• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Tarantino: yay or nay?

Gogigobo Fairhug

He is the last person on the face of this planet who should direct any Trek movie. He will totally destroy the image of Star Trek and everything it stands for. I certainly will not waste my money seeing anything he directs.

• Like 2

Uhhhh . . . nay. Discovery rides the line along "oh that's a cool addition thanks to MA rating" and "we really did not need to see that" - and Tarantino has a habit of . . . breaking that line all together. I don't need a hard R Star Trek. I don't even need an MA Star Trek Discovery.

If he wants to do a Star Trek film ala First Contact, then sure. Otherwise . . . yeah, no.

• Like 1

I've got to say, I totally agree. I like a lot of Tarantino's films, but to me his style doesn't belong anywhere near a Star Trek movie.

• Like 1

No. No, no, no, no, no.

Discovery is already pushing some of my buttons for being too "flashy." Not to mention some of the designs and technology in it. 

Anything Tarantino would make that look tame.

• Like 1

I'd have the same attitude that I had watching the recent reboot movies. I wouldn't be super excited, but I'd still probably go see it. No matter how bad it was, Insurrection and The Final Frontier would (probably) still be worse. 

Related:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That video is great! Especially the voice over and the "you're out of your ******* mind, Spock" bit! 😂😂😂

Does anyone think there's a chance Tarantino would adapt his style to make it more palatable to Trek fans? 

I like a lot of Tarantino films, but my instinctive reaction to him doing a Star Trek film is to grimace at the pairing.

There is some small hope, as he seems to be a big fan of Star Trek but I honestly can't see him adjusting his style too much. He did two episodes of CSI about ten years ago and from what I understand they were good but very much in his style.

I'll hope for the best but prepare for the worse.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2018 at 7:45 AM, Gogigobo Fairhug said:

Does anyone think there's a chance Tarantino would adapt his style to make it more palatable to Trek fans? 

Interesting question – I think the answer is no, but maybe he'll surprise me? I feel like Tarantino is one of those directors whose whole brand is around breaking conventions with his "unique" style, as opposed to someone like Spielberg who might have a few tricks here and there that he's known for, but generally just makes "action and adventure" movies. So I feel like he's going to take the stance that the reason he was hired was to make something like he makes things, which is just going to be ... ugh. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Quentin does have his own style, but it should be interesting as to what he is going to come up with. At the end of the day, if Star Trek had not been done for the first time in 1965 and was starting out for the first time, most likely it would be sexier, grittier, more gruesome. It's all about the eyes on the product, with Rodenberrys' vision second.

• Like 1

On 28/2/2018 at 6:42 PM, Evan Delano said:

I'd have the same attitude that I had watching the recent reboot movies. I wouldn't be super excited, but I'd still probably go see it. No matter how bad it was, Insurrection and The Final Frontier would (probably) still be worse.

I think this is basically my attitude toward the whole thing. And I haven't personally seen anything from Tarantino, so I can't give my opinions on him, but if you asked me if I would want another reboot I would say no thanks. We don't need another flashy star trek film. But still, I'll just hope for the best. 

10 minutes ago, Hannibal Parker said:

Quentin does have his own style, but it should be interesting as to what he is going to come up with. At the end of the day, if Star Trek had not been done for the first time in 1965 and was starting out for the first time, most likely it would be sexier, grittier, more gruesome. It's all about the eyes on the product, with Rodenberrys' vision second.

I agree with this as well, but I don't want just another senseless sci-fi film with no meaning and only becomes popular because of its violence like it's trending these days. If however, those elements you mention can be added without losing Roddenberry's vision, I would find the balance very appealing (like Discovery is trying to find its footing with this balance), but since it's very difficult to nail that, I don't think I would like the end result of the attempt. I don't even know if they intend to try and nail it from the start, and that's my main concern.