• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Gogigobo Fairhug

Artistic Licence?

Hi everyone!

So I'm completely new to simming and am playing a Bardeezan Cadet called Gogigobo Fairhug in training right now.

I was just wondering how much artistic licence we have over species on which there isn't much background info?

For example, can I make up sports they play on their home world? Festivals? Even words from their language? Species of indigenous animals?

Looking forward to your replies

Hugs and kisses.

James (Gogi)

Hi James, 

Use what's on our wiki, or Memory-Alpha as a guide. If there's no information, yes you're welcome to make up those kinds of details about a species. Just keep in mind that not all species have a "monoculture." Just because we've seen some members of a species onscreen (or heard one or two snippets about them from a computer database) doesn't mean that the information applies to everyone. So an important festival in one country might not necessarily be even known elsewhere, much like Thanksgiving is an American-holiday. (Other countries have their own versions, of course, but the history and food is unique.)

For example, with my character Captain Malcolm Lysander, I chose the Leyron species – whose only claim to fame was having a written language before a spoken language – and created lots of backstory on how their society functioned so that I could tell a more interesting story.

If something is simmed on your ship, and not "disputed" by your CO or anyone else because it doesn't seem too outlandish or out of character for the species, you can probably end up adding it to the wiki if it applies to everyone of that species. We try not to add things to species wiki pages that only reflect one character's information. And we try and make sure everything we add to a species page has a link to a sim if it's new information – helps us keep track of where it came from.

As always, your CO is the best person to talk to if you need guidance on specifics. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the fantastically thorough and informative reply.

I will bare all of that in mind. The "monoculture" comment is a particularly good point.

Luckily, there's enough info on the Bardeezans for me to get a good feel for them as a species, but there's still plenty to add. I don't have anything specific in mind at the moment, but I'm hoping my character has a long career in Starfleet so hopefully there should be plenty of opportunity to flesh out his culture in the future. :-)

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.