• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Holo'd Halls

Randal Shayne

Holo'd Halls.   

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which Instance of Holography Did You Enjoy The Most?

• Using Holographic Decoy Ships
    • Holographic Doctor
    • Professor Moriarty's Awakening
    • Training Simulations (such as for the promotion to commander)
    • A Recreational Program? Tell Us Which One?
    • Other?

It has become one of the most universally recognized staples of Star Trek. It has been the solution to, and cause of, many problems face by the crews of the Enterprise-D, Voyager, and Deep Space 9. I am, of course referring to the holodeck. Who wouldn't want a room that could literally change its settings and content to an unlimited number of perameters in the blink of an eye. Within that commonness, however, stands brilliant examples of creative uses, and accidents, where the holodeck, and holographic technology as a whole, was involved. From the holographic decoys used by Voyager to escape the Kazon, to the creation of a whole new form of medical instrument and sentient life (namely the Doctor), to the inadvertent rise of a sentient Professor Moriarty, holodeck technology has provided fantastic story material. This week's poll asks you to choose which one stood out to you the most. 

There have been many wonderful uses of this technology though I voted for holographic doctors. Not necessarily because we specifically need so many doctors but rather because the technology could create so many other in demand positions. If you can't have robots, the least you can have is holograms, right? :)

I've always felt that the Federation holo-communicator used in DS9 exactly twice was such a missed opportunity! Every Starfleet officer can't have (or may not want to have, depending on the mission) any of their family or non-Starfleet close friends aboard their ship with them. It is of course important to bond with your crewmates, but Starfleet has always seemed to be very understanding of the fact that people appreciate being allowed to maintain relationships with those they knew before joining Starfleet, even allowing civilian families on the Starfleet flagship. It is possible to accidentally create a hologram on a holodeck that takes on a life of its own, so why should people in the 24th century be forced to settle for the closest they get to seeing their families while away on assignment be a computer monitor? It's such a shame they cut the device after only a few episodes! I know they did it for production reasons, but it would still be nice for Starfleet ships to have.

3 minutes ago, Anath G'Renn said:

I've always felt that the Federation holo-communicator used in DS9 exactly twice was such a missed opportunity! Every Starfleet officer can't have (or may not want to have, depending on the mission) any of their family or non-Starfleet close friends aboard their ship with them. It is of course important to bond with your crewmates, but Starfleet has always seemed to be very understanding of the fact that people appreciate being allowed to maintain relationships with those they knew before joining Starfleet, even allowing civilian families on the Starfleet flagship. It is possible to accidentally create a hologram on a holodeck that takes on a life of its own, so why should people in the 24th century be forced to settle for the closest they get to seeing their families while away on assignment be a computer monitor? It's such a shame they cut the device after only a few episodes! I know they did it for production reasons, but it would still be nice for Starfleet ships to have.

You know, I kind of disagree with this. Bonding with family and the like is important but what you really have to think of is that this technology is really impractical. I mean in the sense that transmitting a hologram across space is incredibly complex particularly at longer distances. The more efficient solution is transmitting videos to and from. And what you would gain by having that hologram is of marginal benefit really.

Cory recreated the Battle of Sharpsburg and participated as a Brigade Commander.  Being a historian, this was something that he wanted to see up close.

• 6 months later...