• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Trained by the best: Nikki Ryan

StarBase 118 Staff

Each month we interview a member of the Academy Training Team for insight on how our training works, and as recognition for all the hard work that goes into training new members each and every week of the year!

This month, we’re sitting down with Nikki Ryan, a Lieutenant playing the CMO of the Veritas.

WOLF: Hello LtCmdr. Ryan! Can you tell us a little about yourself for the folks who may not know you?

RYAN: First, thank you for having me here. I think most members of the Fleet know me as Rune Jolara but I’ve recently made a switch to playing Dr. Nikki Ryan. In real life, I’m a professional visual artist and freelance graphic designer working towards becoming a front end web developer. I’ve loved Star Trek and anything sci-fi since the beginning of time. I’m also (slowly, very slowly) working on a sci-fi/supernatural novel.

You’ve been with the community for a long time! Do you remember how you found us, and what motivated you to join?

Yes, a very long time indeed. A friend originally introduced me to the group way back in 2005. I needed to take an extended LOA. I came back a couple of other times but each time RL happened. Then in 2012, I came back to stay. My motivation was simple, this group combined two things I loved the most, writing and Star Trek. As a bonus, I’ve met some pretty incredible people and made some lasting friendships… really they’re like a second family. I wouldn’t trade my time here for the world.

What’s been your favorite part about training so far?

It’s hard to really say what my favorite part is. One is getting to work with and sim with members from other ships. Teamwork is such an important part of making us successful and the training program is a good reminder of that. Another big favorite is, the chance to give potential new members their first glimpse of our corner of the universe.

How do you approach the role of CO of a training class – what’s going through your head as you’re simming?

I think one of the most prominent things going through my head is, am I making the class interesting and fun while still teaching the cadets what they need to know about how our game works?

What advice would give to those who are coming up through the ranks and headed toward the Training Team?

Don’t look at it as a required step in advancing. It’s your chance to work with other members of our group and help guide new members in their first step to becoming active and productive officers in our fleet.

Have you used any techniques you learned as a member of the Training Team in your real life?

Of course. One of the most important being patience. You can’t always predict or know how things will go. Sometimes they don’t go the way you hoped but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s bad. Sometimes you just have to take a deep breath and go with the flow.

Thank you so much for your time — we’ll let you get back to training!

You can read more about Lt. Ryan on the wiki, and learn more about joining the Academy Training Team on this page.

The post Trained by the best: Nikki Ryan appeared first on UFOP: StarBase 118 Star Trek RPG.

ufopsb118?d=yIl2AUoC8zA ufopsb118?i=PKDySacJbhw:_xzTC9_NjvM:D7Dq ufopsb118?d=qj6IDK7rITs
PKDySacJbhw

View the full article

• Like 1