• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Ensigns G'var, Teller and Maxwell: Let's get the heck out of Dodge!

An excellently written joint post by @G'var, @Geoffrey Teller, and @Cole Maxwell showing the evacuation of the USS Veritas

(( FLASHBACK - Sickbay, USS Veritas ))

::The panels and instruments in sickbay beeped and chirped softly as the medical staff continued about the business of their rounds.  The few patients occupying the biobeds were all well out of danger and required little more than observation at this point to ensure they were all thoroughly healed.  MedTechs checked readouts while the CMO sat in his office, updating casualty reports now that the crisis of the Artemis had passed. One patient, a short, red haired Ensign, was busy dismantling a molecular imaging scanner and spreading the parts on an unoccupied biobed next to his. ::

Teller:  oO I’m running out of stuff to take apart in here.  Can’t believe I’ve got to sit it out while the rest of the Engineering team has to glue the ship back together. I didn’t get blown up THAT badly. Oo

Teller:  Hey Doc, if you let me out of here, I’ll find you a polarization inhibitor for this thing ::he gestured vaguely towards the pile of inert components:: should give you much better resolution than the stock model.

:: Cole was conferring with a nurse about the reports while he sat at the desk and heard the Chief Engineer’s yell from the main room. He looked over to see Teller had taken apart a scanner. He took a deep breath and sighed with annoyance. ::

Maxwell: oO Just another hour… Oo

Maxwell: ::forcing a grin:: While I appreciate that Chief, I’d prefer if you didn’t go looking for things to tear apart anymore. You’ll be able to go back to work in about an hour.

Teller:  I appreciate you being thorough but come on, it was internal bleeding.  ::Smirking:: That’s where the blood is supposed to be! And it’s not like I haven’t got a spare lung.  Who needs two anyway?  

::Teller laughed as Maxwell scolded him with a look, then turned back to the pile of components.  He began to whistle a tune but before he could get two notes out, the deck was washed in the blue of disaster alarms.  Teller was momentarily transported back to the interior of the Odyssey and his heart skipped a beat. The Captain’s voice on the Comm only partially snapped him out of his remembering::

Rahman:  =/\= All hands, this is the Captain. Proceed to the nearest escape pods and Abandon Ship. I repeat, all hands Abandon Ship. This is not a drill. =/\= 

::Teller dropped the components in his hand and froze in shock for a moment.::

:: Cole rose from his desk and instinct took over. He’d drilled for a starship evac at the academy and the procedures were drilled into his consciousness. Rushing in to sickbay from the office, the medical officer started giving orders. ::

Maxwell:  We’ve got three patients, let’s get them stabilized and prepped for evac. ::to Nurse Imari:: Imari, contact the shuttlebay and confirm we’ve got a shuttle ready to go. ::to another Nurse:: Get the emergency evacuation supplies out of storage and get them down to the shuttlebay. ::to Teller, with a knowing smirk:: Chief, looks like you’re coming with us right now.

Teller: oO Not again. Please not again. Oo

:: Cole jogged over to the main LCARS interface and began downloading a copy of the medical database as a backup, along with any files containing specialized medicine or treatments the crew needed. He hoped the replicator on the shuttle would suffice for making anything they might need. ::

::Teller looked around in a mild daze, paralyzed for a moment by shock and confusion.  He tried and failed to go in several directions at once and settled for pulling off his hospital gown and grabbing a uniform jacket out of a nearby locker.  The parts of his mind not reeling in shock took stock of the cabinet and he began throwing equipment into a gear bag hurriedly as the staff in sickbay went to their stations and began doing the same.  Doctor Maxwell coordinated the frantic efforts like a trained orchestra conductor. Moments later, A fierce Security Ensign ran into the room, already with several people in tow ::

::As G'var entered Sickbay she was greeted by the same chaos as in the Corridor. G'var watched as the Ship’s Medical staff frantically ran from cabinet to drawers, cramming whatever they could into kits and packs. Scanning the room G'var could see Doc Maxwell right in the middle giving orders to the staff and trying to keep the chaos moving as orderly as possible.::

G’var:::striding over to Maxwell::- Doctor! One of your staff flagged us down in the corridor, said you needed help evacuating Sickbay. ::motioning to Bicondova and IA:: We came to help out, what do you need us to do?

:: Cole looked up from the console again. He’d been answering questions and furiously trying to get people focused while dismissing non-essential personnel to the escape pods. It was taking everything he had to remain calm in the face of danger. Now that G’var was here, the doctor grinned knowing he had even more help. But then he saw she had the Orion woman in tow and the grin vanished. ::

Maxwell:  G’var, you two grab a gurney and help her ::motioning to one of the patients in sickbay:: onto it. She should be stabilized and ready for transport.

Teller:  Are we under attack?  Is it the Tholians?!

::G'var could see the CHENG was agitated, he was wearing his uniform a little crooked and his hair was unkempt:::

G’var: oO hope the CHENG is good to go, this must be one rough wake-up.Oo

G'var: Negative CHENG, there have been no secondary explosions or decompressions, from what I was able to gather in the Security Center it appears to be an internal problem with the deuterium supply. 

IA:::sauntering up to Teller::-Darling!!! There’s not a Tholian within a parsec of the ship.::giggling:: You've just run out of fuel, and we’re all about to suffocate. ::Holding her hand out to Teller:: Now why don't you just take Mistress IA’s hand and i’ll fly you right off this heap.

Teller: ….your voice sounds real familiar….you’re the woman from the damn interceptor! 

IA:::doffing a hand in recognition::-indeed ::beat:: you can address me as her Most Magnificent, Mistress IA. Can I Autograph something for you?

:: Cole heard a beep and grabbed the PADD with the newly downloaded database backup. He grabbed his own medkit and stuffed the PADD inside. Walking over to IA and Teller, Cole pulled out a hypospray with the pheromone suppressant and jammed it into the Orion woman’s neck. ::

IA:::Rubbing her neck::-Noy Jitat! ::leering at Maxwell:: I didn't know you liked the rough stuff Doctor, after we get of this dump, show a girl a good time.

Maxwell: ::shrugging:: You were due for a top off.

::G'var gave Doc Maxwell a silent Thumbs up as he re-inoculated IA. From the corner of her eye G'var could see that Teller was hurriedly trying to back a carry all with whatever would fit. G'var could sense the apprehension and nervousness radiating from the CHENG. She was just about to say something when she saw Doc Maxwell begin to step over.::

:: Cole saw that Teller was still frantic. He put the hypo back in the medkit and grabbed the red haired man’s shoulders. He then brought his eyes down to the Chief’s level. ::

Maxwell: Teller! We’re going to be fine. I need you to focus for just a few minutes. Alright?

Teller: Huh?!  Oh...right Doc.  Sorry.  Alarms got my nerves a little jangled, I’m alright.  

::Teller looked around, his heartbeat thunderous in his ears.  Staff were pulling themselves together quickly and professionally.  Teller tried to calm his breathing but couldn’t entirely squelch the sensation of panic.  The lack of a clear task and his own recent experiences were compounding his indecision badly::

Teller: oO This is too much like the nightmares.  I do NOT want to hurtle off another doomed ship this week.  Not doing that again.  Oo

:: Cole hoped that sedating the Chief Engineer wouldn’t be necessary, but kept the idea in the back of his mind. Looking around, he saw everyone seemed to be ready. ::

Maxwell: Alright people, let’s move! Shuttlebay!

::G'var took an over laden pack from one of the staff and quickly threw it across her back. Motioning Bicondova over, G'var squatted down and took hold of the gurney. Bicondova huffed as the back she was carrying shifted and she nearly tipped over. G'var nodded approvingly as she shifted her gait and kept her balance. Together the two lifted the unconscious Crewman off the floor.::

G'var:IA! ::Nodding to a pile of medical equipment:: Make yourself useful and take something with you.

IA:  Darling, I don't lift, I supervise.

Teller: I saw the state of your ‘ship.’ lady - that thing made a Tellarite garbage scow look well managed.  

IA:::haughtily::-Fine..::Shouldering a Pack and picking and a case.:: Let’s get this show on the road.

Teller:  Now that said I couldn’t help but notice you’ve got a fine singing voice - don’t suppose you know any Orion pirate shanties?  I’d love to learn a new one!    

::Mistress IA rolled her eyes at the smirking Ensign as they headed into the hallway of the dying ship::

((Turbolift 6, USS Veritas))

::The ride down to deck 9 had been interesting G'var was thankful the power held out long enough to get everyone and everything down from Sickbay. With all Escape pods launched from Deck Six, the Shuttlebay was now their egress point. As they made their way to the shuttlebay, G'var stripped off her equipment pads, clicking out of the last strap, she smiled slightly, the pads had protected her one last time climbing out of the lift tube, the car having stopped halfway between decks 8 and 9. ::

(( Corridor - Deck 9, USS Veritas ))

::Teller, G’var, Doctor Maxwell and party headed to the shuttlebay as the ships lights flickered around them.  Teller could hear systems failing and rerouting, the dip and hum of the power system struggling vainly to meet demand.  Teller knew that whatever was overwhelming their ship was doing it with shocking speed.  Teller tried to open a comm line to engineering but only got static..::

::As the group hurried through the empty corridor to the shuttlebay, G'var could feel the ship’s systems begin the spin down; the familiar hum of the deck and the buzzing of the bulkheads was fading. To her right the CHENG kept tapping his comm badge trying to raise anyone in Engineering. G'var, prayed to Kahless that there was no one left in Engineering, that were all safely off the ship.::

G'var:::looking to IA::- When we get into the Shuttle I want you to take the Helm, get the ship ready to fly. :: looking her in the eye:: All our lives are in your hands now, you read?

IA:::smacking both hands to her chest::-Darlings! I keep telling you, I'm the best Fraking Pilot in the Shoals, you're more safe in my hands than at your mother's breast. ::winking:: Trust me when I say, I have no desire to end my life in a fiery crash on some desolate planetoid. 

G'var:::smirking::- Now that I can almost believe.

::Teller ground his teeth.  The woman’s voice, which at first had seemed so sensuous, was now rapidly becoming exceptionally grating.::

Teller:  Could’ve fooled me, way you kept your ship.  I’m amazed you lived this long.  

Maxwell: Let’s focus people. We’re almost there.

:: Cole was pushing one of the two gurneys behind the rest of the group to make sure nobody fell behind. He kept his eyes on Teller in particular. ::

Teller:  oO This is infuriating, something's killing the ship and I’m running through a hallway away from my station.  I should be downstairs making sure everybody got out.  I’m not making that mistake again. Oo

Teller:  Computer, Verify that Main Engineering has been completely evacuated?

::The computers reply stuttered and was garbled badly::

Computer:  Main Engineering has been ccCCcc evacuated.  All on-duty personnel have reported to theEEeEEeir assigned evacuation stations. 

Teller:  I sure hope that’s true.  Wait.  Computer, Verify that Crewman Shandres has left the ship?

G'var: That girl can't still be on the Ship! 

Computer:  CCCCCCCCCCCCreman Sandresssssss departedddddddd the ship at 15:42 hours in Escapppppe Pod Seventeen Sig... 

Bicondova:::under her breath::-That girl has more lives than a cat...good luck Taz.::smiling::

::Teller kept running as the main computer core shutdown.  Systems all over the ship were failing to their independent emergency redundancies.  He only hoped that whatever affected the ship wasn’t crippling the smaller and more fragile shuttles.::

::The loss of power was affecting more and more systems, by the time they reached the Shuttlebay, G'var was forced to access the emergency door locks, with power down the doors had to be forced, with everyone’s help they were able to get the doors open enough to allow everyone through.::

(( Shuttlebay 2 ))

G'var: Everyone get to the Ferdinand, we’re wheels up in five! ::pointing to the shuttle:: IA get in there and start warming her up. CHENG! ::looking to Teller:: Let's see if we can get those doors open shall we.

::Teller skidded to a halt at the lip of the shuttlebay, a wave of vertigo making him nearly double over.  Every instinct was screaming at him to run the other way.  He heard G’var’s request from a distance and it was enough to keep moving, but panic was fighting its way to the front of his mind.::  

Teller: ….should...yeah...doors...ok.  

Maxwell: Right! Imari, take Crewman Keller from G’Var and get her loaded.

Imari: Yes doctor.

:: Cole, his medical team, and the two patients in tow boarded the shuttle. The doctor helped get the two unconscious members of the crew onto the benches and strapped them in. Once done, the team chucked the gurneys out of the shuttle and onto the bay floor. The nurses and techs were securing the medical supplies and Cole took scans of the two patients again. ::

::Teller jogged over to the control station and with shaking hands began the departure sequence.  An alarm echoed through the bay and the great doors began sliding upwards.  The shimmering environment field was flickering, dangerously close to collapse.  Teller frantically tried to pull up a ships diagnostic but the panel went dead under his hands.  In frustration, he punched the panel hard enough to make his knuckles bleed::

::As the Medical Staff strapped in the injured Crew. G'var moved to the cockpit. Taking the co-pilots seat G'var was impressed by how quickly and expertly IA was getting the ship ready. Perhaps her earlier boast had some truth to it.::

G'var:::turning to Bicondova::-I want you to stay with the Medical Team, make sure they have what whatever they need and keep them and yourself safe. Now go back and strap in this could get bumpy.

Bicondova:::Giving a quick salute with her rifle::- Aye Aye Ma’am!

::Teller jogged to the shuttle, but each step seemed to make his legs heavier and his heartbeat louder.  He knew he had to get off the crippled Veritas but the animal part of his mind was gnawing at itself with panic.  Hesitating at the boarding ramp, his hand went to his recently healed left side.  He could feel his breath again growing short and his chest throbbed with imagined pain.  Teller slumped into the crew chair just inside the door heavily and desperately tried to stop hyperventilating::

Teller:: oO Just can’t trust these little buckets in an emergency.  Anything could happen. Oo

::As Bicondova went to the rear, G'var turned to IA.::

G'var: Can you fly this ship? All our lives are in your hands now, don't let us down.

IA:::Laughing::- That was one hells of a pep talk Ensign ::sensually stroking the flight controls:: Don't worry Darling, I'm about to make love to this big boy, strap in ::beat:: tight. You're in for one hellova show.

G'var:::placing her face in her palm::-Just get us on the ground in on piece.

Maxwell: ::Aloud.:: Alright we’re good to go back here. ::towards the flight controls:: What’s the hold up?!

IA:::Pressing a control on the console::-Nothing My pretty, just setting the mood.::

:: Cole rolled his eyes and let out a breath of frustration. ::

Maxwell: oO It’s always SOMETHING! Oo

::As IA powered on the engines and began to raise the shuttle from the deck a strange melody began playing over the internal speakers.::

Foghat:...Slow ride...Take it easy…

:: Cole smiled without realizing it when he heard the song. ::

Maxwell: oO Foghat? Oo

G'var:::reaching for the mute button::-what is this Noise, Focus on flying.

IA:::slapping G'var’s hand away::-Pilot picks the music ::beat:: shotgun shuts her cake hole.::winking and smacking her lips as G'var:: Hold On Back There this is gonna be ::throwing yoke forward:: bumpy!

::Everyone lurched backwards as the inertial dampeners struggled to keep up with Mistress IA’s suicidally aggressive piloting.  Hastily piled gear shifted around the cabin as people struggled into whatever seats they could find.  The bay vanished in a rush behind them moments before numerous alarms began blaring from the cockpit::

IA:: Oh my.  It seems we’re using fuel at an alarming rate, darlings.

::Teller looked up at the alarm in the woman's voice::  

Teller:  What?  This thing should be good for hundreds of light years!  

IA: ::purring:: Perhaps you’d like to explain that to our fuel reserves.  Oops.  Too late.  There they go. 

::Everyone watched in muted horror as the moon filled the viewport window completely.  The shuttle continued inexorably downwards as systems, starved of power, failed one after another.  Using what remained in the shuttles attitude control system, Mistress IA pointed the craft in the general heading their failing sensors suggested was shared by numerous escape pods.  Buffeted from side to side, crew, patients and gear were thrown violently around the shuttles interior as the atmosphere thickened around the craft.  The slight whistle of atmosphere turned into a deafening howl as people fought to hold on.  Emergency lighting flickered and sparked as the uncontrolled descent wrought destruction on the delicate electronics of the shuttle.  In the dark, someone wept.  

IA: ::pouting:  I said no flaming death!  This is what I get for being a good girl!  Hrmph.  

::The clouds parted and the viewport briefly filled with glimmering seas and verdant green jungle. A turquoise sea sparkled to the horizon and a string of small islands was visible nearby.  The onrushing ground rapidly filled their perception as the shuttle began shearing through treetops hundreds of meters off the ground.  One burning nacelle was torn away as the tumbling shuttle plowed into the landscape, coming to rest at the end of a smoking, half kilometer gouge.::

((Crash site - Day 0 - Limbo))

::The remains of the shuttle sparked and popped in the smoldering black soil of the island.  Nearby animals angrily hooted and squawked as they fled from the noisy intruder.  In places, the jungle burned openly.  Several columns of black smoke rose above the treetops from other nearby landing sites as streaks of light in the sky heralded the imminent arrival of more evacuees.  Sonic booms rolled over the water from the numerous hurtling craft.  The shuttle hull itself clicked and popped as it cooled.  A momentary shower of sparks from the rear of the craft dispersed as the heavy metal hatch was explosively jettisoned by one of the few remaining emergency systems.  Oily black smoke poured from the shuttle as crewmen staggered out, half blinded by the brilliant sunlight and coughing violently from the fumes.::

::Teller winced as he dragged his gearbag towards the hatch, certain something in his arm or shoulder was badly out of alignment.  He hoped it was only dislocated.::

Teller:: oO Never getting in one of these things ever again.  Never. Oo

::G'var carefully disengage the safety harness, bracing her arm against the Flight console she slowly stood. Beside her IA lay unconscious, her chin resting on her chest. Reaching her hand to the Orion's neck, G'var found her pulse, her breathing steady. G'var let out a breath she didn't know she was holding. Looking back into the shuttle, she could see others beginning to get to their feet.::

IA:::gently covering G'var’s hand::-Why Ensign ::beat:: I didn't know you cared.

G'var:::retracting her hand::-You're awake, that's good ::beat:: are you injured ::beat:: can you move?

IA:::standing shakily::-I’m fine Ensign ::Turning to the back:: Go see to them.

::As G'var moved to help the others IA called back over her shoulder.::

IA:Remember Darling ::beat:: Big Shiny Medal made of Latinum!

G'var:oO Yeah :: beat:: she’s fine.Oo

:: Cole had been taken a spot on the shuttle’s floor and had tried to help brace the unconscious patients as the craft crash landed. In the process, his head flew back upon impact with the surface and banged into the shuttle bulkhead. The bright light from the open hatch brought him back to some semblance of consciousness, but pain throbbed in his head and his vision was blurry. ::

Maxwell: Huh.. what?

::He shook head to try and clear the daze, but while it helped his vision the pain only intensified.::

Maxwell: oO Got… to… get out… Oo

::Cole was able to grab one of the benches and get to his feet. He instinctively clutched at the back of his head due to the pain. When he brought the hand back into view, his fingers were red.::

Maxwell: oO Damn… Oo

:: The doctor looked around and saw that the rest of the crew were making their way out of the shuttle. Taking a deep breath to steady himself, Cole followed suit, trying to put the pain aside. But not before stopping to make sure his team and patients weren’t in any critical condition. ::

::Shuffling clear, Teller’s feet sank a bit into the soft soil as he tried to shake the ringing from his ears.  Within moments, Mistress IA, G’var and Maxwell also exited the remains of the craft, signaling that no one remained aboard.  After seeing to the disposition of his patients, Maxwell and G’var joined Teller at the foot of a nearby tree and tried to take stock of their situation.::

:: The shuttle had come to rest in a small clearing surrounded by what looked like tropical rain-forest. The sky was filled with a large ringed gas giant planet. Cole immediately felt the heat and humidity on his skin. ::

Teller:  Doc, G’var...I’m glad you made it down mostly in one piece.  You ::looking pointedly at IA:: I’m still on the fence about.  

IA:::Smirking::-I did get us safely to the ground Mr. Spitfire. Show me a Starfleet pilot whom could do any better.:: Slapping the hull of the shuttle:: You know these Starfleet designs are flying bricks ::beat::..very resilient to abuse ::smiles::.

G'var:::raising a brow::-I hate to say she has a point CHENG.

Maxwell:  ::nodding:: Uh huh…

:: Cole was just happy to be on solid ground. He was making every effort not to throw up. ::

Teller:  Right.  Now we get to play the survival game.  Instructor at the Academy said it goes like this - seconds, minutes, hours, days- you have to figure out if you’re going to survive the next sixty seconds, then fix those problems, then extend it to ten minutes, then to an hour, and on and on.  I’ve got some ideas for a search grid if you’re up for a bit of a hike, G’var.  

G’var:::stretching::-would love nothing better, we need to find any many other pods and crew as we can. 

Teller:  Doc, if you’d be willing, I think you’re in the best position to get an inventory together, then we can figure out what kind of timeline we’re looking at.  

::Teller’s head was swimming.  The heat and humidity were oppressive.  It was getting difficult to focus and the ground was quite soft.::  

Maxwell:  ::Nodding and looking around.:: We should probably see about having people make their way here to this clearing since it’s open and we have the shuttes resources. I’ll go make sure the shuttle’s emergency beacon is functioning and begin triage as people arrive.

Teller::oO Good that’s good...just need...quick break. Oo

Teller:  Great.  Now if you’ll excuse me, I think I’m going to pass out for a little while.  

::Teller slumped against the tree behind him as Maxwell began examining the mans shoulder and arm with his tricorder.::

Maxwell: Teller!

G'var: By Kahless’s Beard!

:: The tricorder showed the man’s shoulder was dislocated. ::

Maxwell: No ligament damage at least. ::to G’var:: Hold him still.

G’var:::Bracing Teller::-Check! got’m Doc! 

:: The doctor, fighting through his own pain, positioned himself next to the nearly unconscious Chief Engineer and took the man’s arm into his hands. With a silent count to three, Cole rotated the arm quickly to reset the shoulder back into its socket. Teller jumped back to life with a yell of agony. ::

Teller: Ungh….can’t a guy take a nap in the jungle?   

Maxwell: ::trying to smile:: That’s what you get for taking things apart in my sickbay.

G’var:::lightly kicking Teller’s foot::-Come on CHENG they ain't pay’n us by the hour. Do some push-ups and you’ll be fine.::smiling::

Teller: ::groaning as he stands:: Well it sure ain’t Risa.  

::The three of them took in the balmy tropical clearing with a shared look of trepidation.  In the distance, the local animals began to hoot again as birds wheeled high overhead.::

[End]

===============================

Ensign G'var
Security/Tactical Officer
USS Veritas 
V239511G10

Ensign Cole Maxwell, M.D.

Medical Officer

USS Veritas

V239512CM0

Ensign Geoffrey Teller

USS Veritas - NCC 95035