• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Synthehol - How's that work?

Scudder

I'm wondering if there's a fleet-wide consensus on how synthehol works? How has everyone been playing synthehol in their sims?

I didn't find anything in our wiki or forums, and Memory-Alpha is vague.

The best answer I found draws from TNG episodes and an interview with Roddenberry:

• Synthehol is intoxicating. However, any rise in a person's adrenaline counters and eliminates synthehol's intoxicating effects. An officer summoned to the bridge in Red Alert will be almost instantly sober.
  • Synthehol is non-toxic (there is no "synthehol-poisoning") and is non-addictive.
  • It looks, smells, and tastes similar to alcohol -- to all but a connoisseur.

Any thoughts?

There are a few studies online about the possibility of real-life synthehol attempts, and this link provides a nice, short, and concise explanation about how alcohol works on the mind and how synthehols could be produced and how they would act. From what I can gather, a synthetic alcohol would work to simulate the dopamine surge to elicit the pleasant mental effects of alcohol without any of the toxic, debilitating symptoms that occur with the breakdown of ethanol. So, pleasant short term buzz without the lasting detrimental effects. Thanks for asking about this, as it caused me to do a bit of research and I can now more competently use synthehol in my sims! :)

• Like 2

Synthehol is a relatively new invention. In the TNG Season 6 episode "Relics", Scotty had never heard of synthehol; Data even went so far to say it had only started being served "recently" (circa 2360s).

21 hours ago, Ayiana said:

Synthehol is a relatively new invention. In the TNG Season 6 episode "Relics", Scotty had never heard of synthehol; Data even went so far to say it had only started being served "recently" (circa 2360s).

Perhaps as a result of the events in Star Trek VI? :)

• Like 1

The way Scotty reacted to it I'd say Scots have a genetic sensitivity to it. ;)

• Like 2