• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Poll of the Week: Discovering "Discovery"

Randal Shayne

Poll of the Week: Discovering "Discovery"  

30 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about "Star Trek: Discovery"?

• I love Discovery! It’s the best Star Trek out there.
    • I really enjoy Discovery- it’s an excellent show.
    • I like the story and the concept, but the execution is somewhat lacking.
    • I like the characters, but the setting is not as desireable.
    • I find Discovery sort of “meh.” Take it or leave it.
    • I’m not a fan of Discovery- it’s just not my kind of television.
    • I really dislike Discovery, and where it’s going.
    • Something else? Let us know below!

There seems to be no escaping “Star Trek: Discovery.”

It’s almost impossible to avoid discussion regarding the show on the Internet. For a program  within a universe as large and popular as Star Trek’s, this is not surprising. And, just as with every other addition to the universe of our beloved franchise, “Discovery” seems to be a flashpoint for debates and arguments, ranging from its quality, to its premise, right down to its acceptability as canon. It is no secret that Kurtzman (among others) has created a darker tone, and this distinction from other series’, along with differences in visuals and events that are difficult to explain away or ignore, has created a divide between fans.

With its first season concluded, I thought this would be a good time to reflect on “Discovery”, and see what the SB118 community thought of it. So...what do you think? Do you enjoy it? Would you agree that it is a quality program, and/or a worthy continuation of the franchise? Or are you not quite so enthused, for whatever reason? Give us your vote, and if you’re feeling generous, let us know the reasoning behind your opinion!

Every incarnation of the Star Trek story since DS9 has been an "reimaginging", not staying true to what has already been established. Klingons eating humans? Really? Ships seemingly more advanced than the not yet on screen but mentioned Constitution Class? The series is darker, which to me is not the problem. DS9 was darker, but it stayed true to what preceded it, and added to it. Discovery does not add, just as the new movies did not add to the existing established canon. They could have done so much better.

• Like 4

I'm going to quickly pop my head over the parapet, throw some words out, before beating a hasty retreat. 

I enjoyed the show, especially some of the more darker aspects. I will admit that i've not seen a whole lot of Star Trek (half a dozen ToS episodes and a few of the movies, everything TNG, parts of Voyager and all of DS9). Did it feel like Star Trek to me, in places no. But most TV shows take a little time to find their footing, I mean we've still got another six episodes left of the season so who knows where they will take it.

• Like 2

"I hear people talking about it all the time: the good, the bad, the middle ground. But what's Discovery? I don't have CBS Access."

On 12/27/2017 at 6:09 PM, Harper Lyndsay said:

I haven't seen it yet as I've been avoiding CBS's Access streaming thing.

Same with me as it seems to be a trend and I refuse to pay for a service so that I have access to one show that I'm interested in.
So haven't seen it yet -- though I want to of course.