• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

What Trek Technology do you WANT?

Brell

What Trek Technology do you WANT?   

25 members have voted

1. 1. What Trek Technology do you WANT?

• Warp drives. Faster than light travel that would allow us to travel through the galaxy and explore new worlds and systems.
    • Transporters. Never waste time commuting again. Instant transportation in a few instants.
    • Dermal Regenerators. Heal that wound even quite severe ones with a wave of this fantastic medical device.
    • Artificial gravity fields. Control gravity! Choose the gravity setting. Or place your belongings on a antigravity sled for easy carrying. Weight control at your hands!
    • Androids. Human-like artificial beings.
    • Something Else? What Trek or Trek inspired Technology do you want?

Last time we asked What Tech from all of Trek do you think you would see next in the real world. This time we would like to ask something a bit different. How would you like to travel through vast distances of space in relatively short time? How about get from one spot on the planet to another in blink of an eye? How about some other impossible in the here and now or the soon to be Technology you have seen on Star Trek that would vastly improve your life or the lives of all humans? This week the question is; What Technology from all of Trek would you want to have?

This question comes from our category Trek Technology & Science. Where we ask questions on well the science and technology of the shows and movies we all enjoy. In this category we will often ask questions that relate to real world science and technology and how it compares or contrasts to the universe of Star Trek.

Whatever medical equipment it takes to cure cancer.. all cancer.. like this:

In 2151, Bernadette Fuller, a colonist on Terra Nova colony was diagnosed with lung cancer, though it was easily treatable with Enterprise's medical equipment. (ENT: "Terra Nova")

• Like 4

I was really torn between transporters and Other. There's so much great Star Trek technology that would be great to have. As Rune pointed out, Federation medical knowledge would be great. I was thinking replicators would be super useful, too, since that would (hopefully) allow so many people to live a good life without needs. From a purely fun perspective holodecks would be amazing.

I was tempted, for a moment, to vote for warp drive. But I thought that humanity is much too immature for it. If there is other intelligent life in the universe do we really want them seeing humanity as it currently stands -- divided by artificial barriers (countries, races, economics, etc) and harmful to itself and the world? I think warp drive would be amazing but we're not ready for it.

• Like 1

I chose Warp Drive because I'd like to see us 'get out there', but realistically I think a replicator would do wonders for our society.

It would pose a lot of issues for us, but it would be awesome in the long run.

Warp Drive. Because I want to move to Mars.

• Like 2

I think the dermal regenerator is the most useful of all when you look at it. But with warp drive we could possibly explore other habitable worlds which might have such technologies. I know it's quite impssible, but who knows?

And then of course: the holodeck/holsuite. This would be the best entertainment invention ever in my opinion. Just imagine! You can be PART of your favorite series.

4 hours ago, Trellis Vondaryan said:

I'm okay just WATCHING Game of Thrones, thanks... :sweating:

Okay, maybe that's an exception. But, you know, e.g. Harry Potter would be insanely cool to be part of! (Maybe not Deathly Hallows, but all the other books...)

The selfish part of me screams holodeck. While I'm not really into putting 'me' into most RP scenarios, the sheer fun of that thing can't be denied. Besides, imagine how cool that thing would be from a school perspective. Sudden history and literature are the best classes. ;)

That said from a society point of view, I'd say warp drive - both for getting us out there to Mars but being able to explore beyond our own solar system, but also for the energy revolution that thing represents. I'd love to be able to take a day trip to Saturn and have my car run endlessly off a tiny crystal fragment. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I  voted for transporter as a huge time and resource saver, but I'd also love the holodeck...SOOOOO much more creative than tv or movies.

While warp drive and transporters was really appealing, I decided to go with artificial gravity. The best thing about that is, you don't necessarily have to have the gravity flowing in a "downward" direction. Depending on what sort of space craft you build, you can have 4 different floors for people to walk on in the same room if you properly manipulate the gravity simulator. On top of that, I think our biggest issue in space (as of this moment) is dealing with the lack of gravity. Yeah, it makes moving large and heavy objects much easier, but we have a large number of health issues that humans experience without that force pulling down on you, thank to research done by NASA. Without gravity, there's an excessive amount of blood flow to the eyes, decreases in bone density from the lack of use, muscle mass decrease, and etc. If we were to have artificial gravity at our fingertips, I think that space would be more of an accessible frontier.

• Like 1