• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Treknomics

https://www.inkshares.com/projects/trekonomics?ref=producthunt

Not quite sure what to think about this...

• Like 1

Hmm... I'll admit I'm kinda torn too. On one hand, it would be nice to see something dedicated to one of the bigger quandaries of the universe how do people actually handle exchanges!! I can't quite tell from the introduction that's available though how effectively it can answer the question, or even if it can be at all. Do we consider Roddenberry's vision cannon? One of the other writers?

I'm also slightly dubious of the idea of evaluating it from the ideas of economics today, too much has changed by the time of Picard's announcement that “People are no longer obsessed with the accumulation of things. We've eliminated hunger, want, the need for possessions. We've grown out of our infancy.” the energy problem facing us now is more-or-less solved (after all, fusionable materials are the most abundant in the universe and produce unfathomable amounts of energy) allowing, at least on a micro scale, near-infinite access. I mean, even our current basic attempt, DEMO is predicted to produce nearly enough energy to power Great Britain. And that is a pretty inefficient design, imagine what the situation is in the 24th century... And we have at least one of these on every Starship; Starbase 118 has 4. It would be like trying to predict the Greek Debt crisis from the state of farming in Early Medieval Europe.

Personally, I've always been a fan of the idea of the credit being a convenient unit of energy which can be exchanged both in direct terms (i.e. Replicating a sandwich takes 10 credits of energy) and for barter (i.e. it costs 10 + X credits to buy this wonderfully made and locally sourced sandwich from some guy). But I suspect this isn't the place to discuss my ill thought out ponderings that I have when I should be thinking about more important things :P

• Like 2