• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Cpt Jalana Rajel & PNPC Cmdr Sundassa Faranster - Catching Up

Dizmim ChNilmani

(( Sundassa's Quarters, Deck 5, USS Doyle-A // Jalana's Quarters, Deck 2, USS Constitution-B))

:: Ever since she heard about Shel's predicament, Sun opted to stay on the Doyle to be there as support. Especially as their parents were currently on the Athena with Selene. It made it difficult to endure running into them in the corridors as they were either talking about Selene's wedding or Shelther's child. ::

:: Shel had requested some time to himself, so she retired to her quarters and decided that she needed to talk to her friend. It was going to be a very long distance call, but it was one that she needed to make. Moving over to her desk and opening the comms program on the console, she requested an outside line to the USS Constitution, specifically to Captain Jalana Rajel. ::

:: After waiting for what seemed like forever, the bright red hair of her best friend appeared on the screen, and she couldn't help but smile. ::

Faranster: Jalana! It's really great to see you!

:: Jalana had spent the whole day with Jerry and it had helped her to cover the anger and sadness from earlier with making new memories and laughter. He had that effect on her and so now as she took the call and saw the familiar lilac hair of her best friend, the smile had returned to the face of the Trill. Without hesitating she reached out and touched the screen. ::

Rajel: Sun! It really is. I have missed you.

Faranster: How are things on the Conny?

Rajel: Good. We are on shore leave right now and recover from peace talks, that went a little haywire. Did I tell you already, that we were moved to the Marshlands?

Faranster: I think it might have been in the works when I left, I don't remember. There's been so much going on some of it's been getting a bit jumbled. Tell me about it anyway.

Rajel: ::leaning back:: At some point in time it was the most south area of the Federation. Of course that's changed, but we are right between the Klingons and the Tholians and believe me that buffer between them isn't a piece of cake either.

:: The area of space that Sun’s friend was talking about was quite a bit further galactic south than her home sector. The star maps she’s seen had made that area appear vast, but that could be perspective, and it sounded as though the space between was contested. ::

Faranster: Sounds like a move equivalent to the fiery pits of hell.

:: Sun was partially glad she didn’t have to endure that, but she did miss her friends. ::

Rajel: ::laughing:: Well, we have survived. Though Sarah, my former First Officer, is still in medical recovery. We all hope that she'll get better. How is it on the ::pause.:: Why are you calling from the Doyle? I thought you went to visit Selene?

Faranster: Oh. Shel brought my parents to the Athena, and is still stationed in the area. He’s going through some things, and so while our parents are on the Athena helping Selene plan the wedding, I am on the Doyle helping him cope.

:: Wait what? She stared at her best friend like she had just grown a second head. Why was that the first she heard about it? And what was that about Shel? ::

Rajel: Wait, wait, wait. What? You can’t mention these just by the way. That is big.

Faranster: Which do you want to hear about first then?

:: Sun laughed a little, realizing this was the first time she had talked to Jalana in a couple months and a lot had happened since the last time. That was part of the reason she had contacted her, but in her excitement, she blurted things out as if her friend was in the know. ::

Rajel: Duh, the wedding of course! Please tell me it’s that Doctor who was able to hold himself against her.

Faranster: Doctor Bishop, the Chief of Medical?

Rajel: Yes that one. I met him briefly. So it is him?

Faranster: Yep, they’ve been engaged for a bit.

:: Sun knew it had been possibly a year since the engagement. The fact that Jalana didn’t know, actually confused her a little. That meant that Selene hadn’t talked about it, which might have been due to the fact that they hadn’t set a date and then got caught up with a bad mission or two and then the move to the Gamma Quadrant. ::

Rajel: That is awesome news. When, where, what? And why haven’t I heard about that before?

Faranster: They got engaged in April last year, at a ball held on 285. But there was a couple incidents that caused Selene to back out of it until the proposal wouldn’t be marred by bad memories… her words not mine.

:: First Jalana wanted to know why Selene kept this from her for over a year, but then something else caught her attention, that actually might explain the first question in her mind. ::

Rajel: Incidents?

Faranster: Someone got drugged, and the suspect was killed. She had to clean up the mess after. I didn’t get too many details. But then she made up for it with her counter-proposal, or whatever she wants to call it. Reclaiming the moment in front of my parents. When Selene and Alex didn’t schedule a date, our parents came to… encourage end result of an engagement.

Rajel: ::That still meant it had been a while without a word. But then Selene was pretty much used to Jalana being dead in Selene’s original timeline, maybe she had just forgotten. :: Sounds like a big family outing.

Faranster: That’s kinda where Shel’s trouble came in. Something about the trip got to him, and he ended up drinking a special serum that Selene was planning on testing. And he drank way too much, blacking out that night.

Rajel: There are way too many questions about that statement. But just blacking out does not cause trouble. What did he do in that time?

Faranster: Our families are going to get really complicated. Somehow Kaitlyn Bishop, Alex’s younger sister, ended up pregnant by Shel. :: She paused for a moment. :: Okay, I know how that works, we’re both doctors, it’s not hard to put two and two together, BUT it’s not supposed to be possible.

Rajel: ::Jaw, meet floor.:: Wow that is a heck of a black out. ::She thought about that and remembered quite vividly that because of the Antosian blood chemistry it was pretty much impossible to cross breed.:: Is that one of the effects of the serum Selene wanted to test?

:: Sun remembered vaguely a conversation between Jalana and her a few years ago, back when Jalana was Chief Medical Officer and Sun was just a new medical officer. They discussed her species and the issues with blood chemistry. ::

(( Flashback 239001.20 - Sickbay, USS Apollo ))

Laxyn: Did your doctors ever try to see if the protective features of your blood can be used to help other species?

Faranster: :: She smiled at Jalana. :: I read that they had tried, but that the results weren't favorable. Something about our blood thinking the foreign blood was a hostile infection, they said the results were quite brutal, but they didn't provide us with the opportunity to try that experiment. They are talking about trying to find a way to minimize the response of our blood, to make it less aggressive, but critics say that would weaken our race. However, some scientists think they developed something that would make the white blood cells more docile, the results of which are temporary which is why it wasn't the research isn't fully stonewalled.

Laxyn: ::Jalana leaned against the work table and listened intently, nodding slightly to herself.:: It is understandable that some scientists think that. If you make the blood less aggressive the chance to be infected is higher, since the aggressive blood helps fight viruses and bacterias. But it would also be able that when they are able to control the aggressive factor that it could help against illnesses that we have not yet found a cure for. Wouldn't the gain be reason to risk it?

Faranster: The thought is that if there is a chemical or medicine that can weaken our immune systems, that an enemy can use it to wipe out our people. The thought is pretty scary. But part of the reasoning people are pushing for this research is because since the introduction of the Federation into our world, Antosians have fallen in love with other species. However, every time a female Antosian tries to have a child with another species, the body rejects it and destroys the embryo, leaving the mother devastated. :: She frowned, and sighed. :: Some of the men seem to have easier times, but the only reports of successful pregnancy come from the baby being born alive, most with deformities presumably caused by the sperm being overly aggressive when trying to penetrate the egg, damaging it.

Laxyn: ::raising her brows:: That is not a good sign. And I am sure that the interspecies couples also would like to be able to have their own children, not just to adopt. ::thinking for a moment, she wondered which possibilities there were, the researcher in her got more and more curious.:: Do Antosian doctors have any idea on how to solve the problem and make conception and the successful birth possible?

Faranster: The solution our scientists are trying to work on, to make both sides happy, is a medicine that has to be taken daily to prevent our body from being overtly hostile. If successful, they would have a the Antosian taking the medicine for 3 months prior to conception, and the entirety of their pregnancy. :: She smiled brightly. :: It is hoped that babies born successfully to those with this treatment, have blood that is just as aggressive as ours, but registers both the dna of the Antosian, and the other parent's species as non-threatening, and these children could possibly be the backbone for future cures and vaccinations research.

Laxyn: Oh that sounds fantastic. A great step into the right direction. And I have no doubt, that potential parents do not mind the year of taking the drug if that means that they can have children on their own. And that also means that Antosians will develop new features with hybrids. For example Betazoid Antosians would have the chance to become empaths, or other species could give their genes into the pool as well. It can be very beneficial.

(( END Flashback ))

Faranster: The blacking out was actually the effects of the alcohol... you know how you aren't supposed to mix alcohol with certain medications? He did, unknowingly... But, you remembered our conversation? Years ago when I was telling you that our people were working on a solution to our ability to cross reproduce? I think she brought back something...

Rajel: We worked together long enough for me to have checked on Antosian biology to remember that. ::Smirking:: Does Kaitlyn have any problems in that pregnancy or are things going well? And what does she think of it?

Faranster: Not yet, Selene is keeping a close eye on her, and giving her some of the juice every day to keep the Antosian genetics from causing trouble. It's taking some monitoring, and it's not exactly the way she was hoping this to go.

Rajel: If Shel got into trouble I have to assume she isn’t happy about that. Let alone the whole thing happening and he doesn't remember a thing and it being family... Oh so many problems.

Faranster: More than that, Selene is concerned about her role in these trials. She was hoping to be a volunteer to Dr Tamodin's trials. But now she is going to have to give him her data regarding Kaitlyn, or keep it to herself.

Rajel: ::pulling her brows together.:: Why would she keep it for herself?

Faranster: It's just the timeline jump mostly. And then there's other complications... Alex asked Kaitlyn to be his best man, and her due date will be after the wedding. Imagine that... an extremely pregnant best man. :: Sun laughed a little, at least fittings weren't as big an issue, they would just have to find something to compliment the woman that fits in with the theme. :: Oh... that reminds me. You remember me asking right?

Rajel: ::The change of subject made her grin.:: Why of course I remember. It’s not every day that I’m asked to be the maid of honor. Speaking of which, who is Selene’s?

Faranster: I don't think there's anyone here she would want more than you. We are mostly the same, except she's a lot more... intense about things. Anyway, I'm sure she would want you here, if you would want to be, that is.

Rajel: Really? Are you sure?

Faranster: Of course. Would you?

Rajel: Oh I would love to. I am a little bit far away though, but…

Faranster: I'm sure we could find a way. Holo-projection maybe? They have holo emitters through the ship, maybe we could jerry rig a conference that allows you to move around the same way the EMH does...

Rajel: ::grinning:: You’re reading my mind. That shouldn’t be a problem, I’ve tested that a few times and it worked splendidly. When exactly is it?

Faranster: August, 6th.

:: Sun knew the date that Selene, Alex and their parents agreed upon. It was coming up soon, and her parents were on overdrive trying to make sure that it would work. They had asked Selene to use her contacts with the Dryary people to find a planet that had a nice location for the wedding, especially since Selene had wanted a wedding near water before. That would make the holoproject harder, but she was sure she could work with engineering to figure something out. ::

Rajel: I’ll make sure that it works out. ::Leaning slightly forward she lowered her voice as if someone else could be listening in.:: You think you can keep it a secret? I’d love to surprise her.

Faranster: Oh, that would make it so much more interesting. That shouldn't be too hard.

Rajel: Fantastic. ::She grinned and clapped her hands excitedly::

Faranster: I can get you all the information necessary, the dresses she chooses, and when the ceremony will be.

Rajel: Wonderful, thank you. I can’t wait to see you all again.

Faranster: It'll be fun, that's for sure. Haven't been to a good party with all the people I care about in too long a time.

Rajel: ::tilting her head:: The only thing we did not talk about is how YOU are.

Faranster: Me?

Rajel: ::grinning:: Well Selene might be somewhat you, you are not her. So how are you? What has happened in your life?

:: Her eyes scrunched a little as she thought about what Jalana said. Had they not spoken about her? As she thought about the conversation more, she wondered why she felt more like a background character in her own life. More interested in the going ons of others than those of her own. ::

Faranster: Not much... not sure if that's fortunate or not. Before I left I had been seeing Alexander Williams, but then he was also transferred, and I've heard he's involved with someone on his new ship.

Rajel: ::She nodded, she remembered them seeing each other and had wondered how that had worked out with his transfer to the Za.:: So the long distance thing was a bust?

Faranster: I didn't expect the long distance thing to work out actually, I suppose us both going in different directions was our way of ending things amicably without any hard feelings before we could explore things any further. It's probably for the best, after the engagement, I am not sure I want to be in a relationship with another officer.

:: Sun twisted her lips a little after she said the last words. She was starting to get used to being alone, not looking for something that would only end up hurting her afterwards. If it happened, it would have to blind-side her now, because it wasn't her focus. ::

:: The engagement. Jalana remembered as if it had been yesterday how happy Sun had been with Jaxx, how excited she’d been when she told Jal about their engagement. And suddenly it was over, he had left to search for his children. Jalana was not sure any more what had happened to them, but from one to the other day Jaxx had left the Apollo and Sun. It had crushed her friend.::

Rajel: I can’t blame you. It’s can be difficult. ::pause:: Did you hear from him?

Faranster: He hasn't contacted me... it's been over two years and not a word. What about you, you haven't heard from him have you?

Rajel: Nothing, sorry.

Faranster: I don't know why I am even hoping for any communication.

:: Sun had loved Jaxx, and even though he chose his job over her, she still cared. But she was trying to move on. It was possible he was just giving her space and there was so much radio silence. Or maybe he was just more detached than she thought he was. ::

Faranster: I don't think I'll get it directly from him, but if you get any word, would you make sure it's relayed? I still think about him.

Rajel: If I do, you’ll be the first to know.

Faranster: Thank you.

:: Jalana tried to hide a yawn and rubbed over her face and offered Sun an apologetic smile. ::

Faranster: You alright?

Rajel: Sorry, I’m just a little tired.

Faranster: Then you should get some sleep. I know how tiring the center chair can be. While it's tiring, it suits you.

Rajel: ::smiling warmly:: Thank you. It won’t be long until we see each other again. I’m really looking forward to it.

Faranster: Me too, and the look on Selene's face when you show up. It should be priceless!

:: Sun smiled at her friend, excited for something in the future. Now she just needed to get on the planning committee of Selene's wedding, especially so she could make sure she made enough room for Jalana without making her planned appearance known. ::

Faranster: You go, we'll talk later.

Rajel: We will. Good night, Sun.

:: Jalana blew a kiss to her best friend and closed the line with the press of a key. She was looking forward to see her and Selene again, it had been way too long. And with a mix of tiredness and excitement she peeled herself off the chair, stretched and dragged herself into the bedroom. After a great day like that, she’d sleep like a baby. ::

-----

JP by

PNPC Commander Sundassa Faranster

as written by:

Captain Selene Faranfey

Commanding Officer

USS Athena, NCC-97780

A239001SF0

&

Captain Jalana Rajel

Commanding Officer

USS Constitution B

Image Team Facilitator

A238906JL0

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.