• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Star Trek's Return to TV?

Anora Manar

Yeah, I have no faith at all in this. Look at shows like Minority Report on TV and you can see just how little they adhere to the original template and instead are used as new window dressing on tired formulas.

• Like 1

Hmmm, the fact that they go out of their way though to mention this in the press release:

The brand-new “Star Trek” will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

makes me think they might actually be interested in going back to the morality plays of the previous series. In contrast, I don't remember any of the new JJ-era films every being advertised as anything more than action and nostalgia and some brief lip service to Star Trek's "optimistic view of the future."

Edited by Rich
  • Like 2

Yeah, I just read this too and while my initial reaction was like "OMG YESSSS!" it went all down when I saw who will make it. I HOPE that they won't make this an action series, but actual Star Trek worthy.

While the idea of a new series is good, considering who's behind it, I won't be holding my breath.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the movies. As long as I didn't look for the original Star Trek and just viewed it as a sci fi movie, I'm fine.

• Like 1

Television lends itself to a different kind of storytelling than summer blockbuster movies, though, with more time allowed for character development/exploration, world building, and (assuming it follows current TV trends) season(s)-long story arcs and threads. If one judged prime Trek from just the first ten movies (and especially the TNG films), you wouldn't necessarily think they were from the same franchise that gave us stories like "The City on the Edge of Forever" or "The Measure of a Man."

I think the term that bothers me is "Shake Things Up".

That means different things to different people. And the track record is never good when it comes to my personal enjoyment.

If they go for the dark and gritty realism they will lose me. I want to escape my reality periodically, not keep picking at the scab.

I'm not holding my breath for a quality series given the direction "entertainment" and network television have gone over the past few years.

I am not a fan of having to pay to watch it. Because I already pay for cable, Netflix and Amazon Prime and so on, so having to pay CBS a monthly fee does not set well with me. I also like the JJ Trek Movies as a stand alone movies (I have pretend there just sci fi not trek) So I would really hate if CBS tries to run on that, and I am thinking that is what they want seeing how there hiring Bad Robot guys.

I would hope that CBS would launch a forums to ask what the fans want and then listen to them. I know we all don't want the same thing but from what I read I know a lot of people do not want the JJ universe.

For me what I want is a Star Trek Forensic type show with Medical, Greys Anatomy meets NCIS in trek lol. I would want a good cast of older actors not like some super young captain. I hate building a sexy cast just to get you all hot under the collar.

Captain: Micheal Fassbinder?

CMO: Robert Englund

FO: Kate Winslet

That is the type of cast I would like to see

• Like 1

What do you guys think:
http://io9.com/7-things-we-want-in-the-new-star-trek-tv-show-1740580586

I'd love to see a post-Nemesis series, but I have a feeling it's going to be more like #2 (TNG of the Alternate Universe). I doubt it'll be another Enterprise, though an Enterprise might make an appearance (either a new one, or like in DS9, one of the current ones is in the pilot to "launch" it off).

I recall seeing a comment that the series will not be related to the upcoming movie. This, of course, can mean just about anything.

Now, I'll admit that the rebooted Abrams-verse movies are good sci-fi action. They hit most of the right tropes at the right times. But I'm definitely part of the group that feel they really aren't Star Trek. I'm hoping that the old Star Trek comes back one day, but I don't have much confidence that it'll be anytime soon.

Maybe this new series will do it? Like Sal and others have said, I'm not really holding my breath on this one. I can't even say I'm cautiously optimistic, and I might not even be as good as guarded. (I'm at least up to that point with Star Wars: Force Awakened, but I'd even call that a bit of a stretch.)

Maybe they'll surprise us, or maybe they'll do exactly what we're concerned about. In the end, all we can really do is wait for whatever information comes out. I'm sure we'll join each other in either joy or sadness when the news hits.

No matter what happens, we'll always have our little game. ::Smiles.::

• Like 4

I hope it follows Canon and does a good job with character development and a plot. Special effects are nice, but you can see that in any summer blockbuster. BOOM...BANG...LENS FLARE!.

Give me story and I will find $6 month for star Trek.

• Like 4

I hope it follows Canon and does a good job with character development and a plot. Special effects are nice, but you can see that in any summer blockbuster. BOOM...BANG...LENS FLARE!.

Give me story and I will find $6 month for star Trek.

Yea. I prefer the Prime universe. Not sure about paying for a special "channel." Maybe I'll just wait until it hits Netflix or DVD or something.

On another note, I've always been interested in seeing a series set in a relatively unknown era - the 2290s to the 2360's. In other words, the time where the Enterprise-B and -C roam. We know almost nothing of the era beyond the Khitomer Accords, except that sometime around 2310 the Romulans retreat into their space for the next 50 years, and the Enterprise-C saves a Klingon outpost in 2344. What else happens?

I really want to see a series set on an Excelsior (beautiful ships!), not necesarily the Enterprise, but maybe the Excelsior itself? Hell, bring back Takei as Captain! Plus the uniforms of the era are, in my opinion, the most beautiful.

I don't want Enterprise. Give me something other than an Enterprise, for the love of all things.

I'm just so done with the Enterprise linage. There are other ships in Starfleet than the ones named Enterprise.

• Like 4

The JJ films are certainly entertaining and fun. But as other folks have mentioned on here, a TV series has to be more engaging than a couple of hours of shiny stuff.

If they make something that keeps with the original themes of Star Trek (and sci fi for that matter) by holding a mirror up to modern life, then I'm in. If they make an action show, with shallow characters, then I'll pass.

They have a huge galaxy to play with out there, no reason for alternate universes.

That all said, CSI Starfleet would be pretty cool!

• Like 3

I'm willing to give this a chance since i really enjoy the new movies Alex Kurtzman is also partially responsible for Fringe which is a masterpiece in marrying strong character development and thought provoking science fiction. And if he wants to cast Ana Torv, I'd be more than happy.

• Like 2