• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

News & Updates on "Star Trek: Discovery"

Jordan aka FltAdmlWolf

2 hours ago, FltAdml. Wolf said:

You can watch on the CBS on-demand app. 

But isn't that a subscription? I don't want to pay for something I'm not going to use for very long; and/or for one tv show.

But isn't that a subscription? I don't want to pay for something I'm not going to use for very long; and/or for one tv show.Like thi

As I recall, that's the situation we're all in, because even if you have TV service, only the pilot episode is actually airing on live TV. Basically, if you live in the U.S. and want to legally watch the show, you have to suck it up and get a CBS All Access subscription. Well, either that, or get a friend to do it and host some viewing parties for new episodes. 

• Like 2

I think, in the US, you can watch the premier on the CBS broadcast network and then after that it's all on the CBS pay service. But yeah, we're all in that situation :)

Meh. I'll just wait for it to be on Amazon/Netflix, then binge watch the season.

I may have to hide under a rock to avoid spoilers.

• Like 1

What will Discovery really be about? Well, two ships, that's for sure. And the first human to attend the Vulcan Science Academy: http://ew.com/tv/2017/06/26/star-trek-discovery-storyline/

This could very well be a new, exciting take on the franchise.

What I'd love to see, though, is Trek from a different point of view altogether. Maybe a whole episode/series/season from a Klingon perspective, or Romulan. How awesome would that be, to explore the familiar Federation from an outsider perspective?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Looks exciting and it's going to be on Netflix (for the whole world except North America), which is even better - for us Non-Americans anyway!

They're really not doing themselves any favours by restricting their American audience.

Edited by Jon Oswald
  • Like 2

I'm oddly more excited about The Orville, Seth Macfarlane's new sci-fi show, than Discovery. The former has more of a Trek feel to me, while the new one feels much like the JJ-verse movies. And my biggest complaint about those was that they felt like action films that happened to be set in space and were coincidentally named Star Trek.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Trellis Vondaryan said:

I'm oddly more excited about The Orville, Seth Macfarlane's new sci-fi show, than Discovery. The former has more of a Trek feel to me, while the new one feels much like the JJ-verse movies. And my biggest complaint about those was that they felt like action films that happened to be set in space and were coincidentally named Star Trek.

But...but...stuff goes boom! Pretty colours, shouty people. 

I quite liked the first JJ-verse film but they were definitely action films and I'm hoping for something with a little more substance for Star Trek Discovery. Shows like the reimagining of Battlestar Galactica and Expanse have shown that you can have smart space shows, that deal with a range of issues and that also exciting. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and am hoping that its a success. 

• Like 1

I had REALLY hoped that the Klingons I thought I saw in the earlier photos weren't actually Klingons...  The armor is was too... insectoid looking.  Not to mention the fact that they have reintroduced the Klingon Forehead Problem after Enterprise season 4 managed to fix it.

The trailer does make the show look exciting, I'll give it that.  I'm curious how well it does, and I'll watch it when I can.  (Part of the American audience, and I have no interest in buying another streaming service for one show.)  But I'm kinda with Trellis in that this looks a bit too much like the Abrams-verse movies.  I can accept those movies as pretty decent sci-fi action, but this series does not look to be the return to the Prime Universe I was hoping for.

All that being said, I'll keep up hopes that the show is, at the very least, entertaining.  I can maintain my Trek fix with everything on Netflix.