• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Star Trek Beyond Trailer #2!

That was better than the first trailer... but thats not saying much... Im not a fan of the turtleneck uniforms... and was that an NX-class? I really have a hard time taking the reboot movies seriously... and I can see thats going to continue into the the third one.

• Like 1

I find it really interesting they went such a different direction than the first trailer. 

I feel the same way about this that I have about the previous ones -- looks entertaining. Doesn't feel like Star Trek. 

More than anything, I'm annoyed that every movie is a chance to destroy the Enterprise. She deserves better, and by acting like this they've really removed the ship as a character and made it nothing more than the vehicle we get to watch shredded each movie. 

• Like 1

Seeing as I never miss an opportunity to bash at this thing a bit, I can hardly pass this one up, either.

I'm in agreement with pretty much everything already stated.  Looks better, but that's not saying much.  It's sci-fi action, not Star Trek.  Entertaining... maybe, but everything else about it is killing it.

Solaris; I asked that same question.  It looks like some variant of an NX-class to me, as well.  Suggests the moviemakers think the NX-class is superior to the Constitution-class, but at this point I'm too tired of them to really care anymore.

Admiral; your comments about the Enterprise as an integral character and how she deserves better are spot on.  I said the exact same thing on seeing the first trailer.

Based on this trailer, here's how I see the basic plot of the movie going.

Enterprise is destroyed, most of the crew is captured, with Kirk, Spock, and McCoy (plus others, maybe?) get back to Earth.  They then steal a ship to go back and rescue the others, the aforementioned NX lookalike.  This time, they manage to destroy all the stuff that killed Enterprise and save the day.

So, they're doing Star Trek 3.  They're just doing it backwards; stealing a ship after destroying the Enterprise rather than stealing the Enterprise to have it later be destroyed.  Sadly, this comes as no surprise to me.  The folks making these movies have proven multiple times that they have a serious lack of imagination when it comes to plotforming.

I'll wait for the reviews, see what people think, and learn everything there is no know about this movie before I even consider watching it.  Which actually puts it on part with both up the upcoming Star Wars movies.

Maybe the new series will be better?  At this point, it's hard to feel any kind of confidence...

It's funny cause as someone who is pretty lukewarm about the nuTrek movies in general, I'm really looking forward to this one. I also seem to have had the opposite reaction to these movies from most other fans in that I actually thought 2009 was the weakest besides the opening Kelvin bit, with the rest of the movie running more on nostalgia and caricatures of the TOS crew ("Oh of course Kirk needs to sleep with green alien women!"), and Into Darkness actually trying to say something (if only barely) about drone warfare/execution without trial that unfortunately got lost with the unnecessary inclusion of Khan. This movie (spoiler alert) supposedly will not be set around Earth (that's actually a "Starbase Yorktown" they are visiting) and might even touch upon issues of exploration vs colonialism/imperialism, but I also like what I'm seeing in terms of separating the bridge crew into smaller pairs like the classic Bones and Spock and other pairings like Uhura and Sulu and Kirk and Chekov. That offers a chance at some real character moments.

And I love the imagery of the ship traveling at warp...

• Like 2

I enjoyed the first two films - they were well-made, very entertaining sci-fi action films. But, as has been mentioned before on here and elsewhere, they don't really feel like Star Trek films.

Both of the first two had parts that did hit the mark, though. In particular the second film with the role reversal of Kirk and Spock's death was very well done. In Wrath of Khan that signaled the end of a very old friendship but in Into Darkness they used the same event to mark the beginning of that same friendship - until that point, the 'new' Spock and Kirk had never built up the mutual respect and had no reason to particularly like each other.

Anyway, the new film - it looks like there might be a bit more Kirk/Spock/McCoy going on, and that in my mind was the primary relationship of the originals. I really hope they build on that. Otherwise, I agree with the general opinion - looks entertaining but still missing that Star Trek spark. It was a show about people, not flashy explosions.
Also, I totally agree on the Enterprise. It's been relegated to a piece of scenery, which means there's no impact anymore if people do blow holes in it, or destroy it. There is zero emotional connection. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's trailer #3: 

Rihanna's song is pretty awesome -- they have it timed perfectly with the action for some really punctuating moments. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy these trailers though I don't necessarily love all they're doing to Trek. I think the best summary of the reboots is best reflected in what Chris Pine says in that trailer:

"Let's make some noise."

• Like 2

On 6/29/2016 at 9:25 AM, Amuro McKnight said:

Why couldn't just use this kind of budget and tone and return us back to the Prime universe?

Because they're pretty limited in what they can do in the Prime Universe. That said, I'm not really sure I'm going to bother to see this movie.

I just wished when they rebooted the series, they didn't have to actually create an alternate universe to the prime universe. I mean...the prime universe established so much of the future with an agency of Temporary agents who's sole job is to protect the time line. They might let something like Voyager slip a bit...or a few times...and Kirk, but then there's a complete reboot like this. It would have been easier to just establish a new series that is just a simple reboot without the time BS to go with it.

To be fair, they did that the best way possible. The Prime Universe has a lot of canon and you'll need to figure out what you want to use. Also: IIRC, neither Brooks nor Mulgrew has any desire to appear in a Star Trek movie which does not help the idea of more Prime Universe movies.

On 13/07/2016 at 11:18 PM, Amuro McKnight said:

I just wished when they rebooted the series, they didn't have to actually create an alternate universe to the prime universe. I mean...the prime universe established so much of the future with an agency of Temporary agents who's sole job is to protect the time line. They might let something like Voyager slip a bit...or a few times...and Kirk, but then there's a complete reboot like this. It would have been easier to just establish a new series that is just a simple reboot without the time BS to go with it.

I don't see any problem with the alternate universe concept. As has been shown in multiple episodes throughout the shows there are multiple quantum realities. The reboot movies just show one of them. Even if the Temporal Agents did in fact protect the Prime timeline so that nothing happened to it, they don't deal with alternate/parallel universes.

93% fresh so far on Rotten Tomatoes!

Critics Consensus: Star Trek Beyond continues the franchise's post-reboot hot streak with an epic sci-fi adventure that honors the series' sci-fi roots without skimping on the blockbuster action.

Final (relatively spoiler-free) trailer:

Woohoo! B)

Edited by Roshanara Rahman