• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hello! After graduation, I've noticed some sims in my assigned ship ending with "tag/tbc". Now I've been able to (hopefully) suss out what they're used for, but I wanted to: 1. double check I had it right, and 2. point out that as far as I can tell, these specific acronyms aren't explicitly addressed in the training or on the wiki.

As far as I can tell, using "tag" in a sim means you've tagged other people to respond. But I'm confused as to its use. Clearly some ships use a tag in the subject line to make clear who should respond to a sim; the Montreal's manual states that "Tag: Name" isn't to be used in email subject lines, and I have seen at least one appreciation post that does so, so that much is clear and makes sense. But what's the purpose of putting it at the bottom of an email? It seems to me fairly self-evident that a sim that contains "Name: response" is "tagging" the person named. Is putting "tag" at the bottom of an email just to make sure people know that there are spots they need to respond to?

I'd also like to point out that in the training, the ((Location)) that is required at the start of every sim was referred to as a "location tag," and that the ::double colon:: was also referred to as an "action tag". It seems to me that narrative indicators and calls for a response are two entirely separate things, and should have separate names.

"TBC" appears to stand for "to be continued." If that's not what it means, then I am very confused. But even if that is what it means, I'm still confused, because the nature of an an ongoing collaborative narrative sort of implies that every sim is "to be continued," right? Unless the CO makes a final sim that wraps up an adventure, there's no reason *not* to continue a story, right?

Edited by Felderburg

I'm new to this as well, so take my thoughts with a large salt vampire.
I ran into this with my new assignment, and I think that TBC definitely means, we're going to continue this thread, I've tagged the folks who I'd like to respond, so let's keep on playing and keep the ball rolling.

Having said that, I'm not sure how to END a thread. I had one to end today so I put "Tag: None" in the subject line, because that's what my specific ship does, and at the end I put something like "End of Scene", because we had reached the natural conclusion between the two characters, and everyone else had moved on.

It will be interesting to see what the more experienced folks have to say.

- Bill/Solkar

My original ship put tag in the in the subject lines, so I decided to keep them up on the new ship.  I've found them useful to determine who is being referred to in a particular post.

The same with TAG/TBC.  They are most likely redundant standing for TAG and 'To Be Continued' and most players putting 'NT' instead when there are 'No TAGS' for other players to respond to.  Its possible for a minor thread to end during an adventure even while the larger adventure to continues. 

Neither of these conventions are used at the Academy because not every ship uses them and it seems both of you have found your way to ships that do.  Its one of those things that can vary from ship to ship.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Oddas Aria said:

My original ship put tag in the in the subject lines, so I decided to keep them up on the new ship.  I've found them useful to determine who is being referred to in a particular post.

I'm VERY glad you did this!
Traffic has been a bit heavy since everyone is coming on board, and getting settled, and introducing themselves. I want to read them all, which might be a fools errand, but I focus on those that I am tagged in first so I can respond and keep the ball in play in a timely manner.

- Bill

12 minutes ago, Sal Taybrim said:

end (I use 'fin' because I'm a dork) = this scene is finished.

I love this. That is all.

- Bill/Solkar

• Like 2

While during the last years I have often seen TBC and TAG I have rarely used them. In the beginning, I did because I thought it's like a must, but over the time I practically dropped it. On my ship people sometimes use it, others don't. I see it as a personal preference. As @Felderburg said you obviously saw that there are tags in the sim once you reach the end and to me, every sim is an open invitation to continue unless a comment is left that the plot is ended like for example ((OOC: Looks like a good spot to end it.))

The only time I actually use a TBC is if I write a JP (joint post) with someone and I know that someone posts another part after me, that indicates that the scene is not done but more is coming.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Felderburg said:

Hello! After graduation, I've noticed some sims in my assigned ship ending with "tag/tbc". Now I've been able to (hopefully) suss out what they're used for, but I wanted to: 1. double check I had it right, and 2. point out that as far as I can tell, these specific acronyms aren't explicitly addressed in the training or on the wiki.

Just to echo what others have said, it's mostly a habit/holdover from the past and you're not doing anything wrong if you don't include them in yours. When it comes to other people's, as long as you've read the sim, you aren't missing any vital information if you don't spot it. I generally feel that by the end of the post, it's self-evident when other characters are tagged, and whether the scene's finishing or continuing on -- we don't use tag/TBC on the Gorkon, and the only time I ever use TBC or fin/end is when it's a multi-part post.

1 hour ago, Solkar said:

Having said that, I'm not sure how to END a thread. I had one to end today so I put "Tag: None" in the subject line, because that's what my specific ship does, and at the end I put something like "End of Scene", because we had reached the natural conclusion between the two characters, and everyone else had moved on.

Putting tags in subject lines is a ship specific thing and you're always best checking with your CO/XO/mentor how to manage that, but your solution sounds reasonable and sensible to me. :)

Yea. Everyone above has pretty much explained it quite succinctly.

TAG/TBC is mostly a holdover from older days. I've been here almost five years and rarely used them. I think TAG at the bottom of a post was to indicate people were tagged for responses, but it's deprecated on some ships (it's up to the CO of a ship to dictate its usage). TBC is still sometimes used to indicate a continuation of a special narrative, such as a multi-sim post, or Joint Post.

Subject-line TAGging is in a similar boat. On the ships I've served on, we've been actively discouraged from TAGging people in the subject line, as we found that some people would only read the sims their character was tagged in, ignoring the other ships' sims. This could lead to confusion with the plot as people didn't read other groups' sims. Again, this is up to the discretion of the ship's CO.

• Like 1

Use of 'Tag!' at the end of a sim tends to vary player by player.  Personally, I've never used it because I very rarely send out sims without tags, but if I was writing more of what Mei'konda was doing on his own without tagging other characters, it could be a good thing to have in there.  Still, if people could just scroll to the bottom of a sim and see whether or not there's a 'Tag!' written there, they might skip reading it at all, at which point, why write it? :)

Oddas explained the reason above why we don't use location tags on the Montreal, either.  It was an experiment that Rich and I decided to try on the Veritas some time ago, because some players would miss important details to the overall plot that was going on because they didn't read something that lacked a subject line tag for them.  So far it seems to be working out well, but if you need any help at all getting used to it, just let us know!

I use the TAG/TBC... system pretty much as @Sal Taybrim. I find it useful to specify exactly whether a scene is continuing or not (especially as a CO) because sometimes people will continue a scene well past what I'd consider the natural end and transition point. I know it's probably just a matter of what people are looking for when they play the game. Some really enjoy the simulation aspect of it as the term simming implies and want to sim as much of what they're character would be doing to get from point A to point B. I prefer to write as if we are reading a script/novel, where once the story point has been covered in a scene, we can jump cut to the next scene. So for instance, if my character as a captain talks to someone on a planet and a meeting is arranged, if I don't think there's really any story reason to show her going to the turbolift and then the transporter room, I might instead just put END at the end of the scene on the bridge and then start a new sim showing her materializing on the surface of the planet.

In summary, on Veritas or at least my own system:

TAG! = There are tags left for people. We do not put tags in the subject lines because we want people to read every sim. Furthermore, a lot of times there are what I call "hidden tags," which are things left for other players even if not explicitly tagged to someone. For instance, if we are in a battle, and the tactical officer announces that we've taken a hit to deck 6 and have lost artificial gravity, we might not tag someone for a response right there, but it'd be perfectly acceptable (and wonderful) for a character not on the bridge to sim themselves experiencing the consequences of that damage.

TBC... = This means the scene is continuing on, whether because new tags are left and I want the next person to continue it or because it's part of a joint post (JP), and there is another part being sent to the list right after this.

END or --- = This means simply that the scene is over, and I don't want any more new tags added by others when they respond. Wrap up the scene and move on.

Of course, it's always good practice not to start and end a scene in one sim. If you start a new scene and leave tags for someone, you should let them respond and then let them continue the scene a bit further. But sometimes as a CO especially, it's necessary to put a definitive end to a scene so that the next story point can be reached.

On Veritas, we also employ explicit act cues such as labeling the first sim of an act (ACT 1, ACT 2, etc.) and the mission finale. Every ship/CO has their own preferred system, though, which is again why the academy sticks just to the basics.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Sal Taybrim said:

Why do some ships use this? Partially it's habit for some players, a good way to end off sims.  But some ships put some more meaning behind the endplate.

For me, I use the following definitions:

tags = there are tags for someone in this sim

tbc = There may not be tags for someone in this sim, but there is the invitation to continue the scene if the other player wishes

nt = no tags, for whatever reason

fao = "for the attention of" - there are no tags for a character in this sim, but I'm calling attention to the fact that action in this sim affects other characters

end (I use 'fin' because I'm a dork) = this scene is finished.

I kind of like this system. We don't use it on the Veritas, but there is an appeal here to clarify who needs to response/read with care. This would especially be helpful on busy sims.

Thanks for all the replies! It all makes sense now. I can see the pros / cons, but I'll just follow what my ship manual states.

• Like 1

Considered a 'long time simmer' nowadays, I honestly wasn't aware there was a difference between "Tag" and "Tbc . . . " (the latter of which I always use to sign off my sims). Only in rare occasions have I employed "End" - and even then, it's usually mission related. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

I always used them like this:

TAG/TBC  The sim is to be continued

TAG/END  The sim has ended

TAG/END - For (insert name)   For the end of a characters scene in a sim that will continue afterward.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.