• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Poll of the Week: Best Melee Weapon?

Randal Shayne

Poll of the Week: Best Melee Weapon?   

8 members have voted

1. 1. What was your favorite melee weapon in Star Trek?

• Klingon bat’leth
    • Klingon d’k tahg (dagger)
    • Klingon mek’leth
    • Vulcan ahn-woon
    • Vulcan lirpa
    • Andorian ushaan-tor
    • Federation KaBar Combat Knife (Seen in Voyager’s “Macrocosm”).
    • Something not mentioned here? Let us know in the comments below!

Fighting is, unfortunately, something of a constant in the Star Trek universe, as as such, different cultures and races approach the matter with unique viewpoints. Many, such as the Romulans, use classic techniques of subterfuge, confusion and shadowplay. Others, like the Klingons, prefer more upfront combat. In each instance, the weapon generally matches the strategy. And in many cases, a phaser or disruptor just won’t do.

Either for personal honor and glory, or for purely tactical reasons (energy dampening fields), many fighting forces across the galaxy utilize melee weapons to defend themselves, and, often, to attack others. These weapons are as varied and unique as the aliens that wield them. This Poll of the Week seeks to know what your favorite melee weapon is. Does the classic double handed Klingon bat’leth earn your vote, or are more a fan of the Jem’hadar’s kar’takin polearm? Perhaps you prefer something not mentioned here? Give us your vote, and let us know in the comments section below!

• Like 1

Picking one, I'd pick the mek'leth.  That said, I have complicated opinions (surprise surprise).

Based on the fact that most any melee weapon used in the Star Trek universe is most likely needed to be used on a ship, you're going to want something shorter that a full length weapon like the lirpa, and the ahn-woon would need space to be able to use properly, something a narrow corridor or a jefferies tube might not allow.  I'd want something I could carry on my that could be sheathed and out of the way 99% of the time, which limits the list down to the shorter side, daggers and knife variants.

I'm not actively interested in a blades ability stab, stabbing generally requires you to be in too close, and needs to be super precise (most epee hits in modern fencing are on the hands and forearms, if we're in a knife fight and you try to stab me in the torso, I'm going to step back out of your range and attack your arms until you can't hold your weapon).  I want something that can chop and slash.  I actually like the Andorian choice except it is way too short, and because of how you hold it, with the point being down, slashing is very hard.

In the end, I'd prefer something similar to a kukri, something good at slashing, but do to the forward weight of the blade is good for chopping as well, the mek'leth gets closest to this ideal.

So in summary, I watch too much Forged In Fire.

ETA: Also, I miss my fencing days.

~Patrick

Edited by Delan Han
forgot a line
  • Like 1