• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

New Star Trek series name and ship revealed

More stuff I've just read - the focus of the show won't be on the Captain, but on a female Lieutenant-Commander which I think could be very interesting. Having the Captain and First Officer as slightly more distant figures could be really good. Puts me in mind of the 'Below Decks' episode of Voyager and the one in TNG where Picard was just a science Lieutenant. 

However, reading some other comments elsewhere raises some interesting concerns - it's going to be set 10 years before TOS, but there's talk of 'redefining that style' which is a term which always makes me nervous! Guess we'll see.
The other interesting point was why not set it in the reboot universe? They've picked a time period almost the same as the reboot timeline, just 10 years different, which seems a bit odd.

• Like 1

I, too, had kinda been hoping for a setting between TOS and TNG, but I won't knock the series for the timing.  ::Smiles.::

As for "redefining the style", I have a couple thoughts.  First: We've already caught a glimpse of the ship, and she has a rougher overall look than the original Enterprise.  (Darker metals with texture, as opposed to the smooth white plating.)  That may be a common theme throughout the show.

Second, while TOS will always have my respect as the one that started it all, it was VERY 60's.  I highly doubt we'd see our lead female in anything like the TOS miniskirt.  Depending on how long the series runs, we may see a few breaks with continuity.  (I am not forming an opinion on this unless I have to, just giving my thoughts on what we might see.)

I must also admit...  I'm really glad they're not setting this in the reboot timeline.  The reboot movies are EXCELLENT sci-fi action.  I've read enough reviews about Beyond on the forum that I'll watch it when it hits disc and enjoy it for what it is.  However, while it's had the veneer of Star Trek, I still haven't seen the true spirit of it.  My heart will always be in the Prime universe, and I'm glad we're going back to it for the series.

All-in-all, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.  I really want this to succeed!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Robert Falcon said:

As for "redefining the style", I have a couple thoughts.  First: We've already caught a glimpse of the ship, and she has a rougher overall look than the original Enterprise.  (Darker metals with texture, as opposed to the smooth white plating.)  That may be a common theme throughout the show.

Second, while TOS will always have my respect as the one that started it all, it was VERY 60's.  I highly doubt we'd see our lead female in anything like the TOS miniskirt.  Depending on how long the series runs, we may see a few breaks with continuity.  (I am not forming an opinion on this unless I have to, just giving my thoughts on what we might see.)

I for one am glad they're willing to "redefine the style." Of course TOS will always have a place in our hearts as the original Star Trek, but we shouldn't be chained to 1960s production values. If the HD remastering project showed that fans (or at least most fans) can accept new visual effects for the starship exteriors and so forth, why shouldn't we be able to just suspend our disbelief and let them show us the "HD" version of what the interior of Starfleet ships and facilities looked like or likewise with the costuming, make up, and so forth.

If more money and production capability had been available back then, we know things like the Gorn or the Horta would have looked different. When we go to see a play or show on Broadway, we understand that the sets on stage don't look as "real" as they would in real life. When they make movie adaptations of plays and musicals, do they then say we can't film in real locations or with sets that look like actual rooms instead of just a back wall? Of course not. Ultimately, we understand as an audience that the set dressing is just in service to the story.

We know that "in real life" starships wouldn't be so easily seen and lit up as they are in the darkness of space (nor would they be so close as they are depicted in the battle scenes of DS9). This is why when fans argue about how big a ship is and try to use "onscreen evidence," it's pointless because even the VFX artists admit they scale up the hero ships to make them more prominent in scenes (even those of the same class such as Martok's bird-of-prey in relation to the other BOPs). The visuals are for the story. They're not meant to be taken literally.

So if they want to redefine what the 2250s and 2260s look like, that's fine to me, just as a modern sequel or prequel to a video game made twenty years ago doesn't need to be beholden to the original's resolution/graphics quality. If they show TOS-era ships that look more detailed than the ones we saw in TOS, that's just like how the original A Night to Remember (1958) and Titanic (1997) both were showing the same ship from 1912, just with the different production values and capabilities of their times.

riverside_1500.jpg

(More pictures here)

Edited by Roshanara Rahman
  • Like 2

That is a very ugly ship, but also logical when you think about it, it was a transition period where Starfleet was starting to smooth its starship lines out after the Earth/Romulan war.

• 2 weeks later...

http://trekmovie.com/2016/08/28/breaking-bryan-fuller-reveals-new-star-trek-discovery-details-in-august-27th-interview/

And there's new details! Not much, but some good insight on the creative choices.

Edited by Roshanara Rahman
fixed broken link
  • Like 1