• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FltAdml. Wolf

AFTER THE FORUM UPGRADE: Tips and tricks

Things have changed a bit around here! If you've found a cool feature or a tip to make it easier to find things, please share them here!

I'll start: The forum now inserts paragraphs instead of just carriage-returns/line-breaks. But if you want to continue text on the next line...
like this, hold down the shift key while you press enter/return. 

Also, did you know you can change your Display Name? Click here to go to your settings and change it now. 

The Forums now support Web Notifications on newer browsers. If you select "Allow", anytime there's a notification (new private messages for you, likes on your posts, or a reply to a thread you follow), you'll get a lovely little notification about it without having to be on the forums website itself. Facebook recently introduced that capability too. So if you're using recent versions of Chrome, Safari, Opera or Firefox, then try it out :) Users of Internet Explorer or Edge won't see it though, neither Microsoft browser supports the capability.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Anora Manar said:

The Forums now support Web Notifications on newer browsers. If you select "Allow", anytime there's a notification (new private messages for you, likes on your posts, or a reply to a thread you follow), you'll get a lovely little notification about it without having to be on the forums website itself. Facebook recently introduced that capability too. So if you're using recent versions of Chrome, Safari, Opera or Firefox, then try it out :) Users of Internet Explorer or Edge won't see it though, neither Microsoft browser supports the capability.

For me it is enough to get them via email, so I do not want Browser notifications, but they seem to be enabled once I pressed a "Allow" button once. I just figured if anyone else would like to turn off the browser notifications, this is how to do it in firefox:

There is this little world globe in the address bar. Click on it and "Block" Show Notifications.

A0sbyfC.png

Something similar is in Chrome, same location but it looks like a padlock. :)

Edited by Jalana
  • Like 3

You can now tag people! Just type the @ symbol and someone's display name. 

• Like 3

@FltAdml. Wolf Oh cool!  :w00t:

Hey, has anyone figured out how to "Preview Post" yet, or is that option gone with this latest upgrade?

There are now three themes to choose from:

moderntheme.jpg

• We've installed a new default theme called "Modern" with user-selectable backgrounds (you can pick from one of 6) by clicking on the paintbrush on the top right.

changebackground.jpg

• If you prefer, you can also still use the "Basic Blue" theme.
  • Or you can choose a dark variant of the basic blue theme, known as "Basic Dark."

Just scroll down to the bottom and click on "Theme" to pick among the three. You may need to also manually change your theme to the new default if you haven't noticed the change yet to Modern. Any questions or comments, leave below.

Edited by Roshanara Rahman
  • Like 4

I love the new theme and options for backgrounds! :D

• Like 2

Hi guys, I don't seem to have the paintbrush tool, am I just being an idiot and looking in the wrong place? I want me some stars!

nopaintbrush.PNG

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the theme drop down menu to select Modern instead of Basic Blue. 

• Like 1

Thanks, Commander! As ever, you rock!

Thanks for sharing that! Mine didn't automatically change and I love the stars.

So, I am not sure if this is a problem, but a quirk. Do all forum moderators get notifications of "This post must be approved" or is it just me? I received at least one such notification for the calendar, and one for admissions recently.

22 hours ago, Skyfire said:

So, I am not sure if this is a problem, but a quirk. Do all forum moderators get notifications of "This post must be approved" or is it just me? I received at least one such notification for the calendar, and one for admissions recently.

Yes, all mods should -- it's a job of forum mods to help with stuff like that ;)

Embedding YouTube videos isn't as straightforward anymore. There is no embed or insert video button. You have to write your reply in the Source Code, copy-and-pasting the YouTube video code from the video's share options. I can handle it fine, but the less technical-minded might have trouble, and are reduced to inserting URL links only.

You should be able to just paste the YouTube URL directly into your message, and the forum will automatically embed it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

You should be able to just paste the YouTube URL directly into your message, and the forum will automatically embed it.

Yeah, that's how it works for me :)

Same with Tweets and Facebook posts. 

• Like 1

Oh. Well then. It does. Thanks!

Anyone know why I cannot get my signature back or my image Collective Button? both showing up as the file name minus the htmal coding.

The website and wiki were upgraded to secure connections (https). You will have to manually re-copy and paste your links.

Well figured out where I went wrong, all done :)

Edited by Paul Sharpe

Simple question.

How do you delete attachments?

10 hours ago, Moonsong said:

Simple question.

How do you delete attachments?

Are you meaning for your sig? Go to your signature settings. See both banners under the text box as available attached images to add? If you hover over the image you want to delete you should see the delete/trash can button on the right side of it.

3 minutes ago, Rune Jolara said:

Are you meaning for your sig? Go to your signature settings. See both banners under the text box as available attached images to add? If you hover over the image you want to delete you should see the delete/trash can button on the right side of it.

Thanks for that. Had to hover all over the thing until the bottom right corner. Hopefully I'll remember for next time.

Hello,

Sorry for resurrecting an old topic, and for the silly question that's about to follow, but I have a forum 'how to' question and this was the most appropriate topic I could find.  

How do I insert a quote into my comment if it wasn't already posted on the forum? 

I'm not talking about posting a previous comment, I want to post something that someone else wrote in a sim to the mailing list, and I want to show that I'm quoting that without using "these".