• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Which movie should never have been made?

Jordan aka FltAdmlWolf

Which of the following movies do you wish was never made?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following movies do you wish was never made?

• 1. TOS- The Motion Picture
    • 2. TOS- The Wrath of Khan
    • 3. TOS- The Search for Spock
    • 4. TOS- The Voyage Home
    • 5. TOS- The Final Frontier
    • 6. TOS- The Undiscovered Country
    • 7. TNG- Generations
    • 8. TNG- First Contact
    • 9. TNG- Insurrection
    • 10. TNG- Nemesis

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One horrible, drawn out episode that was completely predictable. People with stretchy-faces are evil, one Admiral tries to keep them in control, Picard complains about moving the people because it is wrong, Picard takes it into his own hands because stretchy-faces are going to destroy the planet anyway. They did that episode before on NexGen.

Taken from cover of VHS copy of episode

Journey's End

Episode 172

Airdate: Week of 3-28-94

Stardate: 47751.2

-----------

As a result of a recent peace settlement, Admiral Necheyev (Natalija Nogulich) ordres Picard (Patrick Stewart) to evacuate a colony of Native Americans caught in Cardassian territory. Meanwhile, Wesley Crusher (Wil Wheaton), on break from Starfleet Academy, alienates everyone on board with his moody behavior. Sensing his troubled spirit, a visiting Indian elder invites him to the village for a vision quest. Unfortunately, the early arrival of a Cardassian landing party threatens to destroy the peace process. While Picard searches for a nonviolent resolution, Wesley begins his spiritual oddyssey, and soon realizes that he is at his journey's end with Starfleet. It is time to find a new path with the Traveler.

The plots are slightly different, but they're basically the same episode... only Insurrection is poorly done.

I voted First Contact, because there really has been no worse moment in the history of Star Trek, I think, than giving Data emotions. Maybe we can debate that sometime.

As for the God thing in Star Trek V, strangely enough, I didn't think it was so bad. Sure, it lacks what almost all of the Star Trek movies lack, but we don't really watch them for what they are, do we, just what they promise. That the drive to "find God" was strong enough to lead a Vulcan (a crazy Vulcan, admittedly) to steal a ship and journey to the center of the galaxy is interesting, even if it wasn't played well by Sybok. And that you can't get to God by way of the USS Enterprise, but must seek whatever divinity there is in other, non-physical, non-rational, ways says something very interesting about God and religion, regardless of your beliefs on the subject. ST5 gets a lot of flak for the whole "flying to find God" premise, but I don't know if it's as bad as we often say it is.

And turning Data into comic relief seems, to me, a graver sin against Star Trek, in any event.

Actually, First Contact is not the first movie with Data having emotion. The chip was installed in Generations. And though I can see what you mean... I don't think that's enough reason to not make a movie.

Actually, First Contact is not the first movie with Data having emotion. The chip was installed in Generations. And though I can see what you mean... I don't think that's enough reason to not make a movie.

Sorry. My bad. I should have checked "Generations," not "First Contact." But am I the only one for whom all those TNG movies blend together?

I just find it difficult to keep the movies straight in my own mind. Probably the result of a lack of interest, more than anything else. I saw Nemesis recently, so I've got that one. And Generations, of course, given the wild premise (although the purely TNG parts of Nemesis are hard for me to remember). But Insurrection and First Contact seem to lack the strong points of plot demarcation common to the earlier films.

But, again, I'm sure that they are very different, and I just lost interest after Generations (perhaps, because of Generations).

• 2 weeks later...

The worst movie in the entire franchise has to be Star Trek V. Why? Oh, please, it was nothing but a Shatner ego-fest. As many of you know, I have no love for William Shatner. He's an egotistical putz. Anyway, STV had no discernable plot, no real action, just a dumb thread of a storyline that no one, including God himself, could have saved. Shatner's disdain for the rest of the crew was evident in the writing ... Sulu and Chekov getting lost in Yosimite, Scotty getting bonked on the head, Uhura barely having enough lines to justify her role in the movie. And to top it off, the rest of the crew is stupid enough to get caught up in the entire Sybock thing. The entire movie centered on Spock, Bones and Kirk. And if he could have, I am willing to bet that Shatner would have excluded them, as well.

It's just a bad, bad movie.

But surely STV was a homage to the special relationship Kirk, Spock and Bones have? Their quests in space have brought them far closer together to the point they fight against 'God'.

And I agree somewhat that it was a Shatner fest, but mainly because he co-wrote it, and he should get some leeway because he is the Captain - hence why you never got to see his "Pain"...

Im sorry but I will defend STV - more so than ST3, which I dont like much.

• 2 weeks later...
... agree somewhat that it was a Shatner fest, but mainly because he co-wrote it, and he should get some leeway because he is the Captain - hence why you never got to see his "Pain"...

Wilde, one thing that slightly buged me about it ws that Shatner wrote V, and then went of vacation. During that time, Nemoy and Kelly decided that the script was horrible and they should re-write it. (So he didn't intend to co-write it.)

Lo and behold, because of the internal fighting (Shatner was not happy) Paramount almost cancled the movie... but instead hacked the special effects budget... hence why all the graphics in V are just pathetic.

Yes, V is the worst... even worse than "Star Trek: The Motion Sickness" as many people called it.

If you ask me, the top three bad ST movies are:

1) Star Trek, V- The Final Frontier

2) Star Trek, I- The Motion Picture

3) Star Trek, IX- Insurrection

Actually, the director's cut of ST:TMP is pretty cool. It's been reedited and moves much faster now than it ever did. Also, the effects have been updated, which usually I hate, but in this case, it really worked out great. I think part of the reason for the failure of ST:TMP to really work was

1. Robert Wise, the director, had no time to edit the film.

2. The effects were poorly done and on the fly, since the production company hired to do them fell behind in the work.

3. Roddenberry's story had no discernable ending.

4. The story is a lovely novelization, or, as some have said "A tone poem about God." However, sometimes, you can't really effectively film a tone poem.

5. The script was being written, quite literally, while the movie was being shot, and got thrown back and fourth between Roddenberry and several other writers, none of whom had any idea how to end the smegging thing.

Just my .02

I haven't seen the revamped version, but I know from an article in Star Trek: Magazine, that they said much of the same as you T'Lara -- it was a very bad situation while it was being filmed, and the new version is much better.

To me, Generations was the worse movie ever to be made. IMHO it was a movie that said nothing. It offered no real extra depth to any of the characters and no real adventure. Wow, we get to see Kirk going back to his home where his true love was...big deal. I watched the movie occasionally and still get disgussed about twenty minutes into the movie.

I agree. It was a one-trick movie. And the trick was to get Kirk on the screen with Picard. It was a dream that turned into a nightmare.

Well, there was the problem of the fact that Kirk would most likely be dead by the time of the Next Generation films. They had to have the Nexus Ribbon in order to get Kirk and Picard together. However, with all the strange time anomolies in Star Trek, they could of thought of a better way to do it ... the only redeeming quality to Generations was Malcom McDowell.

I thought TMP, even though it was basically the Nomad episode expanded, had a good idea behind it. It just didn't have any action. Star Trek III was interesting, although really not worth 2 hours of screen time. It could have been added to the beginning of Star Trek IV and would have been fine. Star Trek V actually had some good ideas in it and possibility for dramatic effect. It was just poorly made and poorly written.

In my opinion all TNG movies are terrible. But Generations was stupid. Now get this, you have a Nexus Ribbon that you can go anywhere in time. You are Picard and you realize this, which he did, because he did go back in time. Picard is very intelligent and it wouldn't have been a great leap for him to go back to when Malcolm McDowell's character came aboard and incarcerate him then so the rest of the movie would have never happened. If they wanted to put Kirk in a movie with TNG crew, they could have done it intelligently. Instead, they made everyone involved stupid.

• 4 months later...

I also happen to think the whole movie was stupid, protracted, and quite choppy, topped off with bad acting on the part of everyone. The plot was alright....but the movie wasn't.

ST-V, hands down is my vote as the worst ST film ever made. "Insurrection" is a close second. I nearly walked out of the theater on both movies. I have not watched either movie since for all the reasons already stated in previous posts. "The Wrath of Khan" is still my favorite by far.