• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

First teaser for Star Trek's upcoming TV show is out

Haha, that felt more like an ad for a game than a show. ::Said in my grumpy old man voice.:: :) I'd heard of the possibility of a rotating cast format somewhere else; that would be super interesting.

22 hours ago, Scudder said:

Haha, that felt more like an ad for a game than a show. ::Said in my grumpy old man voice.:: :) I'd heard of the possibility of a rotating cast format somewhere else; that would be super interesting.

You only think it would be interesting until you realize that it means every season would suffer from 'Season 1 syndrome'.

I really cant get excited for this... TOS is my least favoured era...

8 minutes ago, Solaris said:

You only think it would be interesting until you realize that it means every season would suffer from 'Season 1 syndrome'.

I guess if you think 'Season 1 Syndrome' is caused solely by fresh casts. If the different seasons have the same producers and writers, they'd likely get into the swing of things. No Deanna Trois in funny leotards.

39 minutes ago, Scudder said:

I guess if you think 'Season 1 Syndrome' is caused solely by fresh casts. If the different seasons have the same producers and writers, they'd likely get into the swing of things. No Deanna Trois in funny leotards.

It is.

Just look at TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise. For the most part, the important crew, were all the same. And even so, the 1st season of each of those shows were some of the worst parts of those shows, and they had some great actors across all three shows. The first 12-24 episodes of any series, even those with well established writers, directors and producers, are always the weakest seasons. By the time the first season is ever the cast has gotten to know each other, and theyve gotten to understand the writers and directors and Season 2 goes much smoother.

But the moment you shift your entire cast, that learning process has to start again. And so while the crew knows each other well, the cast has to get to know their costars and the writers and directors etc. from square one.

Im gonna couple this with the fact that I hold absolutely zero faith in Alex Kurtzman or Bryan Fulller to not screw this series up as much as they have in the past (Kurtzman with the reboots and Fuller with Voyager). About the only person I have any faith in is Nicholas Meyer... and he hasnt written Trek in many many years.

Nah, I'm not convinced it's that clear cut. The ensemble miniseries is popular in TV right now, especially streaming TV. All of those are new casts and some are great shows. But I guess we'll see!

Regardless, I'm not a fan of the TOS era in particular either -- or rather, I'm definitely not a fan of the recent movies -- so I'm only expecting this to be sugary candy. Fun, maybe, but no ST:IV. :D

• Like 1

Yeah, I just want to second the notion that TV has come a long way since even VOY.

Moreover, Fuller has done a lot of creative stuff with television shows, so I think it's likely he'll want to be fresh-thinking with this.