• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Poll of the Week: Captain You'd LEAST Like to Serve With?

Randal Shayne

Poll of the Week: Captain You'd LEAST Like to Serve With?   

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which famous captain would you not want as your commanding officer?

• James T. Kirk
    • Jean-Luc Picard
    • Benjamin Sisko
    • Kathryn Janeway
    • Jonathan Archer

Kirk. Picard. Sisko. Janeway. Archer. These names are familiar to even the most casual observer, and synonymous with Starfleet as a whole. Whether they were there to witness (or have a hand in!) the birth of the Federation itself, or contributed to its success hundreds of years later, each officer has left an indelible and valuable mark on the captains of tomorrow.

While the historical archives might praise these pioneers justly, it becomes apparent just how many differences existed in their personal styles of command. James Kirk, arguably the most famous captain in Federation history, was well known for his bold yet studious personality. Under his skilled leadership, the original Constitution class Enterprise completed its five year mission of exploration- an achievement not many of his fellow starship captains had lived to boast about. However, he also bore a reputation for stretching, bending, and even flat out breaking regulations and rules when it suited him. This rebellious nature, though beneficial in a variety of instances, chafed on many, and could lead to injuries.

Likewise, Benjamin Sisko, widely regarded as one of the most important captains during the Dominion War, bears great praise from historians for his actions. A patriot and a defender of what he cherished most, Sisko did not allow any to interfere with his station or his Federation unopposed. This could, on occasion, lead him into what might be considered excessive, or even ruthless behavior. One need only examine his actions when it came to eliminating the Maquis threat in the Cardassian Neutral Zone for proof of this particular personality trait.

There are pros and cons to every style of leadership, and the 5 Captains lend credence to this conclusion. That said, this week’s poll asks you to consider which of the five television captain’s you’d be least happy serving with.  Would you find Picard’s insular, isolated obsession with Shakespeare a poor match to your own tastes? Or would you prefer to avoid Archer’s (at times) entitled and naive attitude regarding the galaxy around him? Perhaps Janeway’s unpredictable, and occasionally reckless actions would inspire you to maintain your distance? Give us your vote, and let us know in the comments section below!

Edited by Randal Shayne

You're more likely to die or suffer a breakdown/injury under the short tenure of James T. Kirk than you are any one of the other captains. No thank you.

Edited by Sky Blake
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Kirk. He acted so recklessly so many times, forced regulations and has his own diplomacy book. Also, his actions led to the death of so many security officers. Serving under him wearing a red uniform was almost synonimus of death. 

• Like 4

Sorry fans, for me its Janeway.

She was too inconsistent as a character and appeared to be at odds with Chakotay at pivotal times, relieving him of duty on multiple occasions when they disagreed. Perhaps some of that was due to his inexperience as an XO too, but it's certainly not a team I would want to serve under. 

• Like 1

Controversial, I know, but Picard.

He was a great Captain, and I loved him. But thinking of serving under these Captains, he is the one I feel I would clash with the most, as would Tasha. Purely a personality thing, we would not work together very well at all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Janeway. Who wants to get lost on the far side of the galaxy and then repeatedly told EVERYONE ELSE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN MY CREW for the foreseeable future? Seriously, there were at least seven instances where she could have led the crew back home in an instant (Q, the Caretaker, wormholes) and she always was "nah, we'll do this some other way." How there wasn't a mutiny or seven I'll never understand.

Also, no opportunity for promotion...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trellis Vondaryan said:

Janeway. Who wants to get lost on the far side of the galaxy and then repeatedly told EVERYONE ELSE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN MY CREW for the foreseeable future? Seriously, there were at least seven instances where she could have led the crew back home in an instant (Q, the Caretaker, wormholes) and she always was "nah, we'll do this some other way." How there wasn't a mutiny or seven I'll never understand.

Also, no opportunity for promotion...

I see your point, but allow me to say something in her favor. She didn't decided to get lost and once there decided to uphold Federation protocols. After a few encounters with technology and entities that could bring them home, they realized that there's always a cost. They decided to not let others suffer or dissapear to get home, what gave them a stronger sense of what Starfleet represents. Maybe you'll feel better under Admiral Janeway!? 😉

• Like 1