• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Trained by the best: Lael Rosek

StarBase 118 Staff

We’re here with another interview with a member of the Academy Training Team for insight on how our training works, and as recognition for all the hard work that goes into training new members each and every week of the year!

This month’s interview is with the writer behind LtCmdr Lael Rosek, playing an Al-Leyan/Human female assigned to the USS Veritas.

THORAN: Hello LtCmdr. Rosek! Can you tell us a little about yourself for the folks who may not know you?

ROSEK: Well, I’m a mom to a brilliant, funny six year old boy and a precocious, happy two year old boy, both of whom are my world. When I’m not with them, I work part time as an Assistant Preschool Teacher caring for two and three year olds. I’ve been writing with 118 on and off for 12 years. Some may remember my first PC, Rebecca Hollendale (2004-2008), a Security/Tactical officer, or my second PC, Elina Kincade (2008-2011), an Engineering officer and later a Nurse.

How did you learn about our community, and what motivated you to join us?

When I first joined back in 2004, I found 118 through a Google search. It was near the top of the results and as I looked at the website, I was really impressed by the application process, so I decided to give it a try. The rest is history.

How long ago did you join Academy Training Team, and what was it like getting started?

I joined the team last April (2016) partially to help out and partially to gain leadership experience since I was working toward Lieutenant Commander at the time. It was interesting to see behind the scenes and how the process had changed since I first joined the community in 2004. I was eager to get started. Once I’d finally completed my ghosting requirements and jumped in as a mock cadet…well, I haven’t looked back since.

What’s been your favorite part about training so far?

I enjoyed my time as a mock cadet, but I’ve really found my passion since I started serving as a First Officer and Commanding Officer for training classes. I love being an ambassador for the community, sharing the passion I have for 118 with new writers. It’s been amazing to have a cadet that I had in training be promoted and find their place within the community. I love that my passion has inspired someone else to move up the ladder.

Are you working toward command?

This shouldn’t be a surprise to those who know me, but yes. That is definitely in my future plans. I’ve had a lot of inspiration these last few years especially. The training team has played a big part in that. It’s helped me see that what makes the leaders of our community great isn’t just having their own ship and directing a story. It’s about providing other writers with a fun, open writing environment where they can grow as both writers and people. My drive to have my own ship comes in large part from giving others opportunities to push themselves and accomplish things that they never thought they could. I want to give them the same support that I’ve been given from others like Roshanara Rahman, Nugra, Brell, Renos, Keelah Rhani, and so many more.

What advice would give to those who are coming up through the ranks and headed toward the Training Team?

Though passion for the community and strong writing skills play a role in promotions, what really gets you over the bar into leadership roles is a willingness to lend a hand where it’s needed out of character. Also, they love writers who can take constructive feedback and apply it. I wholly advocate the Training Team as a way to gain the leadership skills captains and the Executive Council are looking for to determine if an individual is ready for command roles. Anyone who wants to join the Training Team shouldn’t hesitate to talk to their captain and first officer.

Thank you so much for your time — we’ll let you get back to training!

You can read more about LtCmdr. Rosek on the wiki, and learn more about joining the Academy Training Team on this page.

The post Trained by the best: Lael Rosek appeared first on UFOP: StarBase 118 Star Trek RPG.

ufopsb118?d=yIl2AUoC8zA ufopsb118?i=kdesFI2vIdg:peG8Q4f67oM:D7Dq ufopsb118?d=qj6IDK7rITs

kdesFI2vIdg

View the full article

• Like 4