• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

PNPC LtCmdr Icavoc - Renewed Confidence

Graeme Cook

((Nicu Icavoc’s Quarters, Deck 7 - USS Darwin-A))

::Maybe it was because Nicu Icavoc was already in an uncharacteristically bad mood that he decided to put the doctor on the spot. Maybe he wanted to understand what sort of knowledge the medical team were working with and how much support he could realistically expect from him. He watched Graeme closely looking for any signs of nervousness as he answered his question.::

Icavoc: Tell me Doctor, what exactly do you know about Dokkaran medicine?

Cook: I know enough to know that most our drugs have no effect on your kind that's why we have a small amount of special analgesic in a hypo spray as I already said nothing is effective. I know your bones are called bone-wood and is a lot stronger than my bones.  I could go on about your flesh being leaves that give the effect of flesh, I think the best medicine for the Dokkaran is ummm ::Pausing:: Ceata's soil... I hope I said it right? I also have learned that you are very similar to plants except you don't require sunlight but operate on a modified version of the Calvin Cycle or the Calvin-Benson cycle, where carbon dioxide is captured in a cycle of reactions, if I'm correct there are three stages, stage 1, the enzyme Ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase or RuBisCO for short incorporates carbon dioxide into an organic molecule, 3-Phosphoglyceric acid or 3-PGA. ::Taking a large breath and smiling at Nicu:: Then in stage 2, the organic molecule is reduced using electrons supplied by Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphat or again NADPH for short. Lastly I n stage 3, Ribulose Biphosphate or RuBP, the molecule that starts the cycle, is regenerated so that the cycle can then continue.

::As a scientist and one who put a lot of value in knowledge Nicu Icavoc was impressed. Graeme had indulge his question and provided a smattering of facts the illustrated the range and depth of his knowledge. It did much to restore his confidence and reassure him of the quality care he could expect. In his long years with Starfleet few had ever been allowed to study Dokkaran physiology because of The Council of Elders had determined it in the species best interests not to allow those who didn’t sufficiently understand themselves to study his race in detail. Though Ceata was aligned with the Federation, the species was young and they were not fully fledged members. Years of diplomatic interactions had strengthened the Dokkaran understanding other the greater galactic universe and in turn they learned of his kind. There was a certain harmony about it that he appreciated.::

Icavoc: Very good. You may proceed. ::In a more friendly manner::

::Nicu watched as the doctor unwrapped the bandages and inspected his wound. Even a few weeks on he was struggling with the reality of it. Sometimes he would wake up and forget his hand was no longer there. He would reach out to pick something up only to see not a hand but a useless stump. Much of the leafy flesh on his arm was discolored brown. His attention was drawn to the doctor as he spontaneously laughed. Nicu Icavoc could see no obvious reason for it and wondered what he was thinking about.::

Icavoc: ::With curiosity:: What’s amusing?

Cook: I'm just going over things in my head and I laughed because I secretly complimented Isabel Pond on her work. I want to run some tests on your arm as in the amputated one I want to find and extract cells and run tests on them to help in aid you growing and replacing your arm. But I won't lie it's not going to be easy I will need to discuss this with Miss Pond and if she agrees I will speak to the capt… Or Maxwell Traenor... What do you think?

Icavoc: I think we should take things one step at a time but I appreciate the support. I haven’t seen any new growth yet, however I am afraid the best case scenario for regrowing the limb naturally will take years.

::Their species was extremely long lived and were strong of body and mind. When they were injured they more often than not could repair the damage but it took a significant time. His soil was as close to Ceata as could be but it was still not home soil. The lights in his room simulated natural light as closely as they could and though he had them burning quite brightly for the time being to support his recovery, they could never quite be as good as natural light. His recovered was hampered by his circumstances right from the start.::

Cook: I have one more thing I would like to ask you... I feel a visit from Mr Scudder to help you I read that he was by your side more or less through the whole ordeal I shall request that he pays a visit?

::Paul Scudder was a newcomer to the Darwin but already he had been of great support to him. He had found he could confide in the counselor, he had helped him deal with overwhelming emotions that had gripped him and nearly prevented him from accepting life saving surgery. He felt a follow up discussion with the man might be incredibly beneficial in helping him come to terms with his new reality and move on with his life in a productive manner.::

Icavoc: Please. I would like that.

::Doctor Cook examined his stump and changed the dressing. They discussed the situation a little further with Nicu Icavoc’s manner being more calm and relaxed now that his confidence was restored. The Scot genuinely seemed to think there was potential to come up with a long term solution but what he would need to talk about was his immediate future. Were it not for the fact Graeme Cook was needed elsewhere very soon they could probably have got into it more.::

Cook: Well Nicu Icavoc my work is done here for now with your decisions I will strive to make them work. It was finally good to meet you. My door is always open even if it's for a chat and a drink!

Icavoc: Thank you Graeme Cook. It is a pleasure to meet you. Take care.

PNPC LtCmdr Icavoc - Acting Chief of Security and Tactical

Fleet Captain Renos - Commanding Officer, USS Darwin NCC-99312-A

* Executive Council & Captain's Council Member

* Academy Commandant

A238805EB0

Hi any chance of this being moved rounds as I'm on my phone and it selected round 9 rather than 16. Thanks 😀

5 hours ago, Graeme Cook said:

Hi any chance of this being moved rounds as I'm on my phone and it selected round 9 rather than 16. Thanks 😀

Done and done! ;) Not a problem, and thanks for the heads up!

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.