• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

The Staff awards are only for those members who have achieved the rank of Commander or higher. These awards recognize the hard work of our community members who go above and beyond to ensure that everyone has a great experience here. There's so much behind-the-scenes work required to keep the engine of our community running, and these folks are a central part of that.

Just like with last year, the first officers of the fleet were asked to vote on the nominations for each staff award, providing recommendations to the EC about who should receive each award. We’re so happy to have this valuable feedback and guidance for our staff awards!

Special Commendation

Quinn Reynolds, Roshanara Rahman

Presented by Tristan Wolf on behalf of the Executive Council: "This year we had an interesting set of nominations for Quinn Reynolds and Roshanara Rahman, nominating each of them for the Great Bird Award. The Great Bird is the highest honor given to any officer, and is intended to be given to those folks that push a paradigm shift in our way of thinking.

After reviewing the nominations, the Executive Council felt they didn't match exactly what we're looking for with the Great Bird Award, the criteria for which is very specific. But these nominations had their heart in the same place: Wanting to recognize people who've made incredible, deep contributions to the group that have had an outsized impact on the nominators and should be recognized accordingly. We know that one of the weaknesses of our awards program is that the longer you're here, the more likely you are to have been awarded nearly everything. So we want to just take a moment to recognize – here at the top of the Staff Award presentation! – that we've heard your nominations and know that many want an opportunity to show these staff members how important their contributions are. The Executive Council is going to consider, for next year, if there's another award we can add that can match the intention of these nominations.

But until then, we just want Emma and Rich to know how much we appreciate their contributions, and how glad we are to have them as leaders in our community.

It would be hard for me to say anything at this point that hasn't been said about Emma or Rich already – you only have to go back to last year's Picard Award, or T'Pau Cluster presentations to learn about how much we value the expertise, wisdom, and care Emma brings to our community; or to last year's Christopher Pike Pendant presentation for Rich, or 2017's Staff Member of the Year presentation, to learn how his innovation, skill, and enthusiasm for new ideas has brought us to new horizons.

So more than anything, we just want to emphasize for Emma, and Rich, on that people are watching the love and care they put into our community, that they are recognizing these contributions, and that we are all thankful for them."

Staff Member of the Year Award
Staff Member of the Year Award

For staff members who have contributed tirelessly to the organization through any number of OOC channels, while maintaining excellence in simming on their vessel.

Tristan Wolf, Executive Council

Presented by Quinn Reynolds: "The winner of this year's Staff Member of the Year is someone who is always visible, yet the dedication and countless hours he puts into the group often flies under the radar — to the point where I assumed he must have already won this award! Tristan Wolf leads or has a hand in almost every major OOC effort that we have: the Academy, the News Team, the Publicity Team, the Chat Team, and of course the website, forums, wiki and Discord.

But wait, there's more!

In the past twelve months, he's been a driving force behind the launch of multiple ships, supporting the fleet's new commanding officers with teething problems and unexpected situations. In fact, he is always on hand to offer guidance to captains both new and veteran, offering thoughtful and practical advice that can be instantly implemented, helping them through all kinds of difficult (and sometimes unusual) circumstances.

Of course, it's not just the staff he supports, but members too. He's a dab hand at the art of placement, finding our new graduates or transfers a home where they'll have the best chance to flourish and have fun. Every new cadet is welcomed to the fleet and extended a genuine invitation to come to him with any difficulties. Close to my heart and that of many others, he's always making sure that all our community environments are a considerate, safe place for all.

It's fair to say that this fleet would not be the place it is without his dedication, leadership and vision, and so for this reason I am honoured and delighted to present Tristan Wolf with the Staff Member of the Year."

The James T. Kirk Cross
The James T. Kirk Cross

Given to new Commanding Officers who show outstanding potential in the field of commanding.

Mei’konda, USS Astraeus

Presented by Roshanara Rahman: "This year’s James T. Kirk Cross recipient, Captain Mei’konda, celebrated his promotion to captain recently, the culmination of his journey towards command that he and his writer Aaron began two years ago. Since his first days as an ensign, Aaron demonstrated a knack for leadership in-game, most memorably when he was given the opportunity to take command of his ship the USS Mercury early in his character’s career to complete a mission. Yet while his simming and storytelling remain as impressive as ever, it is the skill and effort that Aaron demonstrates each day since having assumed a command of his own last year that has earned him this recognition as an outstanding new commanding officer.

Since his transition from a supporting ship’s staff member to the role of a command staff officer, I have witnessed Aaron’s development as a mentor, teacher, and leader, first as FO for the USS Veritas and now as CO for his own crew. His kindness, patience, and ability to pinpoint an issue for him and his crew to focus on serve as a model for the members under his command now learning to become leaders in their own right. He has honed his communication style that is gentle yet direct when giving feedback to others. The positive roleplaying environment he has created aboard the USS Montreal and USS Astraeus is reflected in the enthusiasm of his crew’s simming. Through it all, he remains humble and seeks the advice of his fellow COs as he continues to learn the intricacies of command.

It has been a great privilege to write with Aaron since he was first assigned to the Mercury after his graduation in 2013, a great honor to serve as his command mentor for the past two years, and now a great joy to call him my fellow captain. Congratulations, Captain Mei’konda on all of your achievements and godspeed as you and your crew embark on the next chapter aboard your new vessel!"

Shuvalis Diamond of Recognition
Shuvalis Diamond of Recognition

For long-term achievement in leading the Publicity Team.

Jarred Thoran

Presented by Quinn Reynolds: "This year, one of our most decorated officers will be Jarred Thoran, a seemingly tireless community member, First Officer of the Columbia, and even the Awards Facilitator for 2019! One place he was highly nominated was for his work on the Publicity Team, where he has been dedicated to expanding our reach, organizing the team, and finding new channels for recruiting. This led to the discovery of Reddit as fertile ground for nostalgic Star Trek fans, and dozens of new applications that helped bolster fleet membership just when we needed it most. One nomination said he 'injects with his own energetic love for ushering in new blood to SB118,' which seemed like a delightful way to describe it. And there are more fun projects on the horizon that Thoran is facilitating with the hopes of expanding our reach even further. So for all this ingenuity and diligence, awarding him the Sarek Star seems like the exact way we need to honor his work. Thank you and congratulations, Cmdr. Thoran, for everything you're doing to help our community grow and thrive!"

The Sarek Star
The Sarek Star

Given to a command officer who shows great diplomatic ability in working with members and staff.

Theo Whittaker, USS Columbia

Presented by Sal Taybrim: "The Sarek Star epitomizes a Command Officer’s ability to work with others, and recognizes extreme effort put into building communication between crewmates, ship staff, the Captain’s Council and the Executive Council. No command officer better exemplifies this award in 2019 than Captain Theo Whittaker.

Over the past year Captain Whittaker had worked through a number of hurdles that are common in roleplaying games and have the potential to either break a game or make it stronger. And in even circumstance, Captain Whittaker rose to the challenge. His crew strongly recognized his efforts to work with a disruptive player, all the while protecting the rest of the players from the disruption. They recognize his calm and supportive mentorship, as well as his ability to build up new staff members when experienced staff need to take an LoA. Captain Whittaker had done an exemplary job in supporting and training his command staff and creating a fantastic mentorship program for new leaders in the SB118 fleet.

Captain Whittaker also made great strides in building strong positive communication with his fellow Captains and the flag officers. He reaches out to his fellow command staff for help early on so positive solutions can be implemented before a crisis happens. This not only builds stronger bonds and better trust between command officers, but it also protects Whittaker’s crew and makes sure the game on the Columbia stays fresh and fun. I am so proud of everything Mikey has done over the past year to ensure the success of the USS Columbia and this award is so richly deserved. Congratulations, Captain Whittaker!"

Christopher Pike Pendant
Christopher Pike Pendant

Awarded to commanding officers who command their ship with honor and dedication, and help to provide a creative atmosphere which fosters outstanding simming.

Jalana Rajel, USS Constitution

Presented by Toni Turner: "Of all the awards presented, the Christopher Pike Pendant is one of the most coveted as it symbolizes the things that every commanding officer in aspires to do - command their ship with honor and dedication and help to provide a creative atmosphere which fosters outstanding simming. And Fleet Captain Rajel certainly has accomplished that goal as anyone can tell, from the sims her crew submit. They are comfortable in the environment she has created. It is evident that this talented lady takes pride in her work and strives for perfection in everything she does to enhance the entire community through the collective and her writing. So it is my honor to present her with the Christopher Pike Pendant and give her my sincere congratulations for her accomplishments."

Chief’s Citation
Chief’s Citation

Recognizing the essential staff members whose determined work has benefitted the group In Character, and/or Out Of Character, even while their primary service was not as the Commanding Officer of a simming installation. Inspired by the non-commissioned and enlisted personnel who are the backbone of any starship but were rarely recognized in Star Trek lore in favor of the officers.

Alex Blair, USS Constitution

Presented by Tristan Wolf: "It's always a pleasure to recognize someone like Alex Blair (Jeremy) who has been a member for quite a while now, across a number of ships. In his case, this recognition comes for his quiet and reliable service in a number of OOC roles where he's been an invaluable pillar. If you've never simmed with him, then you almost certainly know him from our weekly email newsletter, which comes out every weekend with a roundup of the last week's worth of Community News and reminds everyone about upcoming events in the fleet. Jeremy has been assembling the newsletter for over two years – dutifully preparing everything we need and delivering it on time for review. It's been a benefit to the fleet as more people know about what's happening around the community, and Jeremy's help has been invaluable to me on making it happen! But that's not all – in addition to the newsletter, Jeremy's also the Chief Academy Statistician. This is a role that requires keeping careful notes about not just every new and returning player that comes through the Academy, but also about all the Training Officers. In this role, Jeremy has helped us keep track of when each trainer finishes their requirements for promotion, but also just ensuring that we rotate trainers properly each week with new classes. As thanks to him for all of his work over these past few years, we award this Chief's Citation. Congratulations, Cmdr. Blair!"

Please join us in congratulating these members of the staff!

• Like 4

Congratulations to everyone who got an award! You all work so hard to make this group the best for us all! To each and everyone of you thank you for everything you do! These awards were well deserved by all who received them!

• Like 1

Very well done, all. Congratulations!

Congratulations, all! I'm honored to serve with such dedicated individuals. Our community is very fortunate to have you all at the forefront training and inspiring new writers.

• Like 1

All very well deserved! Congrats to everyone!

Congratulations everyone, you are all well deserving of the award you received! I've met everyone of you at some point and you work very hard to make sure everyone has fun!

I am especially proud of @Alex Blair though, him being my First Officer. It's a pleasure to work with you!

And of course a huge thank you for my own award, I have not expected it. I am very happy to be able to provide a place to have fun for my crew and help by providing a creative and fun environment. :)

• Like 2

Absolutely awesome! Congratulations to all the winners, you continue to be the hallmark for which many of us strive to reach. 

@Jalana & @Alex Blair

I'ts an honor to serve with both of you. As CO and FO respectively of the Conny, you make every day simming a joy because we know there will always be someone to tag you, or reply to tags. (Easy since half of the Conny is staffed by our Fleet Captain's PNPCs. :P) 

Huzzah!

Congratulations everyone!

@Roshanara Rahman thanks for being there for me when I want to do something strange and odd - and for being one of the first folks to reach out to me after I got out of the academy and get me involved in things outside the ship.

Thanks, @Jarred Thoran for all the work you do behind the scenes, jumping on things that need doing and making all of our lives that much easier.

Great work all of you, all very much deserved.

Congratulations to some of the hardest working members of the fleet! The work you all do behind, as well as in front of, the scenes is almost unfathomable! Thank you all!

Congratulations to both Quinn Reynolds, Roshanara Rahman for getting the Special Commendation. I don't know of anyone more deserving of this recognition.

Also my sincere congratulations to these fine members of staff:

Tristan Wolf,as Head of Executive Council, works harder than anyone and very well could be Staff Member of this Year Award, but every year as well.

The James T. Kirk Cross is quite an honor for Mei’konda, USS Astraeus, a newly minted Captain.

Shuvalis Diamond of Recognition for Jarred Thoran is a well- deserved honor.

The Sarek Star given to Theo Whittaker, USS Columbia works closely with the EC to find the answers to unique problems that arise.

Jalana Rajel, USS Constitution, recipient of the Christopher Pike Pendant, has often inspired me with her many talents.

I don't know how Alex Blair, FO of USS Constitution keeps up with all the news and events and delivers it for us to read in email, but he is certainly deserving of Chief’s Citation for doing it on top of all his other duties.

• Like 1

It is truly an honour to get to work with such high calibre people - congratulations to you all, and thank you for all your hard work and efforts :D

• Like 1

@Jarred Thoran - Congratulations and thank you for all the work you do on the publicity team and for all the various facets of our game that you improve!  You have done an amazing job this year!

@Jalana - Congratulations on the Pike Pendant!  You have worked so hard for so many years as CO of the Conny and done a great job!  I'm so happy to see you recognized!

@Mei'konda - Congratulations!  Launching a ship is no easy task and you approached the hurdles and growing pains with commitment and energy.  Thank you so much for working so hard for your crew!  I'm glad to see you honored this year!

@Alex Blair - Its rare that we get to recognize someone who works behind the scenes like you do, but I'm so glad we had the opportunity to recognize you for all the hard work you've done on the fleetwide newsletter and on the academy stats.  Congratulations and thank you so much!

@Theo Whittaker - I am so proud of you Theo.  You have learned so much this year, and grown as a commanding officer, shaping one of the best ships in the fleet.  You deserve this and I'm so happy to recognize all your hard work.  Congratulations!!

And finally - I know it might seem odd to present Fleet Admiral Wolf with an award like Staff Member of the Year, but I didn't realize he had never won it until I did some research!  And this was absolutely the year to recognize Wolf.

I know players don't see what all happens behind the scenes - but this year Fleet Admiral Wolf supported some of our biggest OOC taskforces, helping with the Publicity team, the chat team and leading the News team!  He also stepped in and helped almost every ship on our roster navigate through difficult times, from helping CO's get back on their feet after IRL emergencies, helping ships work through hard times, facilitating a ship merger and two ship launches, working through a sudden rush to place an awesome group of players from Reddit and more.  ALSO it's the 25th anniversary!  He's administrated this game for 25 years!  That's amazing!

I want to say Thank you to @FltAdml. Wolf for proving a longterm stable game for players to continue to write amazing Star Trek stories year after year.  Thank you so much and congratulations!

• Like 1

Congratulations to everyone who won an award in this category! I’m humbled and proud to be amongst such talented and incredible human beings. Thank you for helping to make this glorious community a beacon of creativity and talent! xxx

• Like 1