• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Star Trek's Return to TV?

Anora Manar

Star Trek: CBS Has No Creative Control Over New Streaming Series: http://screenrant.com/star-trek-tv-show-2017-cbs-streaming/

• Like 2

Well, at least we have confirmation the pilot is going to air on the network. If the numbers are impressive, I wouldn't be surprised if CBS decides to rerun episodes at some point later after their exclusive first-run on CBS All Access.

• Like 1

It would make sense. I'm both worried and happy that CBS has no creative control, as sometimes the networks do prevent creators from running with bad ideas.... and a lot more other times they are the source of terrible ideas.

The way I read that was that CBS Network digision has no creative control, that the show's creative control will lie entirely with the CBS All Access division instead. No idea if that's a good thing or not, or even if that distinction makes a difference in the long run. I feel both have to answer to the same parent company in the end

I like that this is going on a streaming service, its very forward-thinking and a nice 21st century reflection of how TNG was first broadcast in syndication- a relatively new concept back for a new series in 1987.

To be honest, given that I adore Insurrection and have a soft spot for The Final Frontier I'll most probably love this just as long as it doesn't end up resembling Enteprise. It's been over a decade since I subjected myself to the first two seasons (aside from the pilot) and I don't ever want to watch it again.

It's going to depend on All Access and the show's producers. If the they and the showrunner are smart... they'll refer to the bibles that were created for TOS, TNG, DS9 and VOY to establish this new series show bible and continue with the prime universe (which is what I would do- 'cause those take an insanely long time to build from scratch).

Just thinking about it from a writer's perspective, if they didn't add to the existing bibles, I would be one very angry tv writer- :P

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

It's official... it will be on Netflix in 188 countries excluding the US and Canada. In Canada it will be premier on CTV and then move to Space. In the US it will premier on CBS and then be exclusively on CBS All Access. Personally, I won't pay to watch it.

http://www.startrek.com/article/international-broadcasters-set-for-new-star-trek-series

Damn, I'm picking a horrible time to move back to the US!

3 hours ago, Rune Jolara said:

It's official... it will be on Netflix in 188 countries excluding the US and Canada. In Canada it will be premier on CTV and then move to Space. In the US it will premier on CBS and then be exclusively on CBS All Access.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Trellis Vondaryan said:

People thought that about TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise, too...

To be fair, the first couple of seasons of each were awful :)

I guess I won't be seeing it until it's released on DVD. ADSL2 with bad lines in an area your service provider don't wanna come isn't the best host for Netflix. Stupid Australian internet...

Edited by Blake
  • Like 1

"Allamaraine, count to four, Allamaraine, then three more, Allamaraine, if you can see, Allamaraine, you'll come with me..."

::Foams at the mouth, shaking in the corner::

• Like 1

I'll be waiting for DVD as well, because I have enough streaming services in my life as it is.  ::Smiles.:

That being said... I'm actually holding out some hope for this series.  Enough good people are involved in it to give it a solid chance at success.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

And Tatash...  WHY?!?!?!?!?!

5 hours ago, Tatash said:

WHY DID YOU POST THAT?!

I CAN HEAR THE DAMNED SONG, IN MY HEAD, ARGHH

imageproxy.gif

Hmmm, I think my character's cruel sense of humor is rubbing off on me...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tatash said:

"Allamaraine, count to four, Allamaraine, then three more, Allamaraine, if you can see, Allamaraine, you'll come with me..."

::Foams at the mouth, shaking in the corner::

I had forgotten about (blocked out) this until you posted it. Thanks. :ermm::( ::shakes fist::

• Like 2

I have hope for the new series finally breaking some new ground for Star Trek. There have been a good deal of excellent scfi offerings since they were last on the air. Also sensibilities have grown and changed quite a bit, we expect more. Never would this one be told they needed to be more episodic and less serialized. Most shows have season long/several episode arcs these days even if the big plot is only b-plot for the week.

• Like 1