• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Lifechanging experiences for our characters

Valdivia

Lifechanging experiences for our characters  

13 members have voted

1. 1. How much planification and control do you have when working on major changes for your characters?

• I plan in advance what the changes will entail and how they will affect them.
    • I plan what the changes will entail in a direct manner, but then work on how they affect them personally as I feel it.
    • I don’t plan them, working on them as they come without preconceived ideas.
    • I have not/don’t intend to effect any such major changes
    • Other (do tell us in the forums)

Some life experiences, in our real life, are definitely life changing. It could be argued that all of them are, but some of them make changes so deep that our life is forever diferent. Initiating a relationship, or getting married, having a child. Or an accident and permanent injury, for example. On some of these we have decision power, and some are out of our control. All these experiences change our life, but as humans we learn to life with them.

When simming, we want to make our characters alike to real people (even when simming into a starship set in the future). And that means some of these events will also affect our characters. We have seen characters start or end relationships, have children or get terrible injuries. But, on this, we have control. In the end, we decide what experiences our characters go through. Especially those experiences that will mark them forever. 

For this week’s poll, we want to know how much you exercise this control. Do you carefully plan every major change for your character, or do you let them happen and explore them as they come?

This is a new post in our category Simming Questions. Here we will be asking questions about our community, our characters and our writing, and how you interact with it all.

(Apologies for any spelling or grammar errors, I injured my finger yesterday and it makes it awkward to type.)

When I first joined I had a  plan for Ishani; it basically boiled down to she was going to eventually going to be adopting Sebok, a former child slave that she had been counseling that would be played by my roommate. We had intended them to have a similar relationship on a previous role play board but the board folded before we could implement it, and part of the reason I became interested in joining SB 118 after my roommate did was so we could play out that relationship. 

In the tradition of best laid plans of mice and men, that plan went out the window as soon as I finished her cadet cruise. I originally was going to have her be a counselor, but at the time Ops Medical and Counseling Division was full so she ended up becoming a security officer that specialized in crises and counseling for victims of crime (which honestly works out better for what we wanted to do anyway). Because a new mission was due to start a couple of days after she officially joined we put off their meeting.  We ended up having to wait until just recently (two missions and one shore leave later) to introduce them. In addition, Ishani has recently started a relationship (completely unplanned) which will complicate things adoption wise, so right now I have no plan for her, merely goals.

• Like 1