears perked up - listening for any danger that could be coming in.::

Rhone: We are the Gorkonites, we quest for glory. Join us or make way. If you attempt to stop us, you’ll be nought but carrion in moments!

::Snap - something caught her attention. A branch, a twig, she wasn't sure but an alarming noise all the same. Her horse picked up on this also and let out a deep huff and the note of deception played again.::

Cayne: It's an ambush! Watch your sides!

Adea/Rhone/MacFarlane/A.Sevo/T.Sevo: Response

::The hand on her Lute now stuck the strings, flicking along them quickly. Danger approached them and a battle was sure to be the outcome.

::Feeling the energy build-up from the loot like it did when she first took it out, this time it was more intense. It felt like electricity crackled around her head, the snapping noises close to her ears, she could feel the hairs on her body stand up and the ones on her head felt like they were trying to do the same. It felt like her hearing was even more amplified now - she could have sworn she heard what sounded like the draw of a string.

::Like an instinct, she let out a scream, her head snapping towards the woods on her right side. The energy seemed to erupt from her causing a force-field made of electricity to appear for a moment, separating their band of fellows from the enemy. Multiple arrows appeared from the woods and struck the field. -ZAP- Like insects hitting those old Terran machines that drew them in and killed them, the arrows fizzled out of existence. The wall fell and from the forest, the Bandits charged.::

Adea/Rhone/MacFarlane/A.Sevo/T.Sevo: Response

Bandits: Response

--
Ensign Caitríona Cayne
Medical
USS Gorkon
A238808CH0

• Like 2