• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Simming the Bad Guy

Brell

Simming the Bad Guy  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite type of antagonist to write, or to see others write in simming?

• One so alien their motives and strength we are unable to understand, like the Borg.
    • One ruthless and cold, intelligent but far from the most human parts of our own characters, like Lore.
    • One loyal to their own principles, or to their own faction. A good agent, just on a different side, like Sela or Kashyk.
    • An approachable character, with their own problems and fears. Relatable, where we could see ourselves possibly doing the same things in their situation, like Gul Dukat.
    • Another, not covered in this list. Share your thoughts!

We are all used to simming our characters in their Star Trek lives. And, with their own problems and conflicts, they are the protagonists of our stories, they uphold (to their own extent) the values of the Federation and generally win, at least in the end.

But simming occasionally offers the unique opportunity of writing an antagonist, the bad guy our characters fight against. Not every mission has one, we might be just fighting nature, or internal conflict, for example. But, on those missions that have an opponent, someone has to sim them. If you have, you know how fun and amazing it can be. If you haven’t, consider it and contact your captain, because it is a fascinating opportunity.

But, when we sim them, there are lots of styles and types of enemies our characters can face. So here is our question, what is your favourite kind of enemies? Maybe so alien we can’t understand their motives? Maybe ruthless and cold, so far from the most human parts of our own characters we can’t relate? Or maybe with their own interests, loyal to their own faction, a good agent just in a different side? Or approachable, with their own problems and fears, relatable, where we could see ourselves doing the same things in their same situation?

Each one has their own perks and is fun to sim in their own manner. But what is your favourite?

This is a new post in our category Simming Questions. Here we will be asking questions about our community, our characters and our writing, and how you interact with it all.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I actually liked the question and I have had the opportunity to portray the bad guy, but unfortunately I have not had the privilege of doing it here. I played on a lot of transformer RPGs and you might note my email address reveals one of my two favorites: Cyclonus and the other was Shockwave. I have also portrayed bad guys on Marvel Superheroes RPGs. I know they don't belong in Star Trek but in the end the same rules apply. Playing the bad guy can be fun and liberating and sometimes you can find that piece of the character's personality that you can relate to and twist into darkness. Heh heh heh. 

I like villains that are are inelligent or have a dark honor. The trick is finding out what makes them tick. Why are they evil. Most folks are not evil just for the sake of being evil, in fact some see themselves as good guys :)

Anyway. My 2 cents

• Like 1

On 02/08/2016 at 2:18 AM, Merrick R'Ven said:

I like villains that are are inelligent or have a dark honor. The trick is finding out what makes them tick. Why are they evil. Most folks are not evil just for the sake of being evil, in fact some see themselves as good guys :)

I watched or read an interview with someone (can't remember who or where or when I read/saw it) once where they said everyone thinks they're the good guy in their own story. Humans have a great ability to justify things to themselves, which helps rationalize their actions.

• Like 2

For me I think it really depends on the story and the scope.

I love sympathetic villains.  I love them so much that I'm a big fan of anti-hero stories or heel-face turns.

That said, sometimes you don't want the villain to be sympathetic.  You want it to be wholly cathartic when this monster is taken down.  I still try to make my villains understandable - you can rationally understand what made them this way; but you'll never like them or root for them.  Someone like Joffrey from GoT - intellectually you "get" why he's such a horrible person, but that doesn't matter.  You hate him, and you will cheer when he gets what's coming to him.

I admit, I'm attached to making the second kind of villain as well.  I consider it a 'win' when a villain is so memorable yet hateable that the PCs are queuing up to take them down...  :whistling:

As I've watched Trek over the years, there are a few villains that have truly stood out, each for different reasons. Gul Dukat is one of them, probably the leader of that list. Indeed, part of the reason he was so likeable was because you never really knew if he was doing this next action for his own ends, or because he actually did know what was right, or what was wrong. It must have been a joy to write for such a character. While other villains- Khan, the Borg, etc.- have left indelible impressions on Trek fans, you knew where they stood at all times. For Khan it was really just revenge. For the Borg, expansion, assimilation, and survival. But Dukat... it was almost impossible to predict his moves before he made them.  That, and the fact that he might even be called a likable guy at times- as in, someone you would vote for as a protagonist- makes me feel that he and characters like him are the best to write for.

• Like 1