• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

New Star Trek series name and ship revealed

Details about the new series were revealed at Comic Con, including the name and a teaser of the ship: 

More info here: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-50-comic-con-913958

• Like 2

NCC-1031

star_trek_discovery_hero_-_h_2016.jpg

And for those who've seen the new movie...

Spoiler

surely I'm not the only one who notices a certain resemblance to the Franklin's saucer.

QMX_USS_Franklin_Artisan_Replica.jpg

So pre-TOS/early 23rd century? 

• Like 1

I'd say you're right... has to be pre-TOS, tho it's not nearly as sleek as what was in Enterprise which is baffling where design is concerned.

It has design elements reminiscent of Enterprise NX-01, but with a registry number that high, it is probably in the early days of the Federation. My guess would be somewhere around 2200.

1 hour ago, Rune Jolara said:

I love the name... but that ship... I'm sorry. That is the ugliest ship I've ever seen.

I agree. Its...awful.

Edited by Ayiana

Apparently based off of an old proposed redesign of the Enterprise in the 70s for what would have been the first TOS movie, Star Trek: Planet of the Titans. The similarities with some of the other concept art, especially the asteroid space dock can't be coincidental:

planetofthetitans.jpg

But they've also now said the design isn't "final." Hmm... well, regardless of how I personally feel about the design, it is exciting to be talking about a new Trek movie that just came out (with a sequel already announced) and a new TV series in development!

• Like 1

I feel like I've seen something about the Discovery in canon already and that it was pre-TNG - which also fits with some of the rumors that were coming out a couple months ago. Registry suggests this too.

Its been suggested to me that they might not be going past Voyager because of conflicting with Star Trek Online - which I sincerely hope is not the case. STO is great and all, but . . . really? Does it really have to classify as canon?

6 hours ago, Rune Jolara said:

I love the name... but that ship... I'm sorry. That is the ugliest ship I've ever seen.

Yes, I had the exact same feelings. It oddly makes me less excited for the show. Not enough that I won't watch, but it has tempered my excitement just a little.

I'm actually not opposed to what they've got, there.

I could immediately see the design lineage Rahman mentioned; the old Enterprise concept that got built as a couple study models and used in Star Trek 3 and a couple places in TNG.

I agree that the ship looks to be pre-TOS, both due to the registry number and the overall ship's design.  I could see her fitting in between the NX-class and the Constitution, though I'm not sure where on the line it fits best.

Looking at Rahman's Star Trek: Beyond screenshot comparison: I can see what you're talking about.  There are a few design elements which appear similar.  Some shared inspiration, perhaps?

As for the design itself, I'd be interested to see more.  I would not say this is my favorite looking ship out there (ST6 Enterprise-A still holds that particular mantle), but she's far from being the worst IMHO.

So, I'm still okay with what they're showing us.  My only major issue with the show is the CBS streaming requirement, which means I'll likely be watching it long after everyone else has.  ::Smiles.::  That being said, I'm still looking forward to seeing how the series does, and I'll keep my fingers crossed.

• Like 2

I've seen a lot of discussion of the new show around the interwebs. A lot, and I mean a lot, has been about the design of the ship. To this, my favorite community of interweb Trekkies, I add my thoughts:

They could have them flying around in a giant rubber duck with the registry code NCC-Z 1/2, and at this point I wouldn't care, because...

I'M JUST SO EXCITED WE'RE GETTING A NEW TREK SHOW!

s-b544e8c95ed1583136454d049b28583510f71b

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CeciriHakashri said:

I'm actually worried though. A post Enterprise Pre Tos Prime Directive series is pretty constrained. I'd rather it have been post Voy pre STO.. a lot to play around with there. =/

There has been talk of doing anthology seasons (like American Horror Story or Fargo). If that's the case then one season post-Enterprise, pre-TOS wouldn't necessarily be that constraining. A second season (if there was one) could be post-VOY or somewhere else in the timeline.

• Like 1

That ship is... unique.

I actually.. hmm...

I really don't know. 

Aesthetically it's grotesque but at the same time it screams 'function over fashion', it -looks- like a deep space ship. Sturdy, powerful, designed to weather a storm. Spaceships (the real ones) arn't pretty.

But it also looks very, very aggressive. It has the same forward posture of a Klingon or Romulan warbird.

10 minutes ago, Theo Whittaker said:

The ship design I like- but that CGI? Oh heck no! It's below even a fan film.

I think they framed it as this is a very early test animation, and that it'll be much more polished once the show launches. 

More new info: 

http://www.startrek.com/article/what-the-name-discovery-means-to-the-new-star-trek-series

• Like 1

I like the design, of course I'm just happy to see some ongoing Trek.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Trellis Vondaryan said:

There has been talk of doing anthology seasons (like American Horror Story or Fargo). If that's the case then one season post-Enterprise, pre-TOS wouldn't necessarily be that constraining. A second season (if there was one) could be post-VOY or somewhere else in the timeline.

That I'd really look forward to. Hell, imagine just one season of the Cardassian Border Skirmish...

Hmm... 

http://www.moviefone.com/2016/06/23/bryan-fuller-star-trek-interview/

There's been a lot of speculation about the format and setting of the new series. What would you like to put out there now, to wet the appetite for the audience?

I mean, it's funny. I've read that we're [set] before "Next Generation," after ["Star Trek VI: The] Undiscovered Country," which is false. I've read that it's an anthology show, which is not accurate. So it's interesting to see those suggestions, and seeing the truth mixed in with them and going like, "Oh, they got that part right..." But it's sort of on the truth-o-meter on PolitiFacts. It's sort of like some truth, and a lot of like, "No -- pants on fire! That's not true."

I'm still putting my latinum on post-ENT, pre-TOS.

Earth-Romulan War anyone?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ayiana said:

I'm still putting my latinum on post-ENT, pre-TOS.

Earth-Romulan War anyone?

Plausible.  Very plausible.

Registry number MIGHT be a little high for that, but the overall ship style could well support.

Spoiler

And, didn't they mention the Romulan War in Beyond?  I've only got reviews and synopses to go on, but I think I saw mention of it.  Could have been to put the name in everyone's ear.

• 3 weeks later...

I was hoping for something set in the 'missing years' between TOS and TNG. With the ink on the peace deal with the Klingons still wet, there could have been a good amount of political story lines, and still plenty to explore
Plus they had the best uniforms...

Enterprise has already shown how hard it is to do something pre-TOS so I can only hope they've learned from the mistakes! For some reason I get the feeling that Discovery is going very much like TOS, and that could be a very good thing.

Currently feeling - cautiously optimistic 

• Like 1