• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Feeding love

Valdivia

Feeding love  

12 members have voted

1. 1. A human is willing to carry on an alien marriage ceremony that will end with his death, but his parents want you to prevent it. What will you do?

• Allow them to carry on with the wedding
    • Demand that they stop the wedding, but not enforce it risking a diplomatic incident
    • Forcefully remove the groom to stop the wedding
    • Another option (let us know!)

You are the captain of a starship, and you are called for an urgent diplomatic intervention. You go to the home planet of the Mantisar (fictitious species created for this exercise, do not look them up). They are not members of the Federation, but they are allies. In this case, a human couple in their sixties has called for your intervention.

Once you arrive at the planet, the humans explain the situation. Their son Marcus has fallen in love with a Mantisar female. They had been together for years now. The problem is they have now decided to get married. And, in the insectoid culture of the Mantisar, they wedding night celebration ends with the male being eaten by the female. It is their tradition, and Marcus has agreed to on with the ceremony.

However, Marcus’ parents hope you can use your authority to prevent it from happening and bring their son back to safety. The wedding is that same day, so there is no option to get a new diplomat and brief them on time. It is your decision.

Will you try to avoid the wedding? How forcefully? Let us know!

This is a new question from our category Morals of Trek, where you are in the shoes of a Starfleet Captain facing a dilemma any of our favorite characters could have faced in Star Trek. If your crew has faced any such dilemmas and you want to see it featured in a Poll of the Week, let us know!

• Like 1

I'm pretty open minded, but I think cultural acceptance has to have a few hard limits.  Ritualistic murder and cannibalism (sort of) is one those limits for me.

• Like 1

I mean, if the guy's agreed to it with full knowledge and acceptance of what's going to happen....I dunno. It's his life. If he's gonna choose to end it that way that's sort of his choice, ultimately. 

Given the situation outlined though, I think I'd opt to have him step away from the situation for long enough that he has time to think it over - separately from his fiance. If he still wants to do it after that, well, godspeed. 

• Like 2

This is a bit of a sticky situation and not just because there is a life at stake. The question I am asking myself though is, who are these parents to request an intervention in the first place. On top of that, since we are not talking about a federation world then elements of the prime directive are still in effect. Specifically the species right to self governance. Simply put I can't see why I would go to this planet to even investigate, however since I am on this planet in the scenario then I guess it would be worth talking to the would be groom.

But unless the groom made a compelling plea for help I wouldn't interfere further, its not my place, I have no reason to. I might not agree with all religions or cultural traditions but was raised to respect them all the same. This also being a guiding principle of starfleet: accepting cultural differences. 

Obviously ritualised murder and canabalism aren't acceptable in the Federation, but this is not a Federation world. I would ask time to have the groom undergo a psychiatric assessment whilst away from his fiancé to confirm that a) he is mentally sound and competent to make the decision and B) he's not being coerced by her into doing it. If he proves mentally competent and free from coercion and he's still sure this is what he wants, then he has the right to make that choice.

It's the old succubus conundrum. One night of pleasure, but it's your last night alive.

• Like 1