• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Praise the Borg!

Valdivia

Praise the Borg!  

18 members have voted

1. 1. A sect willingly wants to join the Borg, the maximum exponent of perfection in the galaxy. Would you let them?

• Yes, they are free citizens and have the right to do so.
    • No, you would detain them and place them under arrest.
    • You would proceed in some other way (tell us in the forums!)

The borg are feared throughout the galaxy. For anyone not Borg, they are seen as a terrible evil, assimilating unwilling creatures to join their Collective in what they see as a quest for perfection. But how could that be perfection, being part of a collective without any sense of individuality? Anyone, from any species within the Federation, would agree that their individuality is good, and that the Borg assimilation is a crime against all that is good. Anyone, right?

You are the captain of a starship. On one of your travels, you find a small freighter heading directly for Borg space. Upon intercepting them, their leader explains that they consider the Borg to be the ultimate evolution of living beings, as close to perfection as a human can get, and therefore they plan to ask the Borg to be assimilated. For all you know, they look like an organized sect adoring the Borg, with Borg themes all over the ship.

They claim to have the right to do so as free citizens. Tell us, would you let them go?

This is a new edition of our category Morals of Trek, where you are in the shoes of a Starfleet Captain facing a dilemma any of our favourite characters could have faced in Star Trek. If your crew has faced any such dilemmas and you want to see it featured in a Poll of the Week, let us know!

• Like 1

I will talk to each member of the sect before letting them or anyone of the freighter move forward, and make sure that they understand that individual local control will be gone.

At that point.

They are borg.

• Like 1

I'd let them do it; but make them pass a counseling exam first.

If a counselor clears them as 'of right mind' then... ok... go for it.  Because preventing them will only make they try to do it harder and illegally.

I would make them completely aware of the destruction the Borg has caused throughout the galaxy, the lives lost in defense of the Federation..if I have an El Aurian on board have them explain to them how the Borg destroyed their world. Failing that, I would have to allow them to exercise free will and let them go..but make sure they carry no technology which could assist the Borg in any way.

To me since we are supposed to be playing characters who (hopefully) uphold the very best of Federation and Starfleet ideals, I would say we can't force them and that everyone has the right to choose. However I would hope we would be talking to them for a long (long, long, long) time first. I could see us showing evidence of atrocities, appealing on an individual and group basis and a great many other things that I can't think of right now.

But then again this is Merrick R'Ven we're talking about,  and he has some rather unique insights.

• Like 1

I'd detain them. I fully respect the concept of free will and individual choice but as has been mentioned, the Borg are responsible for the loss of countless planets, ships and colonies. Sending them a ready-made squad of fresh recruits would be a threat to Federation security. I'd question whether their act could not itself be viewed as treason given that they would be going to aid the Federation's worst enemy. Also, could we ever truly know what was in the mind of each person going? Perhaps someone possess a skill or expertise in something that contributes to the Borg overcoming the defenses of another world?

On this one, I might say that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

(How lucky I was to watch The Wrath of Khan last night.)

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Eerie said:

At that point.

They are borg.

I saw Eerie's post, and I read it as "and if they are decided to go, I will consider they are already Borg and shoot them" hahaha

That being said, I voted for letting them go, but I agree with those of you saying long counseling sessions would be needed beforehand.

• Like 1

From my character's point of view, she finds the Borg beyond frightening. Pretty darn close in behavior of an ancient entity that stole souls.  

The Federation Constitutional and such gives each citizen certain rights and privilages.  Things they could do even if another dislikes.

If she were a ship Captain, she'd detain them only long enough to determine the mental and physical health of the people.  To find out their reasons for joining the Borg.  She'd make sure these folks were fully aware of what they'd be getting into so they'd be at least informed.  

If she could get a hold of a person that used to BE Borg, T'Mihn would ask him/her or them to speak to the frieghter crew and passengers. 

T'Mihn would have to leave her own personal opinions and reactions out of things concerning the assimalative species.;)

If after all of that and the folks still want to go, she'd have to let them. That's if none are criminals, no one has tech or information the Borg could use against others.