• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Lower Decks interview: Lt. Jarred Thoran, Andaris TF

StarBase 118 Staff

We’re here with another interview with a newer member of our community. The title of this column is “Lower Decks,” hearkening back to the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode titled “Lower Decks,” in which junior officers aboard the Enterprise-D speculate on the reasons for recent unusual actions taken by the command crew near the Cardassian border.

This month’s interview is with the writer behind Lt. Jarred Thoran playing a human male assigned to the Andaris Task Force.

WOLF: Tell us a little about the writer behind the character — where in the world do you hail from?

THORAN: Originally from the UK, but last summer my partner and I decided to move to a tiny village in rural Germany. If i’d of known at the time how difficult it would be to get english chocolate I may have had second thoughts. I while away my days cycling, doing up the house and attempting to learn the language.

Were you a Star Trek fan before joining UFOP: StarBase 118? If so, what were your favorite shows and/or movies?

I was indeed. I’ve been on the periphery of the fandom for many years, having only really seen The Next Generation series and movies. Back in school a close friend of mine was a massive Star Trek fan and that is where it first caught my interest, including playing some of the games such as Birth of the Federation, Armada and Bridge Commander. Although it hasn’t been until the last few years where i’ve caught up with DS9 and TOS movies. I’d have to say, TNG season three onwards is my favourite out of everything.

What duty post are you playing, and how’d you choose it?

I’m currently in security. It’s a role that’s not really been explored on screen, which I think gives you a degree of flexibility and variety that you may not necessarily get with other duty posts. Thoran has an analytical mind and isn’t very keen on violence, preferring to resolve a situation through diplomacy and negotiation than phasers.

What’s been your favorite part of being with the community so far?

It’s really hard to choose, but if I had to pick one thing, it would have to be that is a community. I’ve only been here for six months, but have already met many wonderful people from around the world, all of whom have been incredibly welcoming and understanding.

In addition to that, there is so much to do OOC. Enjoy creating graphics – there’s a taskforce for that. Aspiring journalist – there’s a taskforce for that. Interested in expanding our reach – there’s a taskforce for that.

Do you take any inspiration from films, television, or books when writing your character?

I mostly certainly do, whether I know it or not. I’ve always been a huge sci-fi and fantasy fan, so I think parts of that creep in. Recently i’ve been watching Voyager and some TNG to get a feel for scene setting and life on a starship.

It’s not always sci-fi that inspires me though. For example, i’m a huge fan of the age of sail, with a series of books called the Bolitho novels being one of my all time favourite book series. I love them so much, i’ve even had of one Thoran’s hobbies based around them, via a holodeck adventure, which a couple of the crew have indulged in with me.

Looking back on your experience so far, what would be one piece of advice you’d give to anyone who’s just joined?

Communication is key. There are many avenues available, with Discord, the forums and the OOC lists. It feels more alive and fun when people are engaging OOC, not only will you make friends, but can also be a great way to bounce around ideas.

Finally, never be afraid to ask questions. We all have times when we not sure, or we need guidance/direction and in my experience everyone here is extremely helpful and supportive. There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Thanks for your time, Lt. Thoran!

You can read more about Lt. Thoran on the wiki.

The post Lower Decks interview: Lt. Jarred Thoran, Andaris TF appeared first on UFOP: StarBase 118 Star Trek RPG.

ufopsb118?d=yIl2AUoC8zA ufopsb118?i=98uQaYrp_bM:K5xZ58YnRLY:D7Dq ufopsb118?d=qj6IDK7rITs
98uQaYrp_bM

View the full article

• Like 1