• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Diplomatic Relations

Tracey

Diplomatic Relations  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Is there a chance of the Federation making Peace with the Borg?

Welcome to the Poll of the Week!

I remember watching "Q Who" from the Next Generation and recall the throw away line from Guinan where she said something interesting that I never paid much attention to before, she said something like "When humans are ready, it may be possible to establish a relationship with the Borg, but for now humanity was only raw material to them". Do you think the Borg could ever establish a relationship, even a friendship, with the Federation in the future?

Perhaps there is even an alien species that is worse than the Borg as an enemy? What could be worse than the Borg? Q hinted on the same episode that there are "terrors that would freeze your soul". The Borg may be bad, but there could be worse things out there, deeper in space that the Federation haven't even come in contact with. Perhaps, we are lucky we just saw the Borg, because much worse things lurk farther in space. It would be interesting to see if there are beings out there that that make the Borg look like kittens.

What are your thoughts? Vote away and don't be afraid to post your thoughts below! :)

• Like 1

I remember that line, but I don't think the Federation could negotiate with the Borg, simply due to the Borg's nature. They only see other lifeforms as potential cybernetic, biological, and technological improvements for them, as well as more drones, or raw materials.

Also remember Voyager encountered Species 8472 who could eat the Borg for breakfast. Eventually, Janeway negotiated a tentative cease-fire of 8472's reconnaissance and buildup for invading the Alpha Quadrant, alleviating their fears that the Federation would destroy them.

I voted yes, only because back in the day I played a game with a complex liberated Borg storyline and it worked. Well.

But it takes a dedicated group of writers to harbor a storyline like that. Most people (myself included) don't love the Borg enough - or love them as bad guys more than allies - to dedicate the effort it takes to write something like that realistically.