• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Simming pets

Valdivia

Simming pets  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do your characters had pets? Or, if they had, what kind of pets would they be?

• No pets for my character.
    • Pets like the ones we are used to. Dogs, cats, or other animals that can be found on Earth.
    • Animals from different planets, exotic and alien.
    • Different kind of creatures. Small machines, maybe?
    • Other? Let us know!

If we ask about pets and Star Trek, most will automatically get an image of Spot in their minds. The fact our favourite characters had time or space for pets, and the fact that it was precisely Data the one who had a cat gave us an unique insight into the character.

Similarly, our very own characters in Starbase 118 have their own opportunities to have pets. Not just that, they have a huge ammount of possibilities. Why limit yourelf to pets we have here? They can have alien pets. Or even animals that would not usually be considered pets. Or maybe they don’t even need to be animals at all. Or organic, or even alive, for that matter.

So, do your characters have any kind of pets? Would you like them to? Even consider it?

This is a new post in our category Simming Questions. Here we will be asking questions about our community, our characters and our writing, and how you interact with it all.

Ayiana has a Trill fenza bird. They are similar in appearance to Earth phoenixes. I haven't simmed from it's point of view, however.

Sevo's_fenza_bird.jpeg

Edited by Ayiana

I generally play with the 'no pets' rule for my characters because in my background I'm used to playing stricter more military based games.

(Oh yeah, and then there was one ship I played on in the 90's where the CO's significant other had a telepathic rainbow colored alien panther, and no matter how much the other players complained, the CO allowed it...)  That soured me on the idea of pets.

That said, both my characters ended up with a pet.  Sal ended up with a hairless tribble which stays in a terrarium as a memento of the great tribble catastrophe of 2393 and Wyn collects mementos from all the medical officers he used to serve with and he ended up with one of Liani's pets as his own.  Both are fairly low key, contained pets which is nice - because when I forget about them it doesn't seem ignorant or cruel :)

• Like 1

Taelon keeps....well, robots, I guess, but I think he bonds to all his robots big or small - so he'd consider things from small Robo-puppies to an AT-AT walker as his 'pet'. I don't think he's really able to keep a living pet at the moment, seeing that he spends very little time in his quarters. 

Ruwon likes animals but doesn't keep any. His daughter Ditala keeps bugs, however, and currently is raising stag beetles for a school project. If Ruwon had to choose he'd probably like a cat the most, but wouldn't be so keen to get the hair off his uniforms.....

• 2 weeks later...

Saveron keeps a white, fluffy Tribble that his PhD supervisor gave him.

The idea of a Vulcan with such an impractical pet amuses me. 

Apropos of nothing, you can make great pictures of tribbles by photoshopping two guinea-pig butts together. 

Edited by Saveron
  • Like 1

I get a little bit eye-rolly with RP characters who somehow manage to keep a long list of the player's wish-fulfilment pets regardless of living situation or practicality; luckily I haven't seen any of that in this fleet :)

Neither of my characters have pets and, as much as I love cats, I can't see either of them really being "cat people". At best, I can see T'Reshik keeping a bacterial colony in a petri dish somewhere on her desk, or some kind of toxic microscopic organism. Or a sealed tank full of phosphorescent-dyed bacteria spreading over the inside of the glass. Hmm, that's actually a pretty cool idea...

• Like 2